Hydraulic return pipe

This section has been requested by various Members who have interesting things to say about DB items on eBay, i.e. giving advice to new DB Members about the suitability of eBay items. It is NOT for selling items that are on eBay, Members can do that in the For Sale section. Neither is it to be used for derogatory comments about eBay items or eBay Sellers. The section will be strictly controlled and any posts deemed unsuitable by the Administrators will be removed.

Any comments or advice are purely the opinion of the Poster and not in any way an offical endorsement by the David Brown Tractor Club, it's Officers or Committee.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

odin

Hydraulic return pipe

Post by odin » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Wanting to fit a DB Mid-mounted mower to an 880E Implematic. Got the instruction book which shows the hydraulic return pipe for 770 Imps and 880/990 Selectamatics, but does not show the return for 880/990 Implematics with the 3 way valve and taps ?

RE: Hydraulic return pipe

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:23 pm

I don't think there was a specific return point on Implematics, all those that I have seen were returned via the gearbox filler plug hole where a fitting had been fabricated to fit in place of the bung. Have a look under the three taps, there might be a couple of bungs in the body but if there is they would be for an oil feed and not a return.

odin

Post by odin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:56 am

Hmm. There are other ports in the three way valve but I get the impression that they are all pressure feed ports. The furthest left port is for the front loader which must take oil from the lift ram as the arms cannot be used in conjunction with a front loader. Its not having a front loader so I can blank that port off. The middle port, now is that for the tipper pipe ? Can it be used in conjunction with the arms? Would there ever be a need to use them together unless a certain implement is used on the arms? This must also be its own oil return like when the tipper is lowered?
The third inner port, is blanked off. This I think is the correct feed port for the mower so I can use this port, but the return?
I studied the 880 Selectamatic display tractor at Malvern with Mid mounted mower but the return pipe goes into the casting on top of the lift ram housing.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:32 am

I used to have a 4 cylinder 880 many years ago, fitted with the AL2 front loader, it was plumbed into one of the ports under three-way tap unit and return oil came back through the fitting that had been fabricated to fit in the gearbox filler, the loader was operated by turning off two of the taps and lifted/lowered by the hydraulic lever, the fork/bucket tip was manual, handle and cable. Obviously you could not return oil on top the axle, one, the crossbox covered it and two, there are no ports on the axle casting. I had a small 'Perry' bale loader squeezer I used on it and to operate the squeezer ram there was an on-off lever valve fitted in the oil feed pipe. Most oil operated implements at that time would have been operated via the exactor, tipping trailer and the like.