Hydraulic Pump Capacity on 1971 DB990

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

Please note the Forum Site is not managed by David Brown Tractor Club Ltd only hosted

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email callysmith95@outlook,com giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderator: admin

paulver

Hydraulic Pump Capacity on 1971 DB990

Post by paulver » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:19 am

Hi Guys!!
It's been awhile since I've posted here, and I have a question regarding the capacity of the hydraulic pump on my 1971 DB990 Selectamatic. I'm planning on building a 3 point log splitter to put on the tractor, and I need to know the gallons per minute that the pump will put out. The book I have says that it'll put out 6 U.S. gals. per minute. That seems kind of low to me for this size tractor. Is that because the pump uses the transmission fluid to operate the hydraulics? And, would that be enough to efficiently power a log splitter?

Thanks.

Paul, in the U.S.
There's no sense in being stupid unless you're going to show it to someone!!

erkki

RE: Hydraulic Pump Capacity on 1971 DB990

Post by erkki » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:23 am

6 US Gallons per minute is about correct. With full throttle it gives 28 litres/min.
Hydraulic flow is originally designed for using rear lift, where it is well sufficient. If you have a large ram on the splitter, it will be slow and powerful, small ram will be quicker but not necessarily sufficient for spliting a large lump. The flow is enough for log splitter if the ram is correctly chosen. One possibility is to make the plumping a little more complex and make the splitter double speed unit. With heavy splitting the oil flow is given to one side of the ram piston which gives max push. When quicker operatios is needed the flow is given on both sides of the piston, which reduces the push to the area of ram arm.

For light work 4...5 tons is sufficient, for heavy jobs double of that, depending of course of the quality of the timber and shape of the wedge.

The system gave pressure of 140 bar as new, an old system can be different.

Good luck

johnh

Post by johnh » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:16 pm

sorry to resurrect this thread but Erkki would you explain in more detail what this double speed plumbing would be like?

thanks,

kato

Post by kato » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:42 pm

Maybe this is off topic, but..

Might be other methods, but here is the one I know..

You can connect a device, dont know the term in english, between the hydraulic cental and the ram of the logsplitter. This device leads the return oil from the "rod-side" of the ram to the piston-side of the ram. This connection is shut of when pressure bulids up on the piston-side of the ram.

-Or you can use a central that has this function built in. Then you will have two "gears" when running the ram out. 1, fast and low force. 2, slow and full force.

Brgrds,
Kato.

johnh

Post by johnh » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:38 pm

Thanks Kato.

my ram has two hoses which go straight to a double acting valve. what do i need to put in there to give this 2-speed feature? or can you do a circuit diagram?

kato

Post by kato » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:33 pm

Here is a link to a pdf that has a diagram and a sketch of the part. The text is in Norwegian, so I dont know if you will be able to read it.

http://www.okonomi-deler.no/skjema/A32.pdf

But, you take the two hoses from your ram and connect it to this device. Then run two hoses to your central (or double acting valve). There are also centrals availible that has this function built in. Maybe worth checking the prices of both alternatives..

Hope this was some help.
Brgrds,
Kato.
------------
DB Case 1190

johnh

Post by johnh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:40 pm

Thanks for the link Kato but i can't find any more info on this device, even on the okonomi-deler website. do you know what individual hydraulic components it is made from?

kato

Post by kato » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:56 pm

The unit is a block with 4 connection and 1 adjustment. I don't know what parts you would need to build one. But I have seen a design once, that had a couple of non-return valves and a few other parts. -But I could not locate it.

Been looking around the web a bit. And it looks like it's, in english, called: Regenerative design or valve.

Here is a link to a "english-speaking" web site that has a central or valve that has this feature built in. It does not look like the ones that is for sale in stores here. But the function seems to be the same. http://www.cylinderservices.net/catalog ... did=601852

Also found a link to some thing that looks like the first one I posted. http://www.sunhydraulics.com/PDF%20File ... _regen.pdf

And here is a description of how it works: http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml37939.pdf

Sorry that I could not answer you question..

Feel free to PM me your email adress if you thing I could be of further assistance..
Brgrds,
Kato.
------------
DB Case 1190