what do they teach in schools these days????????????????????

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Madders

what do they teach in schools these days????????????????????

Post by Madders » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:05 am

[.................................[/size] Image

RE: what do they teach in schools these days????????????????

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:24 am

Trouble nowadays with schools Chris is that they don't teach the alphabet and teach the letters as you would say them, they teach what they term as 'phonics' which just teaches what sound the letters make which is to a young child very confusing as there are letters that give the same sound such as C and K. It is not until a child goes to secondary school that they are taught spelling, pronunciation and grammer, as long as the written word 'sounds' right spelling is not taken into account. I don't think it's the childs fault, it's the teachers that are to blame as most of the Primary teachers are no more than basic child-minders themselves and are practically illiterate. I have first hand experience of this as my Brothers 8 year old Daughter is just beginning to grasp spelling the proper way because we help her, she says that the teachers in her school don't do that,no wonder most of the children are backward. They give 'homework' that even her Mother doesn't understand so how the hell is the child supposed to?

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:13 pm

My Daughter and her Husband both teach at Repton, one of the English Public Schools. He is Director of Sport there. They both have proper teaching degrees, Sarah got hers from Oxford.

You have only got to have listen to them for half an hour and you get to know what a terrible condition the State sector is in.

We have a generation that we have let down very badly as far as education is concerned. That, mediocre parenting, slack liberal minded Government Ministers, and lots of other reasons have created something that will come back to bite this nation of ours in years to come.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

simonwill69

Post by simonwill69 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:16 pm

Hear,Hear !

simonwill69

Post by simonwill69 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:17 pm

This one's almost as bad, but funny near the end.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/fordson-dexta-tra ... 35aecf3b10

Alchad

Post by Alchad » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:55 pm

Chris,

Shame on you - I thought we wuz gunna try and keep David's blud prezzur down and u go and post that link.

Alchad :twisted:

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:04 pm

It's easy to generalise, but the two schools I worked in had excellent teaching methods. The last one, a comprehensive, monitored teachers very closely and has been made a (sort of) teacher training provider.

Most of the teachers I worked with knew the pupils. When my nephew was at school (in the 80's), his parents went to a parents' evening and asked one teacher about "Joe Jones". The teacher looked blank and said that he must be about the middle of the class as he couldn't remember the name; if he could remember the name, the child was either very good or very bad!

I suspect part of the problem is that pupils have to do ten or eleven GCSEs - which mean little if they take 'A' levels (as many seem to do at the moment). When they are only taught for about 25 hours a week, it must limit the time that can be spent on a subject! I know many less able pupils would have been better off if they only did three or four (eg English, Maths and a Science or two).

I was taught phonetic alphabets in the 50's and, while I'm not excellent at spelling (and went to a very minor public school), the method worked for me! However, in the late 60's and early 70's, the trendy teachers brought in phonetic spelling - eg ketul spells kettle! That was one of the things the Thatcher Government stopped (not a political comment!), though there was a Labour Education minister who wanted "all pupils to be above average"!

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Alchad wrote:Chris,

Shame on you - I thought we wuz gunna try and keep David's blud prezzur down and u go and post that link.

Alchad :twisted:
Nothing wrong with the old blood pressure Alan. 124/72 :lol: :lol: It just needs to be a lower viscosity that all you guys, that's all. Mind you, it makes my blood boil when I see our beautiful English language adulterated like that.
Image Image

nevilleporter

Post by nevilleporter » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:26 pm

The seller of that item is not a teenager, I would say in his 30s. I bought the 30TD crawler from him a few years ago, a good enough fellow to work with. There were spelling mistakes in that ad, and a few weeks after I bought the crawler some other "ebayer" listed it on ebay and even copied the spelling mistakes but took out the phone number.

denbute

Post by denbute » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:41 pm

All that rubbish spelling makes it harder for a foreigner like me to read it. It makes communication more difficult for me. I sometimes sit in front of my screen speaking the 'words' out loud, just to be able to understand what they mean. The rest of the house thinks I'm an idiot!
I was taught English spelling and grammar by older teachers who valued correct spelling and grammar very high. Not sure if I'm making lots of mistakes, but as a foreigner it's probably allowed to make some mistakes.
<b>1964 David Brown 880 Implematic sn: 880C357040 4 cylinder
197? David Brown 1210 sn: 1210/1/728679
1978 David Brown 996 sn: 995/6/11083514

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:09 pm

One particular thing that has in recent years spoilt the child and their command of the English language is mobile phones and the use of 'text talk'. It is acceptable to abreviate words that allow themselves to be shortened and still understood but to shorten a whole sentence or paragraph is just laziness.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:33 am

denbute wrote:All that rubbish spelling makes it harder for a foreigner like me to read it. It makes communication more difficult for me. I sometimes sit in front of my screen speaking the 'words' out loud, just to be able to understand what they mean. The rest of the house thinks I'm an idiot!
I was taught English spelling and grammar by older teachers who valued correct spelling and grammar very high. Not sure if I'm making lots of mistakes, but as a foreigner it's probably allowed to make some mistakes.

Congratulations Denbute. Your written English is better than at least 50% of the indigenous population. Well done.
Image Image

Madders

Post by Madders » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:34 am

innit!
[.................................[/size] Image

manxmac

Post by manxmac » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:43 am

Education in England is a total disgrace, the comprehensive system has destroyed our former ability to be world leaders in science and engineering. One reason for the poor spelling of our primary school children is that when first learning the alphabet it is illogically taught in lower case form as a result years are wasted trying to correct reversed letters 9 for p etc phone texting is another disaster.
Mind you I read somewhere that the biggest money earners are now Music, Media, TV and Computer games and they outperform any previous earnings from the rust belt industries

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:01 am

don't you think that all these problems start from home!