David Brown 996 4WD Project

This is for members to post photos of their restorations, either completed or "works in progress"

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

mr_fish

David Brown 996 4WD Project

Post by mr_fish » Thu May 22, 2014 4:43 pm

Hey everyone.

Just thought I would put up a picture of our latest aquired project. A 996 4WD.

Its a late one one a V Plate (V5 Present), has the David Brown Front Axle and the wide top doors with a

Its in a bit of a sorry state but will give it a going over before putting it to some light duties.

Only the one picture at the moment. You can probably make out its a bit of a relic.

Been on a lightweight hedge-trimmer for the last few years. Until they replaced with a newer outfit.

Believe it or not its been out in the elements for 2 years and it actually started.

Will update soon with a few more pictures.

Cheers for Looking

odin

RE: David Brown 996 4WD Project

Post by odin » Thu May 22, 2014 8:29 pm

A worth while project . :)

austensmith

Post by austensmith » Thu May 22, 2014 8:50 pm

Looks a cracker.
Usual issues with " string vest" cab panels .....??

Just out of interest what size boots are on it ? are they the 30 or 36 inch rims ?
What about the fronts ? I've still got conundrum of replacing rears .

Spec sheet suggests 13.6 /36 with my 9.5 / 24 fronts but I have 16.9 / 30 on excellent wheels - problem is ?? replace the existing tyres on great wheels versus the expense of all new wheels and tyres to get the size correct according to official spec sheet. I believe some even put 11.2 / 24s on front but I dont know what this means in terms of rolling radius and effect on that front driven axle.

If you get tired with it let me know - just what I want to match my digger combo ........ :mrgreen:
Juvat Impigros Deus !!

DB996 4WD Digger Loader - restored
DB996 2WD - now in rehab....

mr_fish

Post by mr_fish » Fri May 23, 2014 4:57 pm

Yea cab is a little tired, missing the side window you see and back lower glass panel. We have both doors but, as always, they need attention at a later stage.

90% sure its running 13.6/36 rears and 11.2/24 on the front. (Will check this). The fronts were absolutely gone. Smooth as track tyres. So replaced them with a couple decent second-hand we had kicking around.

So then we got it into the shed, managed to get the bonnet off (dam exhaust had grown on) and decided to get the fuel pump and injectors overhauled, I have a friend who is fairly keen with them so he agreed to have a look. So pulled the injectors out and the pump off.

In progress

We had noticed the front wheel was ‘kicked out’ at the bottom, on closer inspection the tapered bearing had failed in the bottom. So set to stripping that off. What an absolute nightmare of a job. Anyways, got the whole lot off in the end.

Need a new lower pin, the top and bottom Timken tapered bearings and probably the dust caps.

So that’s where we’re at currently. Once the machine is back on 4 wheels it will be a case of freeing up the brakes, addressing the gear linkages, giving it a service and put it to work to see if (and how) it performs.

Also may have sourced a front loader for it so that maybe on the cards in the future.

Thanks for Looking.

stone1594

Post by stone1594 » Thu May 29, 2014 10:59 pm

good project mr fish :D I hav one in need of the fall works one day especially the front axle!! Im sure you will keep us up to date with the works.

cheers tony
cropmaster diesel
880 implematic 3cyl
990 implematic x2
880 selectamatic loader
990 selectamatic
995 2wd LP cab
996 4wd
1390 4wd
1390 4wd mudder
1394 4wd commerative
1494 4wd
1690 turbo
1694 4wd maggie
com edition 1594

mr_fish

Post by mr_fish » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:55 pm

Well, managed to the inner races out, tight fit they were!

Cleaning it up now and sourced a couple bearings locally, just need the fresh lower pin.

Couple Pictures

mr_fish

Post by mr_fish » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:50 am

Taa Daa

All back together. Cleaned the shims up, fitted with the new bearings and greased the lot up. Now have next to no play. Quite pleased with the result.

I also refitted the injectors with new seals, a fresh set of diesel filters and fitted the injector lines. I have bled the system up now just need to get my hands on a decent battery to get the fuel up to the injectors.

Need to fit the fresh bottom hose onto the radiator and start on the brakes.

mr_fish

Post by mr_fish » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:41 pm

Long time with no update.

The tractor is out and running

Can tell how long ago that was with the fields cut for hay.

Since, we have drained the oil and dropped the sump, cleaned that right out and fitted a fresh oil filter.

Picked up a loader for it, cleaned all the bolts up and refreshed the threads in the chassis. Just need to pressure wash off the brackets and lift them into place.

Had a go at the brakes situation, turns out the cables were seized, one had frayed and the other we free'd up. got a replacement sorted from Mr Greet now just needs fitting back together.

Also free'd off the PTO hand clutch.

Still need a side window, will probably address the tin worm next year and just get everything back together first.

Will get some more photos soon.

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:29 pm

I think there is a rotten side panel with a glass still in it on eBay for very little money.

mr_fish

Post by mr_fish » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:44 pm

So finally put the handbrake cables on, nice to have a working one of those.

Had a bit of fertiliser to spread so hooked up the spinner on the 3 point and it did that fine.

Couple friends asked if we would pop up and spread there manure so thought we would take the DB.

PTO clutch worked the Howard spreader absolutely perfect. It did the tractor some good to have a bit harder work. At the end of the day we're just playing around.

Anyways this post is useless with pictures.

Ignition switch seems to of died now. So need to address that. And still need to see abou fitting the loader.

db1690t

Post by db1690t » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:36 pm

were did you get the new pins? and did u get new dust caps?

mr_fish

Post by mr_fish » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:23 pm

db1690t wrote:were did you get the new pins? and did u get new dust caps?
Ron Greets had one tucked away on a shelf of spares. Luckily only needed the one. Cleaned the other up. Made dust caps out of tin plate. will be good enough for what we'll do with it.

Speaking of which, we stuck it on a neighbours Howard 150 Rota-spreader. managed it pretty well seeing as the tractor has been stood up for a couple years. (YouTube Video in Link below)

David Brown 996 on Dung Spreading