More pictures of my 990

This is for Members to post their photos. Ideally DB but also Member's photos of working with tractors etc. Inappropriate photos will be deleted and the Member posting them may be banned from this Forum.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

mark.sibole

More pictures of my 990

Post by mark.sibole » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:26 pm

Got oil changed today.
I seriously need to get the front bucket spool valve fixed.
You can see how it sags or dumps in the pictures.

John_Allen

RE: More pictures of my 990

Post by John_Allen » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:49 pm

This must have been one of the last "brown" DBs before the colour changed to Power Red - though made after Case bought David Brown. The ones just before had a different decal on the bonnet with a "bottle opener" logo.

It looks like a sound old beast though - it's in far better condition than my 995 (and many other UK machines of the era). I suspect you'll need a large block on the back end with that loader bucket!

mark.sibole

Post by mark.sibole » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:20 pm

Thanks John,
I see topic was moved i wasnt sure where to place it.
Ill check the placement for the next image posts.
It seems to run very good and tons of power.Just the power steering pump needs a new gasket so it will stop leaking and i need to figure out how to rebuild a spool valve.
This as all new to me so I apologize if i ask dumb questions.I learned better to ask a dumb question than make a very dumb mistake.
Im sure this is a 1974 from serial number.I have the RTV kibots for small jobs hauling fire wood but with MS I need something with muscle to lift and drag logs as well ad grading the driveway after the heavy down pours.
It was stored in a pole barn all its life so I think thats why it still looks nice.Im still trying to figure out the 3ph and all the settings.It has on the left side a valve selector lever for i guess diverting fluid to different thinghs.It had at one time a snopw blower on the front and was used mainly on a christmas tree farm with some kind of hydrolyc fork on the front and on the rear was set up with a scoop device for basically digging small trees up.Cant remember what they call them.Every trip out im playing with levers trying to figurre it all out.With help and guidance here i should know most of it soon with questions asked.You all have been great and very helpful to me and i really appreciate it.
Without you all I dont know where I would be.
Still have a few electrical switches i need to figure out what they run.1 is for lights the other I have no idea till i pull the cover off and see where the wires run.Its a 2 man job to remove it so i have to wait for help on that.

Regards

Mark

case-ih1594

Post by case-ih1594 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:40 am

Hi, just before you consider repairing the spool, I would check (if you haven't already) that it is the spool and not the loader crowd/bucket ram seals that are leaking. A loader ram seal would cause the bucket to drop as oil passes from one side to the other (and wouldn't necessarily show any signs of oil on the floor).

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:24 am

The Christmas tree device would be called an undercutter here.

I too would go for the idea of a leaking internal ram seal could be either of them.
I would be careful what weight I used on that bucket , it is awfully big on that size tractor and could lead to failure of the front axle. Those sort of buckets are normally only used for shifting corn or other light material.
Other wise that is a nice looking tractor

mark.sibole

Post by mark.sibole » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:55 pm

Thanks Case and steve.
The rams were rebuild last year i was told and 1 of the spools he just didnt get the time or got lazy on the other spool.So im sure its the spool but one never knows.
On the bucket yes it had extensions welded to it .
I believe it was so the trees didnt fall out of them when he was moving them down to the road for the replantable ones.Also i believe a lot of mulch was moved with it.
I know the problems of overloading the front ends.Thats what got the front spindle as his kid tried to move a large bouilder across rough terrain. Most of the moving here will be sugar sand after storms but main use is for removing snow piles when i run out of room to push snow.We can average 36 and above inches on the ground here most winters ans snow piles up fast in the tight places around the house area if we have no winter melt off periods.
Either way safty first for my sake and the sake of equiptment.

Mark

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:17 pm

I suggest you buy an "Instruction Book" (owner's handbook); this will explain the hydraulic controls (and other controls!) and give lube info etc. The club shop used to sell them, but I can't find it there at the moment. This place sells them, though I don't know if they will post over the puddle!:

http://www.classictractors.co.uk/shop/a ... &PT_ID=157

mark.sibole

Post by mark.sibole » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:38 pm

Thanks John.
Ive already gathered most of the information over the web in pits and pieces and some from a friend who owned a 990 a while back.I just got in from the shed and did find a few things i have to check out.I just plugged the extension cord in to see if the heater on the lower hose works.Ill know that in the morning.Im still unsure what the extra switch goes to but tracking down wires it looks like from dynamo to the switch to gauges so im thinking maybe gauge lights. I have no working gauges or kights on them so may be a bad switch.Ill check all of that.I did do some looking around and in the intake manifold there is a thermostart on it.Looks like fuel line is hooked up nut no power wire so theres another thing i need to do is run a 12 volt wire to it and see if it heats up.I should be able to get a temp reading good enough with an IR thermometer.
If it wernt for you guys i would have never even thought to look for the plug on the intake and noticed the thermostart on it.
Hopefully it works and just needs wireing.

Mark

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:09 am

Hi Mark,

nice looking tractor and also in remarkable condition (original) for its age - I suspect you do not have a) the same levels of cow muck b) do not use as much salt on the roads as we use across here !!

The bottle opener logo tractors were only about for a short time and were one of the better looking ones about, not that I am in any way bias or judgemental in these issues.

ps - piccie of mine before and after :roll:

Cheers

Andy
Attachments
P8150084.JPG
P8150084.JPG (60.71 KiB) Viewed 11265 times

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:10 am

After........
Attachments
P6230022.jpg
P6230022.jpg (87.13 KiB) Viewed 11264 times

mark.sibole

Post by mark.sibole » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:31 am

Ah yours is all prettied up now great job.Not much cow doo doo here or where it came from.Salt um here mixed with more sand than anything.But this tractor was used on a christmas tree farm about a mile from me and i dont think it ever seen the road and was stored in a barm all the time when not in use.Im the 2nd owner and the original owner is so old he cant remember much about the machine as what was done by his help other than his help broke the front spindle.It would be nice to tear it all down like yours and give it a nice new coat of paint bt i mainly bought it for work work and work.At 51 and having Multiple Sclerosis i needed something to help me with fire wood so this was a deal IMO for around here.Anything with a front loader goes 5000 usd. I only paid 3500 so im not in to bad of shape so far.Thanks for sharing your images.You did a great job on her!!!!
what yoear is yours???

mark.sibole

Post by mark.sibole » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:34 am

well evidently it wasnt the spool.I replaced the spool today and the front bucket still droops.Evidently the rams wernt rebuilt like i was told.
I know the loader section has case on it and need to see if there are any serial =numbers on the cylinders and see if there is a repacking kit for them.I m not even sure of the cost of new ones or to have them rebuilt professionally.(Not a happy camper right now)

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi Mark,

my tractor was first registered Jan 1973 in the UK, I think she was built Dec 1972.

Cheers

Andy

mark.sibole

Post by mark.sibole » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:52 pm

Ah Thanks.
Didnt know you all registered them over the pond.
Have a great day.

tomwill

Post by tomwill » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:22 am

Hello Mark nice tractor you have there the first of 990 syhcromesh trans I remember when they came out in 1972 without any dought one of the best tractors made. TomWill DBTCA