Clutch master cylinder removal on caseih 1494

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

eddiem

Clutch master cylinder removal on caseih 1494

Post by eddiem » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:53 pm

Hi all,

could someone tell me please, what i need to do in order to remove the clutch master cylinder on my 1987 caseih 1494.Its very hard to get at , with the dash in the way.

I need to replace the seals but can't see how i can do this unless maybe by removing the dash .Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

Eddie

jimc1390

RE: Clutch master cylinder removal on caseih 1494

Post by jimc1390 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:01 pm

steering wheel off, heater switch wires off, top of the hand throttle off and tacho drive off, there should be 2 crosss head bolts either side of the dash and you can slip her off just about
db 990 selectamatic
case ih 1594 com ed
db 1390 gd90 loader

eddiem

Post by eddiem » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply.I will do that - im just waiting on the seal kit to arrive.

jimc1390

Post by jimc1390 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:08 pm

little bit of wet and dry just to polish the bore, if they are green seals in there already then its had a set before so they might not last an amazing amount of time, dont forget its lhm for the fluid
db 990 selectamatic
case ih 1594 com ed
db 1390 gd90 loader

eddiem

Post by eddiem » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:12 pm

Ok thanks - do you think i should put on a new clutch master cylinder if the seals dont last too long after i replace them?

jimc1390

Post by jimc1390 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:51 pm

there is nothing wrong with replacing seals i have done it many many times, from new the seals were black, replacements are green, if the bores look ok and the seals feel nice and snug then go with the reseal
db 990 selectamatic
case ih 1594 com ed
db 1390 gd90 loader

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:41 pm

When you remove the cylinder remember to wash all components clean as dirt in the old fluid can roughen the bore and the plunger, as said, determine the amount of wear and polish the inside of the bore and the plunger with very fine steel wool, DO NOT use wet and dry paper or emery cloth. If these clean ok to a shiny surface then you should have no issues with fluid leakage with new seals fitted. If the components still remain after cleaning with a dull dark colouration, renew the whole unit. It is also advisable to, when you dismantle all the plunger components, to lay them out in the exact way and position they come off as it is very easy to install parts of the new seal kit the wrong way round. In the kit you will also find a sachet of grease, only use a very thin smear of this to lubricate the bore when you push the plunger back in otherwise the grease will block it up and the fluid will not pass and operate the cylinder. Again, as said only use LHM fluid (in both the clutch and brake reservoirs), this fluid can be obtained cheapest from any garage, motor repair shop that deals with Peugeot and Citroen cars as these use the same LHM fluid, normally should come in 1 litre container.