Fixing 2-3 990 Implematics

This is for members to post photos of their restorations, either completed or "works in progress"

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

jaspajami

Fixing 2-3 990 Implematics

Post by jaspajami » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:53 am

We have small farm at south Pirkanmaa at Finland. I did sell out Case IH Maxxum 5130 away year ago. It was just way too big and expensive for our need. At the moment we only have Gehl 4625 skidsteer loader.

First plan was to get Fordson super major from father-in-law. It has a broken injection pump. Well that deal didn't happen (maybe i still fix it and loan that one sometimes. We have 5 hectares of field in location where that tractor is).

So i had to start looking for cheap tractors, and let say i don't understand anything of them. Super Majors were quite expensive. 135 Massey Ferguson is really wanted ones and also expensive. Valmet as a finish one is also popular, but also quite expensive.

It seems that we have quite much of David Browns in Finland, quite easy to get parts and they are cheap. Reputation is not very good, most of the people said that choose something else. But also most of them only said that hydraulic is complicate (and if im not wrong its just more modern one that most of the tractors that time) and the movement of rear lifters is short (don't know correct terms in English).

Well, i found few quite ok ones for small money and i ended to buy 3 990 Implematic's. Plan is to at least fix 2 or all 3 of them. Don't know yet about restoration, maybe.

I'm going to pick them up tomorrow and day after tomorrow, pictures then.

1. Quite good conditions and it moves. Older version (battery's next to seat). Some point engine has been frozen and cracked, but its welded ok. Rear lifters are not working at the moment.

2. Sold as spare parts. Newer model, battery in front. Not so beautiful, been outside for quite many years. Missing at least injector pump, fan, water pump, cooler.

3. Looks ok from pictures (i haven't seen this one, i just bought it with info i did get). Engine frozen and cracked. They tried to fix it but its still leaking. Other than that, it should work.

bedwards1966

RE: Fixing 2-3 990 Implematics

Post by bedwards1966 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:57 pm

Don't be disheartened at any point by people saying bad things about them. It is true that the hydraulics can give problems and aren't always easy to fix but you're correct that they were advanced for their time. And the problems tend to be caused by a lack of maintenance - if people kept the oil clean, filtered and free from water there would be far less problems.

Sounds like you've got some work on your hands but it should be fun.

jaspajami

Post by jaspajami » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:11 am

Seems to be that there is a lot of passion in these things :) You start loving one manufacturer and hate rest of them :D

Well, i know also two David Brown fans from our town who have over 10 DB:s. Another one is a friend and as a work is fixing Volvos hydraulics and promised to help me with these hydraulics. I know electricity, but have to say that hydraulics at the moment is totally grey area for me.

jaspajami

Post by jaspajami » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:14 pm

1. Image

2. Image

3. Image

byronFriek

Fixing 2 3 990 Implematics

Post by byronFriek » Fri May 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Holy crap I think you got my 95Z beat...and I put that one down. haha