TRAGIC NEWS.

Used as a repository for threads/announcements no longer needed for general view but retained for record purposes.

Moderator: Segrie61

admin
Site Admin

TRAGIC NEWS.

Post by admin » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:36 pm

It is with deep regret that I have to inform all members and visitors to this Forum of the passing of our previous Moderator and friend, Chris. Durrant.

As some of you will know, Chris. had been very ill for some time and he sadly passed away on the 18th of September.

Some of you will also be aware that I sent a letter to Chris some time ago on behalf of the Club and this Forum expressing our thanks and appreciation for the work that he had been able to do for the Forum, and Christina has made contact with me to thank me for that.

I asked if the Club could send a floral tribute to his funeral but Chris. had previously decided that he wanted no fuss, in fact Christina told me how he was a man who hated fuss of any kind.

And so we come to the end of one of the chapters of this web site and Forum. I personally never met the man and indeed never spoke to him, but I know from our many PMs and emails that he was the sort of chap that I certainly would have got on with. He had humour, and a vast experience of life. He had been both a serving Police Officer and a fisherman in the North Sea and I am sure that this would have had a bearing on why he was such a level headed individual.

May he rest in peace.

David Lewis.

lou

RE: TRAGIC NEWS.

Post by lou » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:27 pm

rest in peace.
1971 DB 995

Alchad

Post by Alchad » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:53 pm

David,

Yes, very sad news. Like you I never met Chris or spoke to him but did exchange the occasional PM, and I couldn't agree more that he seemed someone who it would have been very easy to share a beer or two with.

I just had a look at his posting record - nearly 800 posts since he joined in Feb 2007. I suspect that participating in this website and helping in the way he did might have been some diversion from his illness, and if it was then I'm glad it did.

Alchad

jearl

Post by jearl » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:00 pm

Sad news indeed.

Farewell Chris, and thank you for your valuable contribution to the DBTC

Also thank you to David for being in touch with Chris's family on behalf of all DBTC members

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:10 pm

RIP Chris, like many others, I have appreciated your efforts, contributions and humour.

Thanks for letting us know David - not an easy task but much appreciated.

joeproctor

TRAGIC NEWS

Post by joeproctor » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:15 pm

chris resigned from being a moderator because of his health,he told me of his cancer way back when this new website was first up and running,he didn't want any fuss or to talk about his illness so i never did get to know what was wrong or any cause, if any.
he was always very helpful and tried for several hours to get me posting pictures on this website,but never did succeed in doing so, he was patient and never go fed up or angry,
i posted chris a couple of front wheel studs for his 1490 ,he pestered me so much to tell him how much these bolts were,months later he asked me for another two,i said '************ hell chris what are you doing with these bolts' he said 'he didn't want to buy a tap so he cut grooves in them to clean the old threads up now these were to screw in and hold the wheels on,tight or what !!!!!!(could have had origionated from yorkshire)
when i sent chris a topper i had run out of warning labels/stickers ,both chris and christina (chris's landlady) were on my case when will the topper be here?? ,so i eventually got the stickers and away the topper went,chris then rang me asking' how can we remove the stickers we dont like machines with stickers on,i cant get my breath!!
well i kept my fingers crossed,a few days passed and i thought and hoped that the new topper was ok,so i rang chris ,who said the machine is perfect and better than expected ,what a sigh of relief i can tell you,
i discussed with david (scooby) about a thankyou letter to chris for assisting the moderators and putting in so much effort, i now think it may have been too late, but then it is never too late,
farewell chris rest in peace,
joe proctor

Mosley

RE: TRAGIC NEWS

Post by Mosley » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:04 pm

i personally didnt no Chris but he helped me out on quite a few occasions with sourcing parts. RIP Chris.
cheers
Josh
David brown 1490 1982 2WD
Case 1394 commemorative edition 4WD

6-POT-PHIL
Location: Huddersfield, W Yorks. (Home of David Brown Tractors)

Re: RE: TRAGIC NEWS

Post by 6-POT-PHIL » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:39 am

Mosley wrote:i personally didnt no Chris but he helped me out on quite a few occasions with sourcing parts. RIP Chris.
cheers
Josh
Same here Josh, he's helped me too.

RIP Chris :(
1961 850 Implematic Ex DB test tractor (now sold)
1960 950 Implematic
1970 990 12 speed Selectamatic
1976 996 Loader tractor
1987 'E' 1594 4WD Hydra-Shift
1985 'C' 1694 4WD Hydra-Shift
ImageImage

Six in line sounds mighty fine!!

Bornfree

Post by Bornfree » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:08 pm

Rest in peace Chris. (The Old Sea Dog :wink: )

So very sorry to read this sad news. :cry:

Chris was a lovely man. Easy to talk to, knowledgable, always helpful, and had a wicked sense of humour.

His enthusiatic and prolific input on this site, and lively discussions will surely be missed.

I would have loved to have met him. We both had 1490s and through our DBs shared and solved many problems together.

My thoughts are with his family.

Millie.
DB 1490 Hydra 1980