1941 DB VAK1

This is for members to post photos of their restorations, either completed or "works in progress"

Moderator: admin

jackh2

1941 DB VAK1

Post by jackh2 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:32 am

Hi,just a quick story and a few pics of our David Brown VAK1. my grandfather, Jack Hunter senior, bought it brand new in 1941 off Pentland's in Gortin for £300. which is sort of equivilent to me going out and buying a 936 Fendt now. lol
It had a hard life, working 24 hours a day sometimes. drawing meal and fertilizer from the docks in lderry to a farm shop in omagh then all round the country to farmers during the day and then ploughing all night. it is suprisingly fast for such an old tractor. it would hit 25mph on the road and runs on TVO (petrol paraffin mix)
slightly off topic but a story granda has told me quite a few times- they were working in a field one day and somehow the workman managed to drive over grandas leg with the metal tracked back wheel of the tractor(no tyres even), then the workman fainted so the tractor was stuck on top of him for ages. he spent 27 weeks in omagh county and still has the holes in his leg where he had pins in to prove it lol.
heres a pic of my granda working in one of our fields with it.

and one of two randomers in it sitting in our yard. noone can identify them lol

obviously it was neglected over the next number of years when it was no longer needed and ended up lying outside in a heap, 25 years ago my uncle started to do it up but only got the engine sorted AFAIK. then about 5 years ago my grandad decided he wanted it restored so a local vintage tractor mechanic took on the job and many weeks later this was the end result.

it has all the original panels and also (very rare) original cast iron grill, headlights, battery box etc. and we have still got the receipt for the tractor and 3 point linkage which was bought later and put on. also the original owners manual and parts and service book.
we had it at a few shows when it was first restored including a special DB event near belfast which had hundreds of Davy Browns but none like this. there are very few in the country and id imagine this could be the only one with its original owner.

heres a pic of the man himself with the tractor at our yard.

and one of him and my father at castlederg vintage rally a few years ago.

im currently working at it myself, as the engine wasnt running right. i have the whole thing stripped to the bare engine block and am now sourcing liners, seals and gaskets to replace the old ones as there was water getting into the sump which i believe was the liner seals and water getting into the cylinder which i think was caused by porous liners. so hopefully i will have everything fitted and built again soon so the old man can see it going again, (hes currently very ill in hospital) and hopefully we can get it to a few more shows in the summer.

anyway sorry i went on a bit but thats the story with the tractor, let me know what yous think.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:32 am

That's a very interesting story Jack and thank you for sharing it with us.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:22 am

yes a very interesting story,is it possible to show us some more close up pictures on the rear link arms and control levers.as i would like to see how it differs from the 1943 model that i have and hope to restore this year.
regards
joe

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:26 am

Jack. The photo of your Grandad beside the tractor looks farmilliar, was the tractor measured up and photographed some time back by Gerald and Martin Leftley for the model VAK1 that they (G&M Originals) produced?

jackh2

Post by jackh2 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:13 pm

thanks for the comments
Powerrabbit wrote:Jack. The photo of your Grandad beside the tractor looks farmilliar, was the tractor measured up and photographed some time back by Gerald and Martin Leftley for the model VAK1 that they (G&M Originals) produced?
im not sure about that. im going to see him tomorrow id ask him but he cant chat at the minute. ill ask my dad maybe he will know.

jw880

Post by jw880 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:00 am

Lovely machine and a lovely tale to tell, great to see its stayed in one family all its life :) Best regards to you and your Grandad.
1968 David Brown 880 Selectamatic

Robert10100

Post by Robert10100 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:39 pm

Did you add additional gauges during the restoration?

Also, were the wheels changed to 24" to get new tyres to fit?

Was the front grille white? Most interesting!

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:32 pm

I notice that in the b&w pictures that the grille is a different colour. This would not have been white but actually a light grey, like the Ferguson Brown. The grey grill tells me that the tractor is a very early production VAK1. That makes the tractor more interesting. Tell us the serial number Jack and we could then confirm it's date of birth.

jackh2

Post by jackh2 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:28 am

hi thanks again for all the comments, sadly my grandad passed away early this morning. he was a true david brown man and would have loved seeing all these comments of appreciation for the great work he did with his most prized possesion. he really was a great man and will be sadly missed.

powerrabbit thats very interesting, he never mentioned a grey grill to me. the serial number is 2960. engine number 3622 if that helps, thanks.

robert thats the original gauge on the bonnet, not sure about the dash but id say they are original as he wanted it as near original as possible, and im not sure about the tyres but we have the original steel wheels so maybe the rims tyres were bought later?

nevilleporter

Post by nevilleporter » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:53 am

Jack, sorry to hear about your grandfather passing away.
A very interesting story of the VAK1, thanks.

db50d

Post by db50d » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:23 pm

Hello Jack,

Please accept my condolences on the death of your grandfather.

And thank you for your great story and photo`s

Martien Hermans
Owner of :

DB 50D VAD/6-10777
DB 50TD TAD/6-10019
DB CROPMASTER P 15905
2x DB CROPMASTER NARROW N 10142
DB VAK1 1944
DB 900 1957
DB 770 Red 1965 770a/580808/S
DB 880 IMPL. NARROW 880/C/395263
DB 990 Impl, 1964 990a/472077/s
DB 990 1978
DB1490 30/11184178
DB1594 115 26657

www.davidbrowntractor.nl

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:26 pm

Jack.

Will you please accept on behalf of the David Brown Tractor Club, all of it's members, and all who visit this web site our deepest sympathy for the loss of your Grandfather.

It sounds as if he was a man of great character and fortitude and he certainly witnessed the peak of British manufacturing and engineering and he was very fortunate to be able to do that.

Requiescat in pace.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

jackh2

Post by jackh2 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:56 am

thanks for the kind messages. he was well known and respected throughout the country which showed tonight with a massive turnout at the wake with people from all parts showing up and i dont think anyone could have a bad word to say about him.
ill keep you all updated with my work on the tractor and hopefully get it back to its former glory again soon like he would have wanted.
regards, jack h jnr

jackh2

Post by jackh2 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:26 pm

im off on easter holidays so im going to start work rebuilding the engine next week. thanks to peter williams of davidbrownparts.com for his help in supplying all the parts. ive got-
4 cylinder liners, seals and copper spacing rings
full piston ring set
complete top and bottom gasket set
oil and air filter
water distribution tube for head.
i also need to clean up some of the valves and pistons and flush out the block.
hopefully this will get the tractor running again.
hopefully this

nevilleporter

Post by nevilleporter » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:00 am

Jack, your tractor should be running well when you get all the new parts fitted.
Will you be able to bring it to Castlederg Vintage Rally on the 18th June to put in the DB display? if someone else could bring a Commerative 94 DB, that would be the full range from 1941 - 1988. best regards, Neville
http://www.portertrailers-tractors.co.u ... 9&Itemid=6