How do i find the age of my tractor

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

munga

How do i find the age of my tractor

Post by munga » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:24 pm

I am new to this forum so any help would be appriciated.
I have just bought 2 david brown tractors from a farmer, both are 3 cylinders , 1 has an id plate on the rear arch so i know that is a 770 model, The other has a siezed crank but i cant find any ID numbers anywhere on it. There is no plate on the rear arch & no markings on the flat section to the rear of where the tool box is located. I want to apply for log books for both of them but currently dont know the reg numbers either. Any help would be much appriciated ,l i could post a picture if it helps

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:07 pm

post your pictures

Alchad

Post by Alchad » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:26 pm

Munga,

Also have a look at FAQ's 7 and 13 (left hand menu).

Alchad

munga

Post by munga » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:57 pm

Here's my first try at pictures !!

John_Allen

Post by John_Allen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:27 pm

The first one has an 880 chassis (I nearly went by the bonnet - it's wrong!). The clue for me was the "hole" above and behind the starter motor - only on 880's. Also, the starter on 990's of that era are on the RH side.

I would suggest the second pic is of an 880 too - the hole is there again and the reductions look like 880 ones. Also note the chassis is waisted beside the engine - a 780 is straight from clutch to front "tombstone". The lack of an hydraulic oil filter on top of the LH rear axle suggests post 68 (or so) - there should be a big round filter under the gearbox.

dsk

Re: How do i find the age of my tractor

Post by dsk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:22 pm

munga wrote:The other has a siezed crank but i cant find any ID numbers anywhere on it. There is no plate on the rear arch & no markings on the flat section to the rear of where the tool box is located.
Are there no numbers stamped into the engine block? Right hand side I think, towards the rear of the block. That would be above the tool box on mine.
780 880 990

munga

RE: Re: How do i find the age of my tractor

Post by munga » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:43 pm

John , sorry i did not explain before i posted the pictures, both pictures are of the same tractor , the second picture is after i stripped it down a little. I have not yet got the second one home yet. Sorry about that.
This is the tractor with the siezed crank although after stripping it down a set of big end shells should sort that out.
The numbers on the engine block are AD3 55A 16671 if that helps at all. Also i want to inspect the rear brakes, can i just unbolt the rear hubs & slide it all out with the half shafts attached, is the anything in the axle that can drop out of line if i do that.

dsk

Re: RE: Re: How do i find the age of my tractor

Post by dsk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:31 pm

munga wrote:The numbers on the engine block are AD3 55A 16671 if that helps at all.
16671 should be your engine serial number.
Make sure you wire up the diff lock to keep it permanently engaged if removing the reductions.
If you don't have a manual then have a look here at the Transmission pdf
780 880 990

munga

RE: Re: RE: Re: How do i find the age of my tractor

Post by munga » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:35 pm

Thanks DSK , i am car mechanic by trade with 30 years experiance , i am new to tractors. Could you expalin how i wire up the diff lock ??, what happens if its not wired up ??

munga

RE: Re: RE: Re: How do i find the age of my tractor

Post by munga » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:49 pm

I have just looked at the PDF you sent me , many thanks for all that , i got a long read ahead of me. That answers another question i had. The 770 i also bought had the rear brakes stripped apart by the farmer that used to own it but he could not get the half shafts back in. Is there an easy fix, i looked at it & the diff lock had not been wired up.
(I am glad i asked this question before i stripped this one apart)

mburns

Post by mburns » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Don`t you have to tie down the diff lock to engage it !!!!!!

Martin

dsk

Post by dsk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:59 pm

and just because I have nothing better to do right now, :)

780 880 990

munga

Post by munga » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:22 pm

Thanks DSK , what happens if it is not tied in place ?? What part falls where ?? Is it easy to put back together after ??

dsk

Post by dsk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:36 pm

I don't know. I have changed reductions but I never made that mistake. Hopefully someone else can say.

Edit:
Just had a search and found a mention of the same problem here. Members restoration/ DB 1200 restoration
780 880 990

nevilleporter

Post by nevilleporter » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:05 am

My father told me he took out a reduction one time (before I can remember) without tying down the diff lock, eventually managed to line it up with a brush shaft.