880 4WD will try to make restoration

This is for members to post photos of their restorations, either completed or "works in progress"

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

frankausffm

880 4WD will try to make restoration

Post by frankausffm » Sun May 31, 2015 10:20 am

Hi,

I am new to this forum and quite happy to find a DB fan club as I am from Germany where the DB is quite a rare traktor.

So here is mine, an 880 with four wheel drive, build 1972, ID= 880GE560072SF:

Two questions I already have where I hope that someone can help me:

# what was the original color scheme of this DB?
# what was the original cabin of this DB or was there none - how to find out?

Cheers,

Frank

johno

RE: 880 4WD will try to make restoration

Post by johno » Sun May 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Hello Frank the origanal colour for that tractor was orchid white tin work and wheels and a choclate brown chassis with red exhaust and a red seat and red and gold grille. it most likely left the factory without a cab

frankausffm

Post by frankausffm » Sun May 31, 2015 8:17 pm

Thank You John, this gives me already an good idea how it could look like. I guess the lifting mechanism was then brown as well?

frankausffm

Post by frankausffm » Sun May 31, 2015 9:03 pm

One question which hasnt to do with the restauration for the moment. As I had moved my DB today a little, I could see later on that thre is a kind of leakage at the bottom of the left rear wheel-box. It is a kind of opening where the fluid drops out. Is there maybe a screw missing or what is this hole for? I have indicated with an arrow on the picture where the fluid leakage is. Many thanks in advance,

Frank

Post by Guest » Sun May 31, 2015 9:38 pm

Frank, your 880 is quite a rare one being fitted with the Italian Selene front driven axle, there were four models fitted with this axle, 880, 990, 1200 and the early 1210. the cab is I believe by its rounded and outward elevating front window made by the German Company Fritzeimer, not sure if that's the right spelling. The oil leaking from the final drive is coming from the drain hole in the brake drum housing which means that the two inner half shaft seals have failed, to replace them you have to slacken off the brake rod, remove the ring of bolts on the inner side of the final drive, lock down the diff lock pedal, otherwise the mechanism will drop into the axle casing, slide out the whole final drive and remove the central collar that houses the seals, something that we can help you with better when you come to do it. You may also need to renew the brake shoe linings if they are contaminated with the oil or very worn.

frankausffm

Post by frankausffm » Sun May 31, 2015 9:52 pm

Thank you very much PR. Hmm - sounds like a couple of hours of work. Is this seal a kind of 2piece Simmering or what are these half(???)shaft seals look like? Do you think that this seal still does some job of sealing or once it has failed then "all doors are open"? The reason I ask is, that I want to continue to move the DB before I will have the spare parts for to repair this.

Cheers,

Frank

frankausffm

Post by frankausffm » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi friends!

Does one of you know which gasket thickness I should use for the cover of the case of the reduction unit box?
It is the large cover which is mounted with 10 bolts. The old gasket has been totally destroyed when I had removed the cover.

And one more question: inside the reduction unit box is a tabwasher where I need to bend the tabs by 90°. But through the opening I can only bend 2 of them and the gear wheel doesnt move although there is no gear taken in. Do I maybe have to lift up both wheels to be able to move the gear wheel?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

rough990

Post by rough990 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:29 am

You may have removed the incorrect item. Do you intend to repair the fluid leak? If so, you must remove the complete reduction unit. Do not dismantle the unit.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:33 am

Frank. Can you tell us exactly where the leak is, if coming from the hole in the bottom of the final drive, the round part where the brake drum is inside, this means that the oil seals in the end of the axle casing that the half shaft passes through have failed, you have to remove the whole final drive unit as I said in my previous post and as rough990 is saying, you don't need to touch anything in the unit like the tab washer so don't dismantle that part. The gasket for the rear cover is paper. The top middle bolt on the cover should have a cross-drilled hole in the bolt head and it should also have a hollow thread, this is the breather bolt, the holes should be clear and open and not blocked up, when you put the cover back on, make sure this breather bolt goes back in the middle top hole. The date you give the tractor I think is not correct, the 880 was only built to 1971

frankausffm

Post by frankausffm » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi guys - I am back again and finally my restoration project has really started. The final drive oil-leak was a minor issue if I look back from today, just two broken simmerings at the reduction side. I have now decided to restore my 880 and have a couple of questions as this is my first restoration. First a picture:

On te picture I have indicated with numbers some topics I have:
1.I have two openings in the amature - does anyone know what normally sits in there?
2.there is a choke/pull wire for the ignition pump - I doubt that the position is correct - at the right side of this rope is a piece of metal with an empty cutout - maybe thats for the wire or what is that for?
3 and 4 shows some decals which are in German language - any chance to get these as a spare part?
5 can the steering wheel which is available as spare part be reccomented or is it better to keep the original one?

6 as I want to give a new paint: how much preparation is sufficient for the frame: how to get rid of all the grease and do I have to remove the old paint. Is it better to paint with a air pistol or to use a hand-brush? Shall I use a grounding for the epoxy paint or just overpaint whats already there (but free of grease)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Frank