Petrol /TVO/ kerosene -who uses what?

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

Please note the Forum Site is not managed by David Brown Tractor Club Ltd only hosted

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email callysmith95@outlook,com giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderator: admin

prblake

Post by prblake » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:02 am

I would love to hear from Cropmaster and VAK1 owners about what they actually run their tractors on. I have spoken to my DB friends here in Australia and everyone talks about kerosene and TVO but in reality all seem to run their tractors on petrol. I have looked at the old threads on this topic and while there is plenty of discussion about recipes and why we should run on TVO or some special kerosene recipe there is not many reports of what the tractors are actually being run on.

Can we have a few reports on what we run our cropmasters on please?

Paul

RE: Petrol /TVO/ kerosene -who uses what?

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:32 pm

Your suggestion Paul is a good one for as you say, there seem to be many recipes for fuel for these tractors but as has been discussed and mentioned before, these tractors should really run on kerosene when hot and not TVO, the 'K' in VAK (tractor type) is the clue as these engines were designed to run on kerosene so if the carbourettor is set up correctly and the engine is up to temperature it should run perfectly well on straight kerosene. It is however acceptable to substitute kerosene with TVO in colder conditions such as in cooler climate countries or in a cooler season of the year. TVO is no longer available as we all know but the accepted alternative has to be a mix of fuels, the best 'recipe' is for every 4 gallons of mix, 3 gallons of kerosene, one gallon of petrol and half a pint of 2 stroke oil. The oil is needed to help lubricate the engine bores and piston rings as petrol, being a spirit, burns dry. However, only mix what you will need for a given time as petrol goes stale over a short period of time which will degrade the mix and render it inefficient. Only use a good quality 'domestic' heating oil kerosene, anything else is not good enough. Also remember that kerosene is a totally different oil than paraffin so don't confuse the two.

Robert10100

RE: Petrol /TVO/ kerosene -who uses what?

Post by Robert10100 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi,

I've heard people on this forum saying that the tractors should be run on pure kerosene (after being turned over from petrol) - hence VAK (Vehicle Agricultural Kerosene). I ran the VAK1C I used to have on tvo - paraffin, petrol, diesel and a small drop of two-stroke oil. But to be honest, it never really warmed up enough to run efficiently on tvo as it was only out for short runs, so I ended up just running it on petrol continuously. We had a 25C that could be turned over very quickly to tvo...

prblake

Post by prblake » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:38 am

Thanks to PR and Robert for their responses. I have a feeling that the lack of response from other members suggests that most people are running their Cropmasters on petrol when they run them. Probably reasonable given that Cropmasters are now more collectors items than working trsctors. So is anyone regularly running their Cropmasters on TVO or fuel other than petrol? And if running all the time on Petrol have you had any detyrtimental side effects?

Sorry to be so analytical about this topic but I think it is interesting to know what people are using.

Regards

Paul

Dewi

tvo

Post by Dewi » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:06 pm

I`ve just done a road run on my recently restored DB25 , it ran very nicely on a TVO mix of 3 heating oil ( 28 sec ) to 1 of petrol with 5cc per litre of two stroke oil .A friend of mine uses a mix of 4 to 1 in his Cropmaster for ploughing matches .

tomdownunder

RE: tvo

Post by tomdownunder » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:37 am

I have a DB 25 and have never tried kerosene simply because it is over 3 times the price of petrol. I am curious to find out how well it runs though. Maybe one day - for the time being I will continue to run on straight petrol (with valve lube added)
1954 david brown 25 petrol/kerosene

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:07 am

Different here Tom, petrol is around twice the price of kero. We're all being ripped off the World over, not so much by the oil producers but here it's the Government that takes 80% of what we pay for it in tax.

tomdownunder

Post by tomdownunder » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 pm

Powerrabbit, same here. Most of our petrol price is tax and I am sure back in the days when people used kerosene heaters kero was far cheaper than petrol.
1954 david brown 25 petrol/kerosene

tedwood

Post by tedwood » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:59 am

Im starting on e10 with 30/1 two stroke oil then switch to 50/50 e10/old sump oil ,runs well but verry smoky iv had no probs but ime looking at a de coke soon. at witch tine ill report bore/valve condition.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:27 am

If you keep using 'old sump oil' in the engine for a fuel mix I'm surprised it will run at all, perhaps in Victoria your ambient temperatures are quite high and the oil is thin enough to burn but in time you will ruin the engine if you continue to use it as the old oil is very abrasive due to the carbon content and you will end up wearing out the bores and the piston rings.

A lot of owners of D.B. tractors with petrol/kerosene engines that mix their own 'TVO' say that they won't run very well on it. Strictly speaking, and I've said it before, these engines should run on straight kerosene, that's what the K in VAK denotes. In order for the engine to run properly and efficiently on kero is to have the carbourettor set up properly, use the correct type of sparking plugs, ones with the three prongs on the electrode end, the gap should be 0.030" for magneto ignition (30thou)and 0.020" for coil ignition, the points should be set to a gap of 0.012" with them 'open'. Have the engine hot enough to vaporise the oil. In maintaining the engine at a high enough temperature to vaporise it is important to be able to control the temperature, this is why there was a radiator blind fitted and a temperature guage, so that you could regulate the temperature by raising or lowering the blind and without a blind it is very difficult to maintain the temperature. You can also regulate the temperature, especially at start up, by closing the pre-heater regulator, the sleeve on the air intake tube, by twisting it around to open and close and when the engine is hot enough the guage needle should be in the green sector or if a guage on the dash panel, should be reading 180 degrees F. Also take note that if you experience fuel flow or delivery issues that there is a filter screen behind the large banjo bolt of the fuel inlet pipe from the tank/sediment bowl on the carbourettor that needs to be kept clean.

charleston

Post by charleston » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:32 am

I used to own three Db's during the early seventies and these were all petrol/kero two 25's and a Super cropmaster all used kero after been started on petrol I always found a few minutes was enough to change to kero from petrol,these were all used on a market garden, the kero used was NOT the kero available to day it was special brew available from the fuel depots and called agricultural kero or power kero the last two companies that supplied this in Victoria were Mobile and Shell, this kero was thicker that either lighting kero or petrol more like heating oil or diesel, by using straight petrol the usage increases and it would be difficult to justify the cost, I believe the jets in the carbie are larger to handle the denser fuel, perhaps if the jets could be changed to slighter smaller ones this could help.

tedwood

Post by tedwood » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:56 pm

have just heard, from a reliable sorce tha i can run my 25c on a 20-1 mix of e10 and hydrolised veg oil{margerine?}. i took some convincing, but he showed me his heselman system tractor {inter} running on it. Raises density and slows burn rate for broad power spread like power kero did, and reduces fuel consumtion by 20-30% over straight e10? ime going to try this and various mixes after i finnish reassembly of my 25c. reguarding old sump oil as fuel mixer,the motor wasnt excessively coked but the bores were very shiney and needed de glazeing, trying to find a high comp head { 900 petrol only} but will clean and descale/regrind old head to refit soon. Has anybody else heard/tryed this marge/e10 fuel option, or have {sensible} opinions about it?