David brown 780 Scraper tractor to Wedding transport

This is for members to post photos of their restorations, either completed or "works in progress"

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Henry&Saly

David brown 780 Scraper tractor to Wedding transport

Post by Henry&Saly » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:02 pm

Evening all, I have been posting on the forum for a while now.

I think its about time i started a new thread with pictures documenting it progress.

So, we inherited this 780 from my partners grandfather. Having done some tractor restoration in the past i jokingly said that the 780 would be fantastic for taking the newly wed couple from the church back to the family farm on the 17th of August this year. And so the idea was born!

Originally we thought that this was the original tractor bought new for the farm, it turns out that this one was a replacement about 10 years ago with various bits and pieces swapped over to keep it going and scraping out the cows. Circumstances changed and the remaining 780 was parked up and left for around 4 years.

This really was how it came out the shed, cow sh1t and all! Booster pack and pumped up tryes and she eventually kicked into life.
dvHrzk5w.jpeg
dvHrzk5w.jpeg (230.76 KiB) Viewed 400 times
pvMKRwAw.jpeg
pvMKRwAw.jpeg (154.68 KiB) Viewed 400 times
I had no knoweledge of the tractor or what worked or didnt at this point. the gears selected, the breaks where working and it drove onto a trailer to get it home.
ewaGFEPw.jpeg
ewaGFEPw.jpeg (112.86 KiB) Viewed 400 times
After a few hours with the steam cleaner and a crow bar to remove the solid dried crap it was time to see what we had taken on.
xpnjF4bw.jpeg
xpnjF4bw.jpeg (103.08 KiB) Viewed 400 times
Obvious problems where breaks that where stuck together, core plugs leaking.
qSMK5K5w.jpeg
qSMK5K5w.jpeg (157.32 KiB) Viewed 400 times
Front wheel bearings and king pins where shot
ToebvR8Q.jpeg
ToebvR8Q.jpeg (242.26 KiB) Viewed 400 times
joUOpfKQ.jpeg
joUOpfKQ.jpeg (189.97 KiB) Viewed 400 times
This was the first project in the new workshop (hence why it looks so clean to begin with) :lol:

As i took bits off to replace broken parts it became apparent that it needed a lot of tlc!
joUOpfKQ.jpeg
joUOpfKQ.jpeg (189.97 KiB) Viewed 400 times
98T4X5Qg.jpeg
98T4X5Qg.jpeg (224.94 KiB) Viewed 400 times
VpPTyC8w.jpeg
VpPTyC8w.jpeg (136 KiB) Viewed 400 times

To date i (think) i have replaced everything that needs replacing to get it back into working condition. I have got new rear wings and all the panels for the bonnet.

This is how its standing at the moment ready to be moved out of the workshop for another landrover related project to have a bit more work done. Yes the rear rims are wrong and yes one front rim and tire is wrong but this is where i need it so that i can get some work done with it and find out any more niggles. Hitch and link arms are just getting some adjustments and a bit of primer then they can go back on tomorrow.
_N1uBM6g.jpeg
_N1uBM6g.jpeg (181.57 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Parts replaced so far

track rods
king pin bushes and bolts
front hubs rebuilt
core plugs
radiator pipes
break rods
foot plates
rear wings
speedo cable
rear end oil and filter
front end oil and filter
fan belt
rear rims and tyres
drop arms
sorted some wiring
fuel leak
free breaks
free hand break

finally apply for a REG from the DVLA

Im looking forward to updating soon!

H

Henry&Saly

Re: David brown 780 Scraper tractor to Wedding transport

Post by Henry&Saly » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:05 pm

As it stands now.

Rear linkage to put back on and hub covers.

06cxuZPA.jpeg
06cxuZPA.jpeg (212.11 KiB) Viewed 399 times
biBVJV7w.jpeg
biBVJV7w.jpeg (201.77 KiB) Viewed 399 times
FQqqV6eQ.jpeg
FQqqV6eQ.jpeg (229.97 KiB) Viewed 399 times

dwl

Re: David brown 780 Scraper tractor to Wedding transport

Post by dwl » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:06 pm

D0 you feel comfortable with the round wings I only ask because we are just restoring a 990 selectamatic witch has the square type wings and are original [1968] but I personally think that the round ones look better