1290 power steering pump

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Alchad

Post by Alchad » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:52 pm

Pete,

Glad it worked.

As to getting the gear off, again, if your sensible, try a couple of large flat bladed screwdrivers, or similar and gently prise underneaeth. Luckily mine wasn't too tight and came off very easily. Alternatively use a gear puller. For a one of job such as this you'll probably find a very cheap Rolson brand at one of your local cheap DIY places. Alternatively

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-PIECE-3-JAW-GEA ... 4150f03461

They seem to have quite a few on offer, you can guess at the quality, but as I said for a one off job...

Alchad

nonsavant

Post by nonsavant » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:33 am

OK, new seals are in place and pump reassembled.

The new filter comes with a white plastic washer and a smaller rubber washer. Any suggestions on where these should go? Evidently the spring-loaded plate inside the housing holds the filter in place, do the seals go between the plate and the filter?

Cheers
Pete

Alchad

Post by Alchad » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:56 am

Pete,

If the white washer is about 1 inch in diameter I think it goes between the filter and the pump body. The rubber washer is probably for the bolt which fastens the outer can to the main body.

Alchad

nonsavant

Post by nonsavant » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:14 am

Hi,

There is no washer in the packs which will fit between the pump body and the filter. The outside diameter of the white washer is the same as the inside diameter of the filter.

Looking back at powerrrabbit's post to the Vapormatic parts, I have accounted for all the items listed beside the filter pack, so maybe there are no seals or washers to be fitted to the filter.

Pete

nonsavant

Post by nonsavant » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:09 pm

hmm... another problem. The gasket between the pump and the engine block is missing (#22 on the diagram), and I guess it should be replaced in any case. Looks like someone has previously used a mastik-like sealant on it.

Should the gasket be readily available?

Cheers,
Pete

jazo

Post by jazo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:08 pm

the white washer your talking about is probably for the fill/level plug? probably just as easy to make a gasket
1694 4wd
1394 4wd
1294 4wd
30D
990x2
780x2

mburns

Post by mburns » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:05 pm

Hi the plastic washer is for the filler plug and there should be a thin rubber washer either side of the filter , i put the plastic washer in between the filter too and didnt notice the rubber ones were missing untill i took a closer look at the old filter after i had put it all back together , well mine is still like that at the moment with no ill afects yet ? :roll:

Why dont they come with the rubber washers anymore ?????????

Martin :twisted:

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:31 pm

Probably in order to keep the price down Martin, like no longer supplying the locking nut with the steering joints or the proper dirt excluders.

Can't you peel the rubber washers off the old filter and stick them either side the new one?
Pump to front plate should be easy enough to make, just make sure that you cut out all the required nessecary holes.
The white larger plastic washer is the neww filler plug seal, it should have 3 lugs on the inside which hold it in place on the top end of the thread so you won't loose it, you screw it on the plug to fit it.

mburns

Post by mburns » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:57 pm

Hi Powerrabbit

Unfortunately one washer was damaged last time it was fitted , i was unshure if there is a special type of rubber that they use in a pump that doesn`t break up and clog the filter ?

Thanks Martin

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:21 pm

Think it's a rubber/cotton composite Martin.

nonsavant

Post by nonsavant » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:18 pm

The washers and seals are pretty academic now, as I just sheared one of the mounting bolts putting the pump back on :( ************. Does that front plate on the engine come off as a separate piece? If so, what are my chances of finding a replacement?

Pete

EDIT: Lucky escape, turns out it was a grub screw, easily removed, and have replaced with a bolt, cut to length. The pump is back on! Phew.

nonsavant

Post by nonsavant » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:47 pm

Well, after all this work replacing the seals inside the pump and ram... the steering is now worse than ever. It was better for a while, but I had 'er out last week and at times it was almost impossible to turn the steering wheel. Even revving up didn't help much.

Steering is at its worst when the tractor is stationary, and improves more with speed than with revs.

I'm now wondering -- is it the orbital (?) unit attached to the steering wheel..... OR .... damage to the pump itself (there was some scoring on the inside of the pump body, where the rotors are.... I can't say how serious it was, I've no handle on the tolerances it operates with)

Cheers guys
Pete