Ploughing match at Burn, Nr. Selby.

This forum is an area where any registered member can post their photos of any previous event. Any photo that is unsuitable for viewing will be deleted and the user will be at risk of being deleted.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Scooby

Ploughing match at Burn, Nr. Selby.

Post by Scooby » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:08 pm

Joe Procter has sent these photos. taken at a ploughing match at Burn, Nr. Selby. I should add, for the benefit of all our overseas freinds, that the soil is not typical of the U.K. It's what is known as boy's land.
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

mburns

Burn Ploughing match

Post by mburns » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:44 pm

Great pics Joe

There are some realy nice tractors there and at last a 900

ploughing also :D , do we know who the tractors belong to ?

The pics of the 900 are like somthing out of a question of

sports guess the sports person . :lol:

Thanks Martin

joeproctor

ploughing at burn

Post by joeproctor » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:20 pm

here are the list of d plougmen,
1. howard dykes 900
7kny david auckland,ex dbt test man
2.david auckland
3.howard dykes 900 and db match plough
4.howard dykes
5.howard dykes and snap bag!
6.61 cwt david croft with the most modified plough and immaculate 990
7.61 cwt finishing the open!
8.fergie and ramsome plough
there was a lot more pictures taken of db's .yes with headless drivers(i wanted some pictures of ploughs).also a grey fergie p/p pulling a 5 thats five furrow general purpose at 8" deep wth ease (no diff lock).
a very good day for the event.
regards
joe

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:26 pm

Probably a Daft question but for the non farmers amongst us,

What is `Boys Land` - surely soils just brown stuff that you grow things in (that should have well and truly lit the touch paper!!!).

Seriously though.

Cheers

Andy

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:53 pm

Andy, there are many different types of soil varying from county to county or sometimes varying from field to field on some farms. They can range from wet, heavy clays to hard flinty rocky soils to wet carr land full of bog oak. Each different soil can pose its own problems for the tractor driver and implement when working. "Boys land" or "Lads land" as we called it was usually nice loamy crumbly soil which just fell into a seedbed with the minimum of effort so the term was used as a bit of a put down to those who had it easy.
Steve.

mitch

Post by mitch » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Thanks for pictures Joe. Whats with all the spanners? Those ploughs look complex.
non-Q 1975 1210 2wd
model# 1210/1 728931
engine# AD4/55A 26193

1975 1412 2wd
model# 1412/1 1050623
engine# 455011 120673

mburns

Boys land

Post by mburns » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:33 pm

Broadsword

I wish i had run for my camera today so you could see what farming pure clay (clum grassland ) in devon is like .

I went to get my roller where it had been for 12 months , stuck in a neighbours field , i got my new 1394 4 ft in to the field and lost both front wheels :shock: gone front end right down to the axel and ************ in the air :roll: .

Phoned the local contractor , 10 mins and 150 hp later and i was out :D , he then proceded to drive straight past me through where i had been stuck , hitched up my roller to his straw chopper with a chain and drove out of the field .

I :oops: duly said thanks and sculked of home c/w roller vowing never to go near said field again and two kids laughing their little heads off :roll:
Not boys land

Then rolled my fields which were a bit too hard realy only 200 yrds away from where i was stuck.

Martin

jearl

RE: Boys land

Post by jearl » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:23 am

Thanks for the great pics .... thoroughly enjoyed them and I'm with Martin ... great to see a 900 at last ... perhaps ADMIN could use some of the photos in both the DB tractor range and DB plough section of this site

Julian

joeproctor

burn ploughing

Post by joeproctor » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:38 am

hello mitch,
the lads take this ploughing at match level very serious,when you watch it is slow and perfect,not practical to do this when the farmer giles is breathing down your neck wanting to get the seed in!
the ploughs are heavily modified and the spanners are to make slight adjustments,so every thing is kept to hand and all modifications are to make the job easier.
wonder how the 6 furrow db plough went on in flintshire?
regards
joe