the best db of all time?

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

dbdave

RE: the best db

Post by dbdave » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:19 pm

has to be the 1490 for me
oures is a good tool it nice to drive, makes a nice noise and dosent batter a eye lid on the 8ft mower in low 3rd.
mine is also ballasted and has a db gd90 loader witch makes it struggle on the road with big weight, take loader of and its a pocket rocket.

the 880 is a brill little tractor ours starts without cold start in all weathers all ways has been reliable (bin in familly since new) and has done has over 8500 on the clock

RWSykes

Post by RWSykes » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:25 pm

Now chaps, it's not often I do this, but I feel I must offer my humble opinion. I loved driving an 880 in my youth. And the 25D and Cropmaster have obvious merits. But the real essence of David Brown for me is the 990. If you take the 990 as spanning the Implematic, Selecatamatic and Synchro era's, in various manifestations of cabbed and cabless, surely the 990 is the bedrock on which all the other models have lived off. Without the 990 inspiration, none of the later models would have been possible. This breadwinner was the heartbeat of Meltham for so many years, and drew on all the good points of the previous models. Although I now play out on a 1390, it is but a 990 with mod cons. So in terms of history, finance and legend, surely we should salute the 990????? I defy you to disagree!

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:54 pm

the 990 is a four pot and it only has three main bearings,and db did a head to head with a mf 65 and guess what the mf won hands down and to cap that db produced a book showing all their tests with each tractor,     no got to be the 880!             regards               joe

dbdave

RE: 990

Post by dbdave » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:08 pm

the 990 imp is a very good db oures is very good plenty of power i would pick one over a mf 65 any day

joeproctor

Re: RE: 990

Post by joeproctor » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:19 pm

dbdave wrote:the 990 imp is a very good db oures is very good plenty of power i would pick one over a mf 65 any day
i know both tractor and the db will not be the one i put my money on unless we are talking 'fuel economy'!
regards
joe

Madders

Post by Madders » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:59 pm

Cropmaster is good if you have the feet of an underdeveloped foetus. I would have to drag a plough by hand if a Croppy was all that was available....

regards

Big Foot
[.................................[/size] Image

ttpilot

Post by ttpilot » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:48 am

now driver thems fighting words !! ha ha We all know that skill was involved in operating the older machines ! Some have to resort to the newer high horspower fancy pantsy girlie machines to get the job done ! Not only was the Cropmaster the best she was the best looking and of course the ladies love the Cropmaster ! :twisted: A picture is worth a thousand words!
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x76/ ... deo136.jpg

joeproctor

best db

Post by joeproctor » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:10 am

doug if you clag any more weights on that poor little cropmaster somethings gona break!
regards
joe

RE: best db

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:00 am

Horses for courses really as it depends on the working conditions and aplications that the tractor has to work in and which model suits the individuals needs. In my oppinion, the best all-round tractor that David Brown ever made, which is bourne out by many of the farmers of the time in these parts from their memories and experiences of them, was the Selectamatic 880. A strong, rugged and very capable tractor for its size and power and its versatility in what it could, and still will do. An engine that was very torqy, if that's the right word, and extremeley economic on fuel. The 780 comes very close having the same engine but more suited to the smaller farm. The 885 also comes into the same league but I am unsure that the extra two horsepower of the engine makes it any more of a tractor. The majority of farmers around this part of the Country that were and still are to a certain extent D.B. diehards, have all had an 880 and several still do, and they all agree that this model, for the work it had to do, was the best D.B. model that they ever had.

thomasven

RE: best db

Post by thomasven » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:40 am

lots of love for the 880 selectamatic then i am glad i have one
1 880 selectamatic
1 1200 selectamatic
1 1210
1 25d (seized engine project tractor)

6-POT-PHIL
Location: Huddersfield, W Yorks. (Home of David Brown Tractors)

Post by 6-POT-PHIL » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:31 am

I think as long as its got a DB badge on and was made in Meltham you can't go far wrong. Each of the DB models are good in their own way. We've had a few 995/6's over the years and for the size of them they will do anyting you can throw at them, they make excellent loader tractors for digging out etc.
(yes i know i'm bigging up a 4 pot!! :D )
My dads 950 is also great, starts faster than a lot of modern cars which to say its 49 years old is amazing and just shows how over engineered they are.

Those 6 pots are'nt bad either!! :roll: :roll:

Phil :D
1961 850 Implematic Ex DB test tractor (now sold)
1960 950 Implematic
1970 990 12 speed Selectamatic
1976 996 Loader tractor
1987 'E' 1594 4WD Hydra-Shift
1985 'C' 1694 4WD Hydra-Shift
ImageImage

Six in line sounds mighty fine!!

thomasven

Post by thomasven » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:37 pm

did you just say those 4 and a half pots aren't bad either what is it every one keeps saying about crankshafts and why?

3 and 4 pots are what you need
1 880 selectamatic
1 1200 selectamatic
1 1210
1 25d (seized engine project tractor)

jimc1390

Post by jimc1390 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:47 pm

rw made a good point about the 990, its true its been there all the time, i got one myself, bit more handy weight up front than the 990,
db 990 selectamatic
case ih 1594 com ed
db 1390 gd90 loader

john1694

Post by john1694 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:31 pm

For me personally it is the 996....nothing I ever witnessed broke them! Excellent power-to-weight ratio, and they would out-perform their peers any day.
Close second is the 880. Still see some of them roaring about the area to this day...and none of them given any TLC!!

jimc1390

Post by jimc1390 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:34 pm

your right john, like i said before fathers 996 was hammered, never looked after at all!! i loved my 1390 but fathers 996 had far less troubles, drank less diesel and outpulled me everytime
db 990 selectamatic
case ih 1594 com ed
db 1390 gd90 loader