990 non restoration

This is for members to post photos of their restorations, either completed or "works in progress"

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

lemmiwinks

990 non restoration

Post by lemmiwinks » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:22 am

I say non restoration because I need a tractor not another project, however I just couldn't help myself. I'm going as fast as work, weather and family commitments allow but it's slow going.

Here's what it looked like when I got it:

Now, the photos make my painting look much better than it is (couldn't get it to focus on the nacelle or transmission sump in fact) but it did come up pretty good so far.

Wheel yellow isn't right but best I can do under the circumstanes

Really happy with how the guard came up. I also painted the inside as this is all about preventing rust.

The fuel tap leaked as I found out after losing about 1/4 of a tank all over the ground but I think I've sorted that (ingenious design). Now in the process of removing years of built up grime to paint the engine (in place I'm afraid).

Not shown is the engine sump as it's been reinstalled. Had to scrape a lot of silt out of the bottom and the oil strainer was nearly clogged!

rasher

RE: 990 non restoration

Post by rasher » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:53 am

Wow. looks great. keep the pics coming

bedwards1966

RE: 990 non restoration

Post by bedwards1966 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:17 pm

Cleaning out the sump and suction strainer is a job well done, should be done on all old diesels where oil changes have been neglected.

lemmiwinks

Re: 990 non restoration

Post by lemmiwinks » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:26 pm

So it's been a while... Various trouble with paint curing, changing my mind about the colour, procrastination and various issues you'll always encounter on a job like this. Anyway, it's mostly sort of done. Looks good from a distance :lol:

Bonnet might be beyond my panel beating abilities, we will see. She is a runner once more, although there's oil in the water (glad I held off adding the coolant!) I previously read about an oil gallery in the head gasket but can't find the post on the new forum software. Possibly a head gasket may be all I need, will ask in the appropriate forum.

lemmiwinks

Post by lemmiwinks » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:26 am

Alrighty then. I broke out the welder today and even though the bonnet is a write off, I thought I'd see if I could revive it. Using pictures and my imagination...

Not a good foundation (no foundation in some places!)

Shaped some steel (kink was in it when I got it and it was almost the right angle too)

Some measuring, some guessing

Bracing, hoping

More guessing, more measuing

This last photo makes it look like it's horribly out of square, but it's actually not that bad.

I'm not expecting a DB grille to fit in there, but then I don't have one, so I guess it works out! :mrgreen: Assuming it actually fits back on the tractor, I'll cobble together some kind of a grille down the track.

There's a serious amount of work to do on this bonnet. The front looked like it was used as a battering ram and I think a few large heavy objects fell on the top too. There's going to be a lot of bog (body filler) spread around on this thing. Hopefully it'll look good from a distance!

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:43 pm

Certainly looking better! Keep it up.