Cant dislodge steering wheel.

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Kiwi Will

Cant dislodge steering wheel.

Post by Kiwi Will » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:47 am

Hello there.
1979 990
Im having trouble getting the steering wheel to come off the shaft. I haven't a puller to fit over it. I have tried to belt the living daylights out of it (that plastic even being nearly 40 yrs old has held together!) but it still won't budge.
Has anyone got an idea how one might be able to remove it?

Cheers
Will

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:01 am

1. Soak some WD40 into the top for days.
2. If you haven't got a puller then make one.
3. Screw a nut back on the shaft as far as you can leaving a thread or two showing, tension up the puller, then tap the end of it.

I think it's a Woodruff key on the shaft.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:01 pm

Yes, all Selectamatics up to the 90 series had a keyed shaft and it's that ************ of a key that holds it on so tight.

erkki

Post by erkki » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:54 pm

WD 40 works if it can penetrate betweenthe surfaces. However, there are liquides which are made for peneterating to any gap which exicst.Soorry, I cant give commericial brands, but whatever is made for liquid penetrating testing, will work. A mate of mine keeps on driving by old mercedes and he said that there is no problem in opening bolts when using LPT things to loosen them.

RGDS

johnh

Post by johnh » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:13 pm

I had the same trouble a few months ago and, if i remember rightly, the thing that worked in the end was backing off the nut(s) under the steering wheel which will force the wheel off fairly easily. i didn't manage to shift mine with pullers as they would just pull lumps off the plastic and i didn't have one that would fit in any more of a suitable way to stop that happening.

The problem you will face though, is to find a spanner that is 38mm (check that to be sure) but also thin enough to fit in the available gap. What i did was get a bit of 6mm plate and grind a slot to make a thin spanner and bingo, off came the wheel.

hope this helps.

jetmech98

Post by jetmech98 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:46 pm

The best liquid penetrant I have found is AeroKroil. A close secound would be Mouse Milk or LPS 2. I am not sure if these products are available in the UK though you might search for them.

johnh

Post by johnh » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:37 pm

If the Mouse Milk don't work you could try Cat Milk after to get it out :lol:
Last edited by johnh on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnh

Post by johnh » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:38 pm

Sorry. 8)

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:00 pm

You can make up a steering wheel puller, a large thick steel washer a bit bigger than the steering wheel centre and cut out one side to allow it to go over the shaft, you need 2 of these, one to slide under one side and the other for the other side to complete the circle as it were, drill a hole through both washers, one hole in each, length of bar x 2 threaded bottom end with a nut, put said rods up through holes in washers and the top end, inch or so wide steel plate, drilled each side in line for each rod to go up throug, larger hole in the niddle and have a hard steel bolt ground to fit the tapered 'hollow' in the top of the shaft, nut under the plate, hold bolt head with spanner and turn the nut upwards. Steering wheel should then pop off. I hope all this was fairly easy to follow!

Kiwi Will

Post by Kiwi Will » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:15 am

Hey, these above proves it! Tis time to give my head a rest and just get others to sort my problems. :lol:
Never heard of mouse milk. (or cat milk) have you fellas been on the turps? AeroKroil? nup, ain't heard of that either.
Done the WD40 trick but to no avail. Powerrabbits suggestion sounds a good-un. I'll give that a crack sometime when things ease off. Thanks guys.

slider

Post by slider » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:26 pm

HOWES penetrating & lubricating spray has never let me down but it's getting harder to find

dfoss

Post by dfoss » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:31 pm

Cellulose thinner is pretty good too - and more likely to be kicking around the shed somewhere.
I knew a guy who bought an old bailer - completely rusted up, or so it appeared - at an auction. All winter he wandered round it periodically and soaked it in diesel. Next year he gentled it into life and we used it for years. Diesel and patience!!!
dfoss
880/E Implematic Livedrive 525554 Reduction Ratio 11/49 AD3/40A 4865 + trip bucket loader.

john1694

Post by john1694 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Diesel can work wonders - no doubt about that. My cleaning tank was full of it for years, and I frequently used it as an "easing/cleaning" medium. Certainly I used it in abundance for cleaning engines/trans/hyd components before and during reassembly.
Cheap too! ( Relatively ).

Madders

Post by Madders » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:33 pm

boys ! boys!! calm down!!

if pullers and big ************ hammers won't move it, no amount of 'squirt' will have any effect.

With the 770 after all the abuse in me the sod wouldn't budge, it then dawned on me that the key was 'cockeyed' in the keyway...If I'd had the drill with me at the time I could have drilled it out, in the end all I had was the grinder and as It was a cack wheel it got hurt.

It'll be the key on the ************....sort that out and off she pops (probably into your teeth!!!)

good luck.
[.................................[/size] Image

joeproctor

steering wheel removal,

Post by joeproctor » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:47 pm

are you trying to salvage the wheel or are you going to change it any way,
undo the nut but donot remove when it cracks so could your teeth!then welt it with the biggest hammer you can wear a full face screen/visor