Something wrong with this Comm.

This section has been requested by various Members who have interesting things to say about DB items on eBay, i.e. giving advice to new DB Members about the suitability of eBay items. It is NOT for selling items that are on eBay, Members can do that in the For Sale section. Neither is it to be used for derogatory comments about eBay items or eBay Sellers. The section will be strictly controlled and any posts deemed unsuitable by the Administrators will be removed.

Any comments or advice are purely the opinion of the Poster and not in any way an offical endorsement by the David Brown Tractor Club, it's Officers or Committee.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

holstein

Something wrong with this Comm.

Post by holstein » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:12 am

Was this one of them tractors what was Commed up because the dealers had got lots when production was coming to and end or had ended ? Them decals was never put on at Meltham I don't think. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141682033375? ... EBIDX%3AIT

case-ih1594

RE: Something wrong with this Comm.

Post by case-ih1594 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:11 am

Hi, the decals seems 'ok' to me - the mudguard ones may have been put on the wrong way around (probably replaced), and the round bonnet panel decals have faded, but it is E-reg. The date of registration / serial numbers would have to be checked to be sure.

Scooby

Re: RE: Something wrong with this Comm.

Post by Scooby » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:27 am

case-ih1594 wrote:Hi, the decals seems 'ok' to me - the mudguard ones may have been put on the wrong way around (probably replaced), and the round bonnet panel decals have faded, but it is E-reg. The date of registration / serial numbers would have to be checked to be sure.
But I have always thought that this was the conundrum insofar as dealers could "Comm up" whatever was in their yards and was unsold. If this is what happened there will not be a definite range of serial nos. for Comms. There is nothing in the trackside day books that tells us when they were applied.
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

case-ih1594

RE: Re: RE: Something wrong with this Comm.

Post by case-ih1594 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:49 am

Hi, the way I understand it is that the sales material states that CE tractors were available from December 1987, so it is safe to say the only genuine tractors would be 1394 and 1594 tractors (as the others had supposedly been discontinued by then), and therefore any tractor that was registered before December 1987 cannot be a genuine CE.

In some ways it would seem unfair to buy a tractor, say a 1594, that had been on a dealer forecourt for 6 months, making the purchase after December 1987, and feeling that you had 'missed out' on the CE decals. I bet in such cases the dealer could provide a local overnight upgrade to CE, but I'm not sure if you would have been entered into the Aston Martin draw.

The fact that the CE 'offer' also shows that any 'D' registered tractor cannot be a CE tractor - as the 'offer' had not started by then (i.e. the tractor was sold / registered before then). You cannot have 1936-1988 decal on a 1987 tractor.

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:31 pm

I would agree with Scooby insofar as the serial number of the tractor would be more definitive than the registration letter, as we all know, the registration letter only tells you when the tractor was registered for road use and this could have been done well beyond the year of manufacture. This particular tractor looks genuine, you can't fake wear. Why not message the seller and ask for the serial number?

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:50 pm

Do the comm decals not look a bit low on the bonnet?

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:40 pm

1st registered 29th April 1988 - so sat around for 6 months before registering or had the `special` :roll: decals added at Meltham.

Cheers

Andy

Scooby

Re: RE: Re: RE: Something wrong with this Comm.

Post by Scooby » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:00 pm

JamesF wrote:Do the comm decals not look a bit low on the bonnet?
I thought that James. This is how they looked when put on at Meltham. The tractor was sold by Burgess and their decal is on the top rail. The face has been blurred to protect the innocent. :lol: Or maybe the tractor on eBay was decalled up by a Meltham Midget.
Attachments
Comm.jpg
Comm.jpg (156.84 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
ImageImage

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:03 pm

broadsword wrote:1st registered 29th April 1988 - so sat around for 6 months before registering or had the `special` :roll: decals added at Meltham.
Cheers
Andy
Oooooh. Not www.envious.com by any chance are we ? :lol:
ImageImage

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:49 pm

ENVIOUS !! - I might be but never letting go on here after all my 6 POT bashing in the past :wink: .

You have the records David - when did she come off the line - chassis no 11528596 according to HPI.

Cheers

Andy

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:27 pm

It was the last tractor to go down the line on 3rd February. 1988. The tally card No. was 24482. Engine No. should be 11470136. Gearbox No. should be 4403. Transfer box No. should be 5516.

The lady who was serving up the cottage pie in the No. 2 canteen had a plaster on her right index finger and the dog that was owned by the Director of Procurement sadly died after being run over by a CWS lorry on the Netherthong road. The driver did not stop and the Police are still searching for witnesses.
ImageImage

byronFriek

Something wrong with this Comm

Post by byronFriek » Sun May 12, 2019 3:33 am

LOL Clueless the screwdriver had me rolling. This is why I have really slowed my roll with ebay buying. Sorry you had to endure this.