1394 3 point hitch, no height control

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Mover

1394 3 point hitch, no height control

Post by Mover » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:48 pm

Finally got the 1394 to the point it’s ready for work and now found another fault.

I have hitched the post knocked up and I don’t have any control over the height of the linkage, if I move the control lever to the select position the linkage will lift to the highest position. Then if I move the control lever forward against the transport position latch the linkage will slowly drop, meaning as your driveing along the implement ends up on the floor.

Also when you move the control lever forward until the implement starts to lower it will continue to lower until the implement is on the floor. The hitch doesn’t try to self correct it’s height at any time.

Any idea ware I should start looking? Or what the probloem could be?

ollek

Re: 1394 3 point hitch, no height control

Post by ollek » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:15 pm

I do not think there is any problem other than a operating fault. I think that the selector switch is in TCU/External position. You need to select Height position for position control and getting the lower links to move up and down as you move the main control lever. Selector switch to the right is TCU, in the middle is Height control and to the left is Depth control (used for ploughing). There is no transport lock in a 94-series tractor. You will need to get yourself the correct Operators Manual in order to operate the 3-point hitch correctly.
Last edited by ollek on Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mover

Post by Mover » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:26 pm

When I turn the selector switch it doesn’t seem to do anything, as if it isn’t attached to anything inside the gearbox.

Looks like i will have to go in for a look, is it possible to access this if I remove the cover with the oil filler in it?

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:32 pm

It is possible tat someone has broken the roll pin (ref 33 ) that holds the selector switch to the shaft or the R-clip (ref 34) is broken or removed. It can also be that the selector fork (ref 8 ) is broken. Broken pins or fork is a result of abuse and wrong use. Please see the following link https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 0ar1105539 Remove the rear cover (ref 6) in the following link https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 0ar1106125

Mover

Post by Mover » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:37 pm

The r clip is in place so I will have to look inside, is the cover with the oil filler on the best access?

Mover

Post by Mover » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:38 pm

Oops didn’t see the second link, I know what I’m doing now. Thanks, ile keep you posted on how I get on.

Mover

Post by Mover » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:05 pm

Ok I have removed the cover and just wanting to make sure how to proceed before I end up loosing bit down into the gear oil.
5BC6472B-62FC-4E38-BB3E-9F0F960EF22C.jpeg
5BC6472B-62FC-4E38-BB3E-9F0F960EF22C.jpeg (108.54 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
Am I correct in thinking, if I remove the 2 bolts and the extension spring on the right the assembley will lift out giving access to the selection control mechanism?

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:16 pm

Before you do anything else, check that the rocker lever is moving sideways when you turn the selector switch. You should feel 3 distinctive positions for the switch. The rear end of the rocker lever is the black part between the two white legs of the selector fork. Be sure to keep the main control lever as far back as possible (against the force from the return spring) when you turn the selector switch. Forcing the selector switch to move will brake internal parts. It is not possible to do anything to the internal selector mechanism with the valve chest and the cross shaft bracket in place. It there is a problem with the rod that is in contact with the rocker lever, then the complete unite have to come out. Please make sure that the roll pin I mentioned earlier is OK. All parts mentioned are pictured in the parts catalogue pages I have provided earlier.

Mover

Post by Mover » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:56 am

As far as I can see, the only thing that moves is the rod comeing down from the selector switch, the selector switch has about 1/3 of a turn of free movement before it hits a hard stop each way.

I’m going to have a better look tonight, if something is broken inside, is it possible that I could manually select position control, until I have more time to strip it out.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:21 am

The ball (ref 6 in my first link) and the spring locks the selector fork and the rocker lever in the 3 positions. The ball also keeps the selector fork in the position selected. All this is made mechanically and there is no way you can keep the rocker lever in its central position for height control if the ball and spring system does not lock the position selected. If the selector fork does not move sideways, then I have a feeling that the top part of the selector fork or the rod itself is broken.

Mover

Post by Mover » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:59 pm

Ok just been out having a play in the dark, I removed the ram shaft cam follower and bracket. This gave just enough access to get my fingers round to the top of the selector fork and as you suggested the top of the for is broken.

While in there I can move the selector fork easily and can feel the 3 distinct indent positions, I set it to the central position and now the hitch is working as it should. Do you know if the selector forks are still avalable?

Now next question, the linkage drops under load and although it will now auto corrects I would still like to rectify this and might as well be done while I’m in there changing the selector fork. Is there any way to diagnose whether the fault is with the lift cylinder seals or the valve?

Thanks again Ollek you have been a massive help.

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:48 am

If your tractor has a 3-way valve, lift the hitch with a load attached and shut off the engine. Then move the 3-way valve operating lever to position 1 or 2. The lift will drop if the lift cylinder is leaking. If the lift stays up, then the leakage can be in a leaking dump valve or in the hold valve in the valve chest. Clean the hold valve and change the seals in the dump valve before you start to do any major strip down.

gwatts

Post by gwatts » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:52 am

In several places I've seen the same technic for diagnosing a leaking hydraulic system.
If your tractor has a 3-way valve, lift the hitch with a load attached and shut off the engine. Then move the 3-way valve operating lever to position 1 or 2. The lift will drop if the lift cylinder is leaking.
How do we diagnose the same leak down issue if our tractors have no 3 way valve?