Match Plough???

This section has been requested by various Members who have interesting things to say about DB items on eBay, i.e. giving advice to new DB Members about the suitability of eBay items. It is NOT for selling items that are on eBay, Members can do that in the For Sale section. Neither is it to be used for derogatory comments about eBay items or eBay Sellers. The section will be strictly controlled and any posts deemed unsuitable by the Administrators will be removed.

Any comments or advice are purely the opinion of the Poster and not in any way an offical endorsement by the David Brown Tractor Club, it's Officers or Committee.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Match Plough???

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Here's another ill informed seller that has no clue.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123

richbug

RE: Match Plough???

Post by richbug » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:05 pm

So for the ignorant among us(myself included), what is it?
Users: 780, 1210 Bottle Opener, 1494 4wd open station with 74L, 990, 1394, 1194 High Clearance, another 1394, 1194 LCG, 1290 with 56L, 900, 885 with LS8, 885, 1190

1200, 900 projects, 780,

Parts: 3800, 1200, 1394, 1412, 1490, 770, 885, 990SEL, Red 990I,

Eric_T

Post by Eric_T » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:22 pm

Standard BE Type Plough with theose Urgranian (?) bodies, simmilat to Ransomes EPIC bodies.

Not a B Type match plough.

I have a Two furrow C Type Plough for sale if anyone is interested, send me a PM if you are!

Emyr

:)

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:13 pm

It's a 2 furrow BE semi-digger. The seller has been told the differences.

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:14 pm

yes but its a match plough now cos its been in a match!!!!

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Strictly speaking David Brown never made a match plough, they were referred to as 'competition' ploughs. I appreciate to some this might seem to be 'nit-picking' but in the competition ploughing world those that are serious about it and the fraternity frown upon those that turn up to these events and enter with miss-matched equipment and ploughs they have just dragged out of the hedge, couple it up to their tractor and think that they can just drop it in the ground and plough as good as the next man or woman, there is an awful lot more to it and is a proper art if you study it properly. I have been to some of these events where things have almost come to blows between 'ploughmen' on occasions. A couple of years ago I attended an event in which when I was doing my first run and 'opening up' when another chap on his T20 and 2-furrow rusty plough with one bent leg and worn out coulter decided that he would start from a different position and ploughed right across my work, I didn't say anything to him but the look I gave him was enough. It was the spectators that informed him of the error of his way and he gave up.

Eric_T

Post by Eric_T » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:26 am

Powerrabbit wrote:Strictly speaking David Brown never made a match plough, they were referred to as 'competition' ploughs.
They are referrd to as 'Match' Ploughs on the leflet that appears in the top right hand corner of this website... :)

Eric_T

Post by Eric_T » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:52 am

joeproctor wrote:yes but its a match plough now cos its been in a match!!!!
So, if your dog wanders through a stable, it is a horse?! :D:D:D

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:48 pm

Eric_T wrote:
joeproctor wrote:yes but its a match plough now cos its been in a match!!!!
So, if your dog wanders through a stable, it is a horse?! :D:D:D
yes ,if you eat french fries you will become french!!!!!!!!

tallen

Post by tallen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:20 pm

What is the ploughing contest i am from louisville kentucky and we don't have anything like this,But maybe we should it sounds like a lot of fun.WHAT ARE THE RULES

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:48 pm

Ploughing competitions here in the UK have been around for many decades and there is also an annual 'National ploughing championship' which is feircely contested.

A ploughing competition consists of a group of compettitors with their tractors and ploughs entering their combination in various catagories of age and competence. Horse drawn,trailed and mounted. Vintage, classic and modern are the main 3 age catagories, vintage being tractor and plough combinations dating from 1945 to 1959. Classic from 1960 to 1978 and modern from 1979 to date.

The rules vary but the 'National Society of Ploughmen' rules state that any tractor/plough combination can be used providing that the plough is contempory with the age of the tractor in their respective catagory and that the plough should be a production model used with only parts and accessories that were made for the plough and supplied by the manufacturer.

The area of land to be ploughed is devided into 'plots' of at least 1/2 an acre and are marked out and numbered from one to however many are entered in the catagory and each competitor ploughs to the next higher number, 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and so on. Normaly there are two types of land to be ploughed, ley, (pastue) and also stubble. Compettitors are judged on their plough 'entry', and 'exit', straightness, eveness and depth of furrow and 'finish, which is how well you finish your plot against the next plot.

There is a lot more to it than this as ploughing is quite an art form and is the most important part of the land's cultivation process and eventual crop production figure.

Take a look at this link and do a Google for ploughing competition and read on.

http://www.ploughmen.co.uk/

jimc1390

Post by jimc1390 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:01 pm

the land wheel has been converted for match ploughing, i suppose in his mind its his match plough,my ts59 isnt a match plough but that is how i refer to it
db 990 selectamatic
case ih 1594 com ed
db 1390 gd90 loader

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:42 pm

The land wheel is the later steel C type where on this plough it would have originally had the pressed steel with iron band.

You can of course competition plough with any standard plough but to make a decent job and have a chance to be in the placings you have to have a plough that is matched to the tractor, set up in a proper manner and be competent in ploughing in the first place to be in with a chance. The combination of plough and tractor will only be as good as the person using it having had a little experience and possesing a relatively basic knowledge of the operation of the 'unit' and understanding the operation of the tractors hydraulics and plough ajustments. A virtual novice can be instructed and taught to a decent level of competence within just an hour or so of ploughing, veryoften a complete novice will learn a lot quicker than someone that has ploughed before and think they know what to do, the finer detail takes a little longer. I myself believe that anyone should be able to plough to competition level with a standard plough without aids such as furrow slides, quick entry top links and weights and other add-ons that were not part of the ploughs manufacture, indeed some competitions only allow standard fitments and if you turn up with a load of extras to go on your plough the organisers will tell you to go home or at least won't let you compete. David Brown produced a good teaching aid book called 'The David Brown Plough Book' which was published back in the early Cropmaster days.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:42 pm

You all need to think outside the box. :roll: :roll: :roll:

What he means is that in his mind his plough is a match for any plough. Now if it had been a reversible DB plough he would have been correct. 8) 8) 8)
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:46 pm

I suppose David that any modified plough is reversible, in the sense that you can put it back to how it came out of the factory. :wink: