weight

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

John

weight

Post by John » Sun May 04, 2014 3:16 pm

please could anyone tell me the maximum train weight of a tractor and trailer you can drive on a car licence

RE: weight

Post by Guest » Sun May 04, 2014 4:25 pm

3500Kg total weight which includes towing vehicle, trailer and load, that's for a twin axle trailer, single will be 1000Kg less. The trailer hitch should have the axle weight stamped on an attached plate. If you have passed your car test after 2000 you need to have taken the trailer test as well but not if you passed your car test before 2000. Refer to the towing vehicles operator/owners handbook and it should tell you, some pickup trucks are only legally allowed to tow 500Kg although you see some towing a digger behind them! Make sure you're within the Law. Also make sure that you are insured to tow a trailer.

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Sun May 04, 2014 4:33 pm

Hi, you would need a C&E ("car" & trailer) license if you passed your test after 1st January 1997.

Post by Guest » Sun May 04, 2014 4:59 pm

Thanks for that case-ih, I didn't think it was quite as long ago as that when it came in!. DVLA website has all the towing regulations and permitted weights on it. There are towing speed limits as well.

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Sun May 04, 2014 5:53 pm

I missed out because of when I did the test. A neighbour can drive an artic lorry up to, say 45 tonnes, but cannot tow a cattle trailer behind a Land Rover (unless he did his C&E).

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Sun May 04, 2014 8:08 pm

Forgive me if I've got this wrong but the c+e category which is the artic category, the c1+e which is the rigid lorry and drag and the b+e which is the standard car and trailer category have no bearing on the agricultural vehicle category. The agricultural category is a completely separate driving entitlement which you are automatically granted on passing your normal driving test. It's denoted by one of the four letters which appear in your driving entitlement information which are f, k, p and q. I forget which is the agricultural category. You do not need your Hgv or car and trailer licence to drive an agricultural tractor with trailer. I could be wrong here but I seem to remember the weight limit for an agricultural vehicle was 20 tonnes which when you consider an 18 tonne silage trailer is available isn't really enough.

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi, yes sorry you are 100% correct- B&E (car a trailer. I'm losing the plot!

I was trying to say that the neighbour did a lorry license (C&E?) and could haul 45 tonnes, but could only tow 1000Kg behind a 'Land Rover'. Also as you say, a 16 year old could drive a tractor at 30-40mph towing 20 tonnes.

A tractor / vehicle can supposedly use the motorway assuming it can do 20mph uphill, although a tractor speed limit on UK roads is 20mph. A local agricultural engineers hires out tankers etc. and they have apparently now got a 4500 Gallon slurry tanker !

Someone said that there are new (UK / EU?) rules that allow larger loads - such as the huge tankers etc. on UK roads, but the driver may have to do a HGV license (C&E type thing)

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Sun May 04, 2014 9:09 pm

I believe there is talk of upping the limits, some modern trailers are capable of carrying such large loads. My own trailer is rated at 12 tonnes and it's only a flat bale trailer. I did my class two Hgv so I could bring tractors in and out which as category c on the licence.

If anybody wants to drive at 16 they do have to take the separate tractor driving test which covers you until you pass your car test, your agricultural vehicle category then comes as standard one you have passed a uk driving test

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:04 pm

In answer to the OP's question, 24 390 kg for the tractor and trailer combination when used in connection with agriculture.

Probably not an issue with most of the DB models, but it is very easy to fall foul of it when using the bigger stuff - some gear approaches that limit before the trailer is even filled!

Post by Guest » Sun May 04, 2014 10:24 pm

The agricultural entitlement on your driving license is category f. Unless it has changed you can drive a tractor towing an un-laden trailer but not a laden trailer until you reach the age of 21 then you can tow a trailer laden but under the Highway and Agricultural Vehicle Law you are restricted to 5 Tons (Imperial weight). Rule of thumb is that you can only pull or tow behind an agricultural vehicle a machine or laden trailer on the public highway to the weight specified by the manufacturer of what the drawbar of the tractor is stated to be able to carry on it, this weight is measured as drawbar weight, the down force at the hitch point. Any towed equipment with a drawbar weight of more than 10cwt (half a Ton) had to be fitted with a braking system that was accessible from the tractor seat, that meant the 'hand brake' that was on trailers, or an 'overrun' braking system. This is for tractors that were not manufactured with or fitted with a coupled braking system. The modern tractors now have to comply with the modern Laws but the old Laws for older tractors still apply, and, as far as I know, the 21 years of age one still applies.

Apologies to John, wrongly assumed it was what you could tow behind a car. Your car license covers or allows you to drive a commercial ridged body vehicle up to 7.5Tonnes, for weights above and articulated vehicles (other than agricultural) it's more tests and different catagories. On your car license you're basically allowed to drive your car, an agricultural machine, a pedestrian controlled vehicle or mowing machine, invalid carriage, road roller, track laying machine steered by its tracks, a moped, any motor bicycle, (with or without sidecar) and one or two others. All the information will be on your licence if it's a 'full' one.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:32 pm

Yes, tractors are category F. You can pass a test at 16 and can then only tow a two wheeled (single axle) trailer, or with 4 wheels close coupled. No rullys or triple axles. There is also a width restriction (2.45m).

At 17 years old these limits are removed. You are then just restricted by the 24390kg combined weight limit, the usual widths, braking legislation and of course the drawbar, tyre and axle loads permitted by the manufacturer.

Powerrabbit, I think you have become confused with the 21 year age thing. It does not apply to tractors, but I think that you can't drive combines until you are 21.

Post by Guest » Sun May 04, 2014 11:08 pm

Long time ago I took all my tests now, it was 21 at that time before you could tow a loaded trailer over a certain weight. All these modern tractors should never be allowed to pull the weights that some are pulling or proposing to and even then the driver should, below a certain age of maturity should have a certain level of professional training.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Mon May 05, 2014 12:05 pm

Bedwards is right. Poewerrabbit i suggest you are in your dotage.
All agricultural tractors can be driven from the age of 16 with a trailer up to gross 24390 Kg if you have passed your test, with a width restriction until you are 17. From 17 on you can drive up to 24390 with a A cat F licence which comes with a car licence, or you can drive it on L plates worth a provisional.
This has always been the case.
I do not necessarily agree it is right.
Note that tracked vehicles are a nightmare, they can however be driven as a provisional driver with a car licence and Lplates but most need to be over 21 as do most combine harvesters and other self propelled harvesters due to weight considerations

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Mon May 05, 2014 12:11 pm

If a driver has got a licence to drive 48 tonnes then he will automatically have a Cat E licence allowing him to pull a 3.5 tonnes trailer behind a land rover

cropfaster

Post by cropfaster » Mon May 05, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi, This is appalling.It took ages for anybody to come up with the correct answer. The man is asking for the maximum weight for a tractor and trailer, yet the first half a dozen answers were about pickups and 3.5 ton trailers.

If Farmers and tractor enthusiasts cant get it right, then no wonder the police and public are so clue less.

Well done Bedwards.