Oh dear, mah woman broke mah 1394...

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Oz

Oh dear, mah woman broke mah 1394...

Post by Oz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:30 pm

Lady friend comes to me wanting to learn to drive a tractor. Never one to decline a beautiful woman, I say yes, let's get my newly rebuilt 1394 out of the shed for a runabout. Uh oh...

Driving out to the field, in a cab not best described as roomy, I only discovered that she was standing on the range levers when the transmission locked up, :shock: almost flipping us over forward. I was quick enough on the clutch that the engine didn't stall, but would you ever my newly rebuilt 1394 has developed a subtle knocking. It has also mashed my wrist, which continued forwards long after the steering wheel had stopped.

I suspect that the potential damage caused is endless - damaged conrod, damaged crank, god only knows about the transmission. She's running, because I've now taken to chasing her with the 12 bore whenever she gets near my machinery (the woman that is, not the tractor)

Curses.

jimc1390

RE: Oh dear, mah woman broke mah 1394...

Post by jimc1390 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:20 pm

i cant see that her standing on range levers would cause it to lock up, push it out of gear maybe or at worst be only half engaged and shag out a gear, this would cause loss of drive not trans locking up, only way i can see it locking up is if somehow forward gear and reverse have somehow selected together, siezed, or something, i would jack up back end and turn one wheel to see if other one spins, it may indicate diff or gear box, cant see it being reduction as this would have the affect of popping your foot on a independant,
db 990 selectamatic
case ih 1594 com ed
db 1390 gd90 loader

jimc1390

Post by jimc1390 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:21 pm

4wd is she? might be front axle?
db 990 selectamatic
case ih 1594 com ed
db 1390 gd90 loader

ttpilot

Post by ttpilot » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:18 am

ha ha the trouble women get us into! However many an old david brown fan will tell you if your hunting dear!! The croppie is best suited for such animals LOL They don't call em the single mans tractor fer nothing !! LOL

Oz

Post by Oz » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:43 am

The tractor is 4wd, and I had been wondering whether it was the front axle: surely the engine should have stalled if the gearbox locked up, no matter how sharp you were on the clutch?

In that case it could have just been very bad luck that it happened at the same time she was in the cab, however I have been using the tractor for years without that occuring, and have never stood on the range levers before. As such, the jury is still out on who has damaged what. Regardless, it makes for a good story and I largely blame myself for not being more careful and observant.