Explained Hydraulics Please.....Newbie

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

jimbobjames125

Explained Hydraulics Please.....Newbie

Post by jimbobjames125 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:28 pm

I have a david brown 885, we run a small sheep farm. I am unsure about the hydraulics on the tractor, to the left of the seat there is the output selector? Which positions do what? to the right of the seat is obviously the up and down! and there is a 3 point selector, depth, height, tcu/external, what does what?
Mainly i ask this because i have a tipping trialer comming and not a clue as to how to tip her, also, im using a tractor box to level some ground, at the moment all its doing is lifting the tractor box up as i reverse, how do you make te hydraulics 'stiff' ? please me, ! cheer James :oops:

colin6224

RE: Explained Hydraulics Please.....Newbie

Post by colin6224 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi James
On the left is the 3-Way output selector which has four positions from left to right.
1. Output 1 - Usually tipper outlet for cart.
2. Output 2 - Usually available for loader.
3. Lift Arms
4. Output 1 / Lift arms together (ie whichever operates mostl easily)

On the right is the Up and down lever, the lift handle. Basically pull the lever back (against the top spring in necessary) to tip a cart and push forward to lower.

The 3 point selection can generally be left in the middle Hieght position although some prefer to change positions depending on task. To shift the selector push lift handle (up down lever) fully back against the spring and then move selector tp required position.
From now on the lift handle will move the lift arms up or down if lift arms are selected by 3 way valve. If tipper outlet is selected the cart will tip when the lift handle is up and lower when the lift handle is down.
As for leveling ground etc. The hydraulics can raise the lift arms but only gravity lowers them. They are never forced down. If you want to use the tractor box to level ground you will need to add weight to the box.

Best adivice is to buy a tractor operators manual from the club shop. These contain all the operation and service information that you will need to maintain your tractor and are well worth having.

Colin

jimbobjames125

Post by jimbobjames125 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks so much? I understand now,! What do the 3 positions actually do? Tcu etc? as for keeping the arms stiff, on fords you can make the arms stiff, so they dont lift up unless the lever is pulled, ?

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:14 pm

Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

colin6224

Post by colin6224 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Hieght position sets the height for the arms. Usually used with things like transport boxes, buck rakes and anything that isn't in the ground.
Draft is designed for implements pulled through the ground. There is a sensing link on the top link attachment point which reacts to the load, ie how hard the ground is. The lift arms are then lifted or lowered to even out the load. A cultivator would lift out of the ground if the ground was harder and drop further in with soft ground.
TCU is described in the operators manual as being for "Implements with depth wheel ( gauge wheel)" I think the idea is that with a towed plough you can try to lift the plough just enough to give the tractor extra grip by moving the lift arm forward (its marked on quadrant scale). More commonly it is used for external tipper functions where lift handle fully back is to tip, a bit forward will hold while further forward will let it fall. When you get your cart try it. You won't break anything unless you really try.
As I said for most of the time it can remain in height.
I have never heard of a way to make the arms go stiff but it has never been a problem. Most cultivating implements will pull themselves down and a scraper or leveller usually has enough wieght to do the job.

Colin

jimbobjames125

Post by jimbobjames125 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:13 pm

Thanks so much people :-D its all understood now.... Cheers

tdickson

Post by tdickson » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:51 am

As an after thought... has anyone recorded a video of the proper usage of DB hydraulics? Using different implements like: plough, cultivator, FEL, jib, tipping trailer, log splitter, etc. Could be a handy campanion for the 'Service Day' DVD. A picture tells a thousands words...but a movie tells the story.

TD
1967 David Brown 880A / 540113
1968 David Brown 880A / 550795

tdickson

Post by tdickson » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:25 am

Ok... just had a closer look at the DTBC DVDs in the shop. Is it Vol #2 that includes "switch to selectamatic' archive footage?
1967 David Brown 880A / 540113
1968 David Brown 880A / 550795