DB Club in Australia

It is intended that group Members should email events@dbtc.co.uk to have their events posted here. It is recommended that members of this group have the email option set to always inform them of new posts.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

ollek

RE: DB Club Australia

Post by ollek » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:19 pm

Helo all from "down under".
Is there anyone who can give me an e-mail address to John Gant. John was the Service Manager for Australia when I was the Service Manager for Finland and we met at Service Managers Confreances in Meltham.

Regards Karl from Finland

tomwill

Post by tomwill » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:11 am

cobbadog wrote:How did the meeting go last weekend Tomm.
Very well we covered quite a few things including our entry into the Australia National Vintage Field Days held Mudgee NSW May 2013.We hope to have up to 60 DBs there,Also we may have a display at the Australian National Fields at Orange NSW in October i am on the Field day commitee and will be pushing for that.Cheers Tom Williams DBTC AUST

tomwill

Post by tomwill » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:20 am

tomwill wrote:Tom Williams wins NSW ploughing championships at Orange NSW on the last weekend in May 2011. Driving his DAVID BROWN 885. Regards TomWill. AUST
I retained my NSW title over the Queens Birthday weekend useing my 885, the tractor now sports front chassis weights giving it better balance hence the heavy KV plough.cheers Tom Williams

tomwill

Re: RE: DB Club Australia

Post by tomwill » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:27 am

ollek wrote:Helo all from "down under".
Is there anyone who can give me an e-mail address to John Gant. John was the Service Manager for Australia when I was the Service Manager for Finland and we met at Service Managers Confreances in Meltham.

Regards Karl from Finland
I received a Xmas card from John he is 88 years old and lives in the Berry town south of Sydney. TW

colen

Post by colen » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:27 am

We will be attending the Biloela Rally & Trek in July, with our 1951 Super Cropmaster. We are currently enroute via NE NSW and Southern QLD and are keen to catch up with other DB enthusiasts. we are on the road until end August in an old Mercedes bus towing the tractor on a tandem trailer.
Neil Cole
Publicity Officer/Newsletter Editor,
DB Club of Australia

ianoz

Post by ianoz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi Neil , As long as we have a truck back on the road by then ,Should be out there with a David Brown 30T crawler . Hope we can catch up with each other . Ian .

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Gearbox Oil

Post by cobbadog » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:31 am

I have a David Brown Cropmaster approx 1954 model, that has water in the gearbox and I am about to drain it, fix the problem on how the water is getting in and refill it. Questions are:
1 - What grade of oil is suitable for the gearbox? I know the book states 3 1/2 gallons (15 - 16 litres).
2 - What type of filter is in the bottom of the box just above the drain hole? Is it advisable to take it out and clean it or can it be cleaned or replaced?
Water came in through the gear lever as they had no boots for I don't know how many years. I have got replacements to fit and also I have put a small piece of oil soaked felt on the dip stick to minimise anything going down that way.

cobbadog

RE: Gearbox Oil

Post by cobbadog » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:11 am

Also, what are the part description and numbers for buying new Coil, points and condensor the the old Cropmaster? I would like to get some as spares, just incase.

colen

Re: RE: Gearbox Oil

Post by colen » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:53 pm

cobbadog wrote:Also, what are the part description and numbers for buying new Coil, points and condensor the the old Cropmaster? I would like to get some as spares, just incase.
The filters above the engine and gearbox drains are simple mesh design and should be removed and cleaned before you change the oils. You can buy a tractor oil which is part lubrication and part hydraulic. Can't help you with numbers at the moment, not at home. Regards
Neil & Robyn Cole,
Webmaster/Newsletter Editor, :shock:
DB Tractor Club of Australia

db2d

RE: Re: RE: Gearbox Oil

Post by db2d » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:46 pm

The oil I use and recommend for the gearbox is SAE 90 grade gear oil .If you use a mult grade ( thin ) oil the old hydraulic pump will not like it. Remove the plate and clean the filter and magnet first

cobbadog

RE: Re: RE: Gearbox Oil

Post by cobbadog » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:39 am

Thanks for the tip about the filter. Have ordered SAE 90 and will be here next week. Now have a mix of petrol and diesel in the gearbox to wash the emulsified oil out. First lot did remove some of it from the gearbox but the diff is still a thick mess. Have put another 16 litres of mixed fuels in drove back n forth and parked it uphill to try and get the mess dissolved. Don't want new and old oils mixing.

jimh

Parts supplier for 880A Selectamatic in Australia

Post by jimh » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:56 am

Does anyone know where or from who in Australia I may be able to buy these 1970 DB 880A Selectamatic parts from please,
I've quoted part numbers from an original DB parts book
but the numbers may have changed, these are the two little bearings and pins that are pushing on the thrust bearing carrier, page 30 in my 1968 DB parts book and the two spring clips, page 22. The engine is currently out and off getting sleeved and fully rebuilt, so I'm fitting complete new clutch at the same time and have found these little bearings have flattened off from use so nice to fit new ones if available here in Aust'

Thanks in Advance Jim

Parts required:

Two of # 900349 Pivot pin - clutch fork roller (for clutch foot control)

Two of # 620260 Needle roller bearing (for clutch foot control)

Two of # 900348 Roller - clutch fork (for clutch foot control)

Two of # 900359 Spring clips - for bearing carrier
Jim

1970 DB 880A Selectamatic
1963 DB 880 Implematic

tomwill

RE: Parts supplier for 880A Selectamatic in Australia

Post by tomwill » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:08 am

Try Jack French at Magnet Spares Tamworth NSW 0267658844 Cheers Tom Will AUST

jimh

RE: Parts supplier for 880A Selectamatic in Australia

Post by jimh » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:45 am

Thank you Tom, Thats great, I will certainly give him a call :D

Kind Regards Jim
Jim

1963 DB 880 Implematic

jimh

Post by jimh » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Some sucess with my parts, I rang Jack French in Tamworth and found him to be a talking David Brown Encyclopedia ! Very Very knolledgeable Chap who's been in the David Brown buisness since the 1960's, Thank you Tom W, for Jack's contact info, I can now recommend him to other Aussies who may need some help and from a genuinely nice fellow too :D

Jack was able to help with most of my parts but not the very tiny little needle roller bearings that push on the thrust bearing carrier on my Selecta 880 he says a common fix was to machine some solid ones out of tufnol or other hard machinable plastic, So I willl have to look into this now, I always wanted a small bench lath :D

Here's Jacks number again for anyone looking for parts in Aust' 0267658844 Give Jack a call !

Thanks again JIM
Jim

1963 DB 880 Implematic