1594 engine oil pump

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

erkki

1594 engine oil pump

Post by erkki » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:51 am

As far as I know, many 1690/1694/1594 tractors have got new oil pumps during their lifetime because of premature wear of the original ones. I guess that the problem was discovered by the manufacturer during the production years and corrective actions were taken but does anyone know when that possibly took place? Or, on the opposite side, which were the production years or serial number ranges where the oil pump can be a problem?

W.B.R erkki

DB780

Post by DB780 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:45 am

I have a service bulletin dated February 1989 that just notes the material for the rotors has been change from cast iron to steel. There is no mention of a programme of changing the rotors by DB in fact the bulletin notes the cast iron one will be supplied until stocks are exhausted.

There was a programme to change the fixed dog gears in the syncro hub but that was much earlier.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:53 pm

This has essentially been asked on here before, a search might reveal something? I think it was concluded they tend to fail at around 5000 hours and if a machine has got past that it's probably got the correct one fitted, if it's got less than that on it's unlikely to have the bad ones but not altogether impossible.
I know that if I were looking at buying one of these that wasn't well over 5000 hours I'd be seriously considering fitting a replacement from Barcley Williams, given the consequences of pump failure.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:10 pm

When I bought my 1594 Comm. the first thing I did was send it to Barcley Williams to get a new pump fitted. I was busy at the time and didn't have the time to do it myself. And although my tractor went down the line 2 days before tractor production stopped, and therefore it would have had the later type of pump, I still wanted a new pump.

My neighbour had a magpie 1594 that was sick all over the field one day while foraging and all due to the pump problem. That was messy !! (and very expensive)
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:32 pm

Interesting topic - I`ve just replaced `er indoors` car with a Mini Cooper Diesel. Did some research and some of the early N47 diesel engines had issues on the oil fed chain tensioners with serious repair bills if one went bang/wore. Apparently anything early 2011 onwards is fine but BMW/MINI can tell off the engine number `exactly` if its pre or post upgrade.
Trouble is on the 6 Pots no one really knows and there were rumours (hearsay) that at the end of production they were fitting older pumps as they had some left over!!! - but again this is a rumour, then its hearsay, `someone once told me` and next thing its fact (doesn`t help when idiots like me repeat it :roll: ).
To be honest if I ever got one I would do what Scooby did and just fit a new pump and be on the safe side - the pumps are half the cost of a decent crankshaft, you can also get the pumps but the cranks...........

Cheers

Andy

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:20 pm

I lived it on the edge with my 6 cyls!

My 2wd 1594 has since had a full engine rebuild and a new pump. I took the pump out and examined it when I first got the tractor and deemed it serviceable but changed It when it was fully rebuilt.

My 4wd commemorative did bang on 5000 hours when the pump failed. I saw the light come on and pulled the stop. I then realised I was blocking the lane off with nobody around to tow me out of the way. I fired it back up and drove it into the workshop. One new pump later and it's still going strong.

My 1690T is an unknown quantity in the oil pump department and iv no plans to go into it unless I have to. I'm not scared!!

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:32 pm

I'm also living on the edge like James.

Our 4x 1594's have oil pumps of an unknown pedigree / age

Its a tricky one as if something is working should you replace it? Bedwards says if the oil pump has done 5000 hrs+ then it will 'probably' have got the correct one fitted, or is it just lucky ?

I would consider replacing all the pumps but you could be swapping a British Sheffield steel pump for something else.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:10 am

There is another thread on the pumps if its one of the good ones a file will not touch the gears but if its the soft cast gears replace them or the pump. My 1690t was fitted with a buzzer that comes on when oil pressure is low one could be to late picking light coming on if attention is elseware .

erkki

Post by erkki » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:53 am

Thanks for replies. The owner of the 1594 could tell that the tractor has made slightly over 5000 hours with an original pump. Decision has been made to get steel wheels in soon.

W.B.R erkki