Replacing DB885 Axle Housing Seals

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

ScottUSA

Replacing DB885 Axle Housing Seals

Post by ScottUSA » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:41 pm

Reduction units are off. The brake shoes on one side are thoroughly soaked with what appears to be rear axle oil, no doubt the oil is the reason the brakes don't work on that side. There are two seals per side visible in the axle housings ends, how are they accessed? There are two small holes in what must be a spanner nut that must be removed? Tapped lightly with a hammer and punch to see if one would turn to no good effect. The shop manual I have does not discuss these seals, only the seals in the reduction units are covered.

Should it turn out that the reduction unit is the source of the oil, how difficult is it to replace the seal behind the brake drum? From the manuals instructions it looks like a job to be avoided if possible.

db2d

Re: Replacing DB885 Axle Housing Seals

Post by db2d » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:49 pm

A puller is required to remove the oilseal housing, it does not unscrew. The holes in the seal housing are threaded for 1/4 BSF bolts. The puller is easily made using a flat bar with threaded holes each end for jacking bolts and two holes for the BSF bolts that are screwed into the seal housing.
The brake drum should ideally be removed with a suitable puller but it can be removed using two 1/2 inch BSF set bolts four inches long as jacking bolts,taking care not to damage the threads in the drum. Heat can be applied initially to assist this process.
Did you secure the diff lock pedal in the fully engaged position before removing the reduction unit?

Gard

Post by Gard » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:05 pm

On the 900 those 2 holes are threaded. A simple special tool is bolted to those holes. 2 more threaded holes in the bar are used to pull that part strait out. It came out easy. There are 2 seals inside that part. I assume the 885 is the same. I may have a diagram or some photos someplace if you like. It was covered in the service manual I have.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:24 pm

The 30C has the same set up but ours originally only had 1 seal in position but was advised to install 2 on reassembly. Best advice I was ever given........ 2 be sure 2 be sure.
There was a bit of a groove on the axle surface where the single oil deal ran so I bought a pair of 'Speedy Sleeves" to install in that position and this gave me a brand new surface for both seals to run on.
Our brake drums were extremely tight after all that time but they did let go but took a lot of patience and Inox. Clean up the axle surface with some fine wet n dry to allow the drum to move easier if you feel that it is necessary to remove the drum.
I also replaced the seals in the reduction box as the cost was not big and only wanted to be here once.

ScottUSA

Post by ScottUSA » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:41 pm

Diff lock is engaged and locked. A 6m X 1 bolt seemed close, local fastener supply house has BSF so will grab a couple of 1/4- BSF of a suitable length and make a "puller".

I must say, the brake shoes DB supplied on these tractors were intended for the long haul... cast iron instead of a steel stamping! I am going to make an effort to reline and retain the originals.

Gard

Post by Gard » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:49 pm

I got the replacement shoes and the long and short copper rivets from davidbrownparts.com. Easy to replace. I could not find a supplier in the US.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:19 am

It was easy to get replacement linings here in Australia but not the long rivets needed for the top and bottom of the shoes. So I simply made them fro aluminium. For the low cost of the linings it is better to replace them then to try and dry them out using thinners to remove the oil.
Long time ago I bought a set of BSF taps and dies from 3/16" to 1/2". Already had BSW so now all threads get cleaned up before re assembly which gives best results when torquing down bolts for accuracey.
This allowed me to make the 'jack bolts' as required as steel stock was already here for such occassions.

Gard

Post by Gard » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Scottusa, What is the name of the local fastener shop that has the BSF bolts? I wonder if they might have a branch near me. The closest I have found is brittishfasteners.com which is several hundred miles so its mail order when I need one or make my own, the BSF tap and die set has come in handy for me also.

ScottUSA

Post by ScottUSA » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:32 pm

Gard, Piedmont Fastener in Mooresville, NC. Be advised, they hit me for $8 for two 1/4"-26 X 1" bolts. I had plenty to say about it but they never offered why so expensive. Look for British bike or car restorers. Found one in Florida with a stock of Brit fasteners last spring after I dropped a BSF nut in our gravel driveway. Spent two weeks looking for a replacement only to find the fore mention Piedmont Fastener two miles from where I work.

Made a tool to remove the seal retainer and have found numerous online sources in the U.S. for replacement brake shoe linings and rivets.