Milkstone and primer

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

mburns

Milkstone and primer

Post by mburns » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Hi just checking that what i have bought today is compatable with the cellulose paint supplied by the club shop .

Milkstone is to convert the rust as per Alchad`s sugestions and then to thin the zinc primer with the thinners by about ?????? 10 - 15 % ?

Then top coat with CLUB SHOP paint

Thanks Martin :D

P.a i know its red and not grey primer as some have sugested .

RE: Milkstone and primer

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:47 pm

Martin. You can use oil based top coat on cellulose based undercoat/primer but not cellulose based top coat on oil based primer otherwise the top coat will react and end up looking like you've sprayed it with nitromorse. If in doubt, test both on a bit of sheet tin as you would be puting it on the tractor, you only need to do it with a small paint brush. If both top coat and primer has the same base then you're ok.

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:58 pm

Aye, be carefull Martin, the last thing you want is a strange colour reaction :shock: .

Think I`m coming round to the origanal idea of grey rather than red/copper :wink: (primer that is!!!!!)

Regards

`Ex` Silver Fox

mburns

Post by mburns » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks powerrabbit

Is the club paint cellulose and is this zinc primer cellulose or oil based

mburns

Post by mburns » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:03 pm

Yes i know what you mean broadsword, i looked everywhere for grey but red is all they had , it seames that grey is very very rare and if you have some it should be treasured and not over painted :lol:
Martin

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:34 pm

I suspect the shop sells synthetic enamel paint, but Madders will let us know soon. Cellulose is mainly used on older cars and is hard to get now (volatile organic compounds etc).

I wouldn't know what the primer is, but as Powerrabbit says, enamel will go on cellulose without problems. If you hunt around grey primer is available (I think Halfords will happily take loads of money from you for a small tin).

However, I am now using Bilt Hamber's etch primer. They do etch weld as a weld-through zinc primer (grey) and a slightly more expensive etch primer (about £22 per litre). I sprayed the Fergy front axle with the expensive stuff last summer and it gave a really good strong layer of grey primer (I think it is cellulose-based - celly thinners are needed for thinning). I dropped one of the stub axles onto a paving flag and it didn't mark the new primer! The Fergy grey (Vapormatic - synthetic) sprayed over it without any problems.

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:45 pm

Just to annoy you - a picture of a temporary fix on the 995's nosecone. The coat of GREY primer is a guide coat for further sanding. It is Plasticoat (aerosol!).

It's too late for spraying paint up here (frost for three days and heavy rain today), but I was sick of seeing the flattened nose! I brush painted the gloss on Sunday and it has run beautifully!

mburns

Post by mburns » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:54 pm

Thanks John it just says tractor and implement enamel on the club shop tin .
Suppose i should have asked on the weekend when i was talking to Madders :roll:

So if it synthetic emamel from the club ,can i use it over this primer or would it just be best to get a synthetic primer , if so will this synthetic primer go over the milkstone remover ok ?

Looks like its all down to the club selling synthetic paint , where are you Smithers , turn off those dwarves and get back to answering the questions
Martin :D

Alchad

Post by Alchad » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:42 pm

Screwfix do a grey zinc primer, unfortunately only in 20 litre size cans (for £51) as far as I can see.

Should last for a good few tractors!

Alchad

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:06 pm

If you stick your nose in the tin Martin and draw in a reasonable nosefull you'll know what the base is, if it smells like varnish then it's an oil base, if it smells like something stronger and makes you cough and splutter then it's cellulose based. :wink:

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:15 pm

Alchad wrote:Screwfix do a grey zinc primer, unfortunately only in 20 litre size cans (for £51) as far as I can see.

Should last for a good few tractors!

Alchad
i buy 5 ltr cans cos its handy ,25 lts are cheaper and 45gall is even cheaper!

mburns

Post by mburns » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi Thanks for the answers i have been working on the 900 tonight and have coated the bits i have done in acid .

I will await the details as reguards the club paint or do as powerrabbit says with a test or a sniff

Thanks Martin

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:52 pm

Powerrabbit wrote:If you stick your nose in the tin Martin and draw in a reasonable nosefull you'll know what the base is, if it smells like varnish then it's an oil base, if it smells like something stronger and makes you cough and splutter then it's cellulose based. :wink:
Either that or its the farm scrumpy you guys like down there :roll:

Mind you thats probably allready been used to strip the paint :lol:

Andy

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:00 am

mburns wrote:Hi Thanks for the answers i have been working on the 900 tonight and have coated the bits i have done in acid .

I will await the details as reguards the club paint or do as powerrabbit says with a test or a sniff

Thanks Martin
Martin. I have asked Smithers for the spec. of the Club paint but he was away last evening so I expect he will come up trumps tonight.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:51 am

Andy, we don't drink scrumpy anymore as you can't get it because there's no-one left now that really knows how to make it and the real scrumpy is pretty rough stuff anyway. There are quite a few traditional farmhouse cider makers down here, there are 3 around me making mainly sweet and dry cider but the best is to have a 50/50 mix of the two if you want a good cider. All the cider you buy now in the pub or in bottles is no more than fizzy apple juice and has no resemblance to the real stuff.