This years Somerset Rally season spent wood sawing

This forum is an area where any registered member can post their photos of any previous event. Any photo that is unsuitable for viewing will be deleted and the user will be at risk of being deleted.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Merlin

This years Somerset Rally season spent wood sawing

Post by Merlin » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:27 pm

This years rally season was spent with a group of us going from steam rally to steam rally running a wood sawing display. Possibly the best fun I've had doing rallies. In total I think we done 6, the set-up was an Allchin traction engine coupled to a Stenner and Gunn rack saw bench and a David Brown 30D with a smaller Stenner and Gunn saw bench, here are some pictures:

The year started with the restoration of this Stenner and Gunn bench, everything was seized solid with rust, plenty of heat and gentle tapping got it all moving and here is now is shining with a layer of oil and a new planking blade.

The Brown set-up ready for action, the plan was that the little brown could be used to make smaller timbers from the leftovers of the big rack saw bench.

The main saw bench is a big beast and makes the Allchin work hard when cutting.

Engine mans view

We made plenty of smaller timbers during a weekend

Same thing yet another rally

We roaded from rally to rally as much as possible

A foggy start to one rally

Nothing beats the end of a hard days sawing than a group trip to the pub

We also done hay making 1979 style this year, in the foreground a DB1212 with Jones Mk12 bailer, A series 3 Landy for bail collecting. To the right is a Burhur with the rake, and in the background is a Ford 4000 with the haybob busy turning. In the hot sun we had this year it dried very quickly and produced some lovely bails.

Two of us also help at Glastonbury Festival with the recovery tractors. This year we had a collection of very new Claas tractors, so here were are posing in front of the main stage, I am sat on the weights of the third tractor in from the right.
I was impressed just how nice to drive and operate these Claas are.

Hope you have all enjoyed this.