880 selectamatic - points to look out for when buying

This section has been requested by various Members who have interesting things to say about DB items on eBay, i.e. giving advice to new DB Members about the suitability of eBay items. It is NOT for selling items that are on eBay, Members can do that in the For Sale section. Neither is it to be used for derogatory comments about eBay items or eBay Sellers. The section will be strictly controlled and any posts deemed unsuitable by the Administrators will be removed.

Any comments or advice are purely the opinion of the Poster and not in any way an offical endorsement by the David Brown Tractor Club, it's Officers or Committee.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

letsshoot

880 selectamatic - points to look out for when buying

Post by letsshoot » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:08 am

Hi all, going to view a 880 selectamatic this evening.

Any points to look out for?

What are the typical bad points

Thanks

JamesF

RE: 880 selectamatic - points to look out for when buying

Post by JamesF » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:14 am

Just the general things you'd look out for on any old tractor really. I suppose the main thing is are the hydraulics working correctly.

There's bound to be things not right with it, things worn or possibly missing. It all comes down to the price. Even if it needs a fair bit of work it's worth getting if the price is right!!

letsshoot

Post by letsshoot » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:59 am

It's this one on eBay at the minute. It's local too, which is worth up to £200 just on the saving of the hassle and traveling involved with one further away. (in my eyes anyhow).

Thanks

letsshoot

Post by letsshoot » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:05 am

Another thing, I'm assuming it's slightly bigger than fergie size, maybe Ford 3000 size? We have fergie implements and our ford 4110 is too cumbersome for the potato planter etc. As the tyres are too wide for the ridges it creates. The 4110 is great for everything else we require it to do, so I'm not interested in messing with the wheel width and changing tyres and/or wheels on it.

I've had my eye on something more compact for a while, just hope this DB fits the bill. It looks in fair condition from the photos.

Thanks

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:20 am

It's a bigger tractor than say a grey ferguson or a 35/35x. Probably more along the lines if a 135 in size and horsepower.

letsshoot

Post by letsshoot » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:28 am

Should be fine, size wise. What are the brakes generally like on them? Our potato patch is on a slope, so brakes are important!! lol
Thanks

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:08 pm

General wearing parts such as steering joints, brake shoe linings and tyres are easily enough replaced and hydraulic lift not working or only partially does not in most cases pose a particular problem unless it's the pump itself. As long as the engine starts and runs smoothly with little or no smoke and the clutch is good and all the gears mesh and it drives ok then it has potential. As for value, that's what ever you're prepared to pay for it. The white 880 was made between 1965 and 1971, has a 3 cylinder 46hp engine that is very economical to run and is a mid-range tractor that is very popular. Look for oil leaks, especially from under the tractor clutch housing.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:32 pm

Is this it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231357439614? ... 26_rdc%3D1

Looks like it's had a front loader on it at some time so take a good look at the front axle for wear, kingpins and trunnion pin. The bonus is the topper that comes with it, providing that works ok. Remember that the more you need to or want to do to the tractor to get it to a standard that you require will cost you money.

letsshoot

Post by letsshoot » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:52 pm

Yes that's the one. Will pay attention to points mentioned.

Thanks for the pointers, much appreciated.

leshanmer

Post by leshanmer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:50 pm

Looks like a nice project, probably similar to mine when I started. one thing that does jump out at me is the topper Please get the PTO shaft properly guarded before you use it. good luck.