Changeover to new software.

Used as a repository for threads/announcements no longer needed for general view but retained for record purposes.

Moderator: Segrie61

admin
Site Admin

Changeover to new software.

Post by admin » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:51 pm

We are about to change over to different software for running this site.

The changes won't be that dramatic, the idea is that it will enable the Administrators to do things a little bit better and quicker. The changeover will happen when the site isn't too busy. If at sometime in the near future you can't get on this will be the reason.

We may have some glitches, please bear with us, and if you see something that isn't quite as it should be then let us know please.

Thank you for your patience.

Scooby.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:34 pm

Most of you will have noticed that the location details in the author column in the Forums are missing.

We are now using new data files and the data from the original files (which includes the location field) was transferred across into the new files.

Unfortunately some of the data has not copied across correctly and we are currently attempting to find out why.

Thank you to all who have emailed and PM'd us to tell us.

ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

dbdave

Post by dbdave » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:48 pm

hello
when i log in it makes me do it twice for some reasion or is it sposed to be like that.
cheers
Dave

bam

Post by bam » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:55 pm

Same here, double login required..

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:55 pm

Try using the login below the recent posts in the left hand column.

I used this and then did a quick reply - only to get booted to the post reply page!

jearl

Post by jearl » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:55 am

Though John's idea worked at first and I got in OK but then when I hit submit it sent me to the log in page and I lost the lot ... :(

Is it my imagination that Login now times out much quicker than it used to - almost so quick it times out before I finish - maybe its just me being a lot slower than I used to be :? I will now type my message in WORD and then cut and paste

Sure miss the LOCATIONS but reckon Scooby and his IT gurus will still be beavering away on that one

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:58 pm

Hello folks, and thank you for your perseverance and patience.

The truth is that we are not yet where we want to be with this new software. We have a professional developer working with us but the DB site is quite small in the general scheme of things and we have to wait our turn.

But I am getting frustrated, especially since we have access to a test site that seems to be working perfectly O.K.

We are helping and advising as much as we are able but ultimately we are in someone elses hands.

As far as the timing-out issue is concerned it may well be configurable by Admin and Alchad is looking into it. In the meantime I would advise that I personally always log-in using the box on the left between the Last Forum Posts and Farming News and I don't have any problems.
ImageImage

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:44 pm

Update on the timing-out issue.

Our developer has altered the user session settings today and from now on once users have logged on they should stay logged on until either they log-off or they delete their browser cookies.

I would appreciate users letting me know if they find that they still have this problem.

But bear in mind that if you are using utility programs like Window Washer or CCleaner that they can be set to automatically delete your browser history and cookies at very frequent intervals. If you haven't altered anything major recently then all should be O.K.

I have reason to believe that our location data will be back soon as well. :D :D :D :D :D
ImageImage

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:29 pm

Scooby wrote:I have reason to believe that our location data will be back soon as well. :D :D :D :D :D
Job done. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And it is no longer possible to register on this site unless location details have been supplied. This is not an invasion of privacy, it's been implemented so that when Members ask questions that we stand a chance of answering them accurately. i.e. export or home market specification, nearest spares or practical help, etc. It is also interesting if you're writing about things like weather etc.

Remember, we suggest at least County if within the U.K. or Country if outside the U.K

One thing that isn't working yet is the Member's web site icon when they make a post or send a PM. To do this go into your account and re-enter your information. If that doesn't work let me know please. If anyone spots anything else that isn't quite right then please let us in Admin know about it. Thank you.
ImageImage