885 selectamatic

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Dano41

885 selectamatic

Post by Dano41 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:37 am

Hi this is my first post so hello.I am going to look at an 885 priced at £1400 it has a cab fitted.I have only had massey ferguson before this T20,35 and 135.
I have never driven or had a close up look at an 885 before.Is there anything in particular I should check with this tractor?What do you think about price?Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Scooby

Re: 885 selectamatic

Post by Scooby » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:20 pm

Hello Dano and welcome to the DBTC Forum. No one has answered your post as yet and so I thought I'd help the job along a bit despite the fact that I have never owned an 885. The general consensus of opinion is that they are a gem of a tractor. I am sure someone will be along to help you more but in the meantime I also own a swept axle 135 and have owned a 35X and as you know they are wonderful tractors but I have reason to believe that the 885 will match them and more.
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:59 pm

Thanks Scooby. 135 and 35x round here are all very expensive.It would be great if someone who has owned both could comment and give me an idea of price.

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:08 pm

What I should have said was both the masseys and the 885.

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:29 pm

apart from routine oils and filters especially the hydraulic filter under the top hat sump pan,make sure the gear lever gaiters are in good order,not split and hard,the 885 is a good tractor with some good features,sadly not quite as nimble as the 35x and 135 where you need to be on and off the tractor quickly!
get an operators manual and a workshop manual these will answer a lot of questions!

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:42 pm

Actually Joe is probably quite correct insofar as it is easier to get off a 35x/135 than an 885, especially if it's got a cab on it. But the DB Selectamatic hydraulics were streets ahead of the Massey hydraulics in the day.
Last edited by Scooby on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi,went and had a look again at the tractor started well and the lift working.
Attachments
IMG_3008.jpg
IMG_3008.jpg (196.17 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
IMG_3011.jpg
IMG_3011.jpg (203.92 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
IMG_3020.jpg
IMG_3020.jpg (193.45 KiB) Viewed 3341 times

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:24 pm

I would estimate that the 885 was made in December 1972. Have you got any photos. of the transmission and back end ?
ImageImage

jazo

Post by jazo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:00 pm

That part looks very straight and original!
1394 4wd
1294 4wd
30D
990x2
780x2

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:30 pm

Few more pics.I took a video of the tractor running but probably too long to post
Attachments
IMG_3006.jpg
IMG_3006.jpg (42.24 KiB) Viewed 3302 times
IMG_3017.jpg
IMG_3017.jpg (54.98 KiB) Viewed 3302 times

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:56 am

I see one stabiliser bar, I assume there is a top link somewhere ? Are you conversant with how the Selectamatic hydraulics should work , the different options ? i.e. Depth, Height, TCU/External and have you tested them all. It's not just a question of the linkage going up and down, you have the different options on the selector switch for a reason. It's always a good bargaining position if all is not as it should be. :wink: Why not put the video on Youtube.
ImageImage

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:51 am

Never thought of youtube scooby.What do you think?
https://youtu.be/8K20noSr_Ks

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:45 pm

O.K. The following are possible criticisms but please bear in mind that I've never owned an 885. I have a red 770 with a 3 pot in it and it sounds better than this tractor does on tickover. I thought the engine was a bit noisy but when you opened her up she seemed to get over it. Joe has experience of an 885 and he will tell you if it sounded O.K. Hopefully Ollek will come in as well. What he doesn't know about DBs isn't worth knowing.

There is quite a bad leak on the right hand reduction. That needs fixing or it will rot the tyre. Why is the hydraulic selector dial in the TCU/External position ? Fair enough if it had been doing trailer work or had something like a log splitter on the back but even then Height or Depth should have been used to detach them. I am suspicious of that.

The cab is rotten where they usually are on this type of cab. And there are other cosmetic issues. Lights, mudguards, front grill, etc.

You haven't shown us the gear lever gaiters and they are very important. In the few glimpses that can be seen in the video they don't look too bad but inspect them carefully to see if they have gone hard, have cracks, anything that could allow the ingress of crud. The one abiding thing about Selectamatic hydraulics is that you must keep the oil scrupulously clean. It's not difficult and the advantages of Selectamatic hydraulics are well known to those of us who used to live with them.

In the final analysis, pull all the dipsticks and look at them carefully. (I assume there is a dipstick for the transmissio on an 885) Any sign of water in the engine & transmission ? Has anything emulsified ? And have a look in the radiator. Any oil in there ? If you go to view it again go unannounced. Watch it being started from cold if you haven't already done so. :wink:

It all depends on what you are looking for and the price being asked. Everything is fixable - but at a price.
ImageImage

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:23 pm

Idling RPM is very low, should be appropriately 750.

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:51 pm

I started the tractor from cold on last visit which is when I made the video,it was defiantly stone cold.The engine oil is spotlessly clean like just out of the can.Transmission oil is good with no sign of emulsification but a bit on the low side.Radiator water clear no oil and no bubbles.
Leak in the reduction,is it a big and pricey job?Any idea of rough cost for fix?

"Why is the hydraulic selector dial in the TCU/External position ? Fair enough if it had been doing trailer work or had something like a log splitter on the back but even then Height or Depth should have been used to detach them. I am suspicious of that."
Could you explain a bit more about this please,and how I would test for faults?
The grills,badge and doors are there but not in the video.The asking price is £1400 but I am going to offer £1000.Any thoughts on this what do you think it is worth?Scooby thank you very much for sticking with me.It would be great to hear Joe and Ollek's opinion.