Repowered 50 TD

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Alberta Bolens

Repowered 50 TD

Post by Alberta Bolens » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:47 am

I found an old crawler with dozer blade few months back. The previous Owner had startd to repower it, for health reasons had not finished it. The machine had been sitting close to 10 years. It looked like it could be made to work so I brought it home.

He was using a ford 200 CI inline 6 from a Versatile swather as the new power. It was installed and mostly hooked up, however the Crank shaft and input on the transmission did not line up very good. After a few more modifaction I managed to line things up pretty close. After tuning up the engine, finding good rad, hood and a fuel tank. It runs fairly well. Tracks, rollers, and sprockets are in very good shape. As I had it apart I brushed on some trem clad to spruce it up some. Over all I am pleased with the out come. Crawler is 50TD. Engine, hood, rad are from a Versatile 400 swather.

How it looked as I found it.
Attachments
20170813_110751.jpg
20170813_110751.jpg (232.15 KiB) Viewed 2066 times

Alberta Bolens

Re: Repowered 50 TD

Post by Alberta Bolens » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:51 am

Working it trying it out.
Attachments
20171008_132214.jpg
20171008_132214.jpg (224.21 KiB) Viewed 2064 times

Gard

Post by Gard » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Nice job on the restoration, I love to see old equipment being used even if it is not restored to original condition. Thanks for sharing it

Alberta Bolens

Post by Alberta Bolens » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:40 am

Thanks
I wasn't looking for a machine to restore. I needed a machine to do a couple of projects and re sell. When I bought this I didn't know what make it was until I got it home and did some digging. Tracks n under carriage looked good and it looked like I could make it run with out to much hassle. I picked this up for $600 spent about the same to get it up and running. I am pleased how its turned out.

I think finding parts around here to get this machine back to original would be like finding hens teeth.

John.Newman

Post by John.Newman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:30 am

Regarding availability of parts, I think hens'teeth may be easier to find. Must admit though I had a couple of luck breaks when restoring my 50TD Mk2. Needed a full set of gears and crown-wheel & pinion and picked them up from a farmer in New Zealand. Ended up with 3 15kg packages arriving at our local post office. Yours looks it may be a Mk1 as well by looking at the steering levers as they are wide spaced. Mine are close together between your knees.
IMG_9846-0001.jpg
IMG_9846-0001.jpg (148.67 KiB) Viewed 1808 times

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:34 am

Sometimes you need to find the hens teeth under the frogs feathers for all the planets to align.

Nice work on both machines fellas!
I have a couple of sisters in Toowoomba and I go up to annoy them every now and then.