1390 noisy power steering

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

msw

1390 noisy power steering

Post by msw » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:14 pm

dear all @ david brown tractor club
i am really struggling with this power steering problem.It whines and makes a sort of vibrating noise,the tone of which changes,with engine rev`s.Perhaps someone else has experienced the same problem.I have changed the filter and oil, but no improvement.The tractor was making these noises when i bought it,but i thought i knew what the problem was,i obviously did`nt! Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks
mark

david1690

RE: 1390 noisy power steering

Post by david1690 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:23 pm

I think it may be Air in the system.
However if the steering is slow, I would say the pump is worn.

msw

Post by msw » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:46 pm

Thanks for replying david,but unfortunately i have done that, but it did`nt stop it.I don`t think the pump is worn because steering is very responsive,and tractor has only done 3000 hours.I am just wondering whether there is an air lock somewhere else in the system which is hard to remove.What do you think?
many thanks
mark

david1690

Post by david1690 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Is the noise from under the dash/cab area?

Oz

Post by Oz » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:28 am

I have the same problem on my 1390 with the noise coming from under the dash area. Any suggestions as to how I can make it go away would be very well received, it does not strike me as normal because a friend's 1290 does not do it.

It is worse on fuller lock or at higher revs. Also worse the faster the steering is turned. The steering is very responsive and powerful.

msw

Post by msw » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:23 pm

dear david,thank you so much for taking an interest, and trying to help me.It is very much appreiciated.Yes, the noise does seem to be coming from under the dash.If i hold the upper p\s pipe inside the cab just above foot throttle, and my son moves the wheel at about 1200-1500 revs i can feel the pipe vibrating.
My problem sounds exactly the same as Oz's, so maby its a common fault on a 1390,because i`ve no problem with my 1490.Any more suggestions would be very helpful
many thanks
mark

mitch

Post by mitch » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:23 pm

Is the steering valve knackered (orbitrol valve?). If steering works and steering fluid is not burnt or depleted all the time I wouldn't worry about it.
non-Q 1975 1210 2wd
model# 1210/1 728931
engine# AD4/55A 26193

1975 1412 2wd
model# 1412/1 1050623
engine# 455011 120673

david1690

Post by david1690 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:19 pm

Mitch has said it really.If you have tried all other things then the unit has a fault in it.

I was told once that if there is any wear on some part of the unit (I dont remember which part!)It is not repairable.
But the seal kits are around £50 and you could probably manage it yourself. I used to have a manual for these but cant find it now.
Much easier and cheaper to replace the whole unit with a second hand one I feel.

mburns

Post by mburns » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:22 pm

There is usualy a second hand orbital unit for sale on ebay from guy hall in yorkshire .

martin

Alchad

Post by Alchad » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:23 pm

I've played about with most of the power steering bits with varying degrees of success and swapped orbitrols AND power steering pumps tp get rid of a similar noise - all to no avail. In the end it more or less disappeared on its own. Maybe it's the ghost of some disgruntled David Brown employee that wanders from 1390 to 1390 to upset their owners!

Seriously, I recall a conversation with someone - I think it might even have been one of the experts at Barclay Williams - who reckoned that they moved the location of the orbitrol from inside the cab/dash area to outside because of the noise issue. Don't know how true this is Mark, if you've also got a 1490, might be worth having a look to see if they are in the same place.

Also, I think I also found that the noise was rev dependant, which maybe implies it's some sort of harmonic resonance effect set up in the connecting pipes. Don't really know what you can do about that except try and keep out of the particular rev range.

Alchad

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:43 pm

Alchad wrote: Don't really know what you can do about that except try and keep out of the particular rev range.

Alchad
Ear muffs ? 8) 8) 8)
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby