nasty experience

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

joeproctor

nasty experience

Post by joeproctor » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:43 pm

just a warning of a bad experience,
i recently took on a job of repairing a 1690,didn't want the job but tried to help this chap out who just would not go away!
as i have said in previous post i do not have much time for the big browns and the hydra-shift box well thats something else!
the big engine was knocking like two sledge hammers,i suspected that the pump had failed and the warning light didn't work here spelt disaster to me,
the crank was so mangled it must have been singing for a long time way beyond a grind ,i rang alot of well known dealers all over i actually found one in france,serious money ,so the owner was contacted who said go ahead,i did complete with shells gaskets new valves etc and a new uprated oil pump rings and seals.
runs like it should and fitted with a warning light that you could go 'lamping' with on the moon!
now thats fine but when the owner could not meet the bill after giving me a cheque made by goodyear,i was stuck with a big brown with a lot of money and time that had been spent on it this would be ok if i had a job for it but i hadn't,the owner had no money i managed to get permission to sell to recoup my losses,i made one phone call to a brown operater who couldn't get his low loader here fast enough,paid me and off he went,
that was the happy ending could have been disasterous for a small operation like mine ,
THE MORAL OF THIS STORY IS:- IF YOU INSTRUCT SOME ONE TO CARRY OUT WORK FOR YOU PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE FUNDS TO PAY FOR THIS WORK BEING CARRIED OUT!!!!!!
REGARDS
JOE

mitch

RE: nasty experience

Post by mitch » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:09 am

Joe

Over hear most mechanics do work and farmer turns up and takes tractor home to be billed later. I assume you still had the tractor on your premises to be able to bargain with owner.
non-Q 1975 1210 2wd
model# 1210/1 728931
engine# AD4/55A 26193

1975 1412 2wd
model# 1412/1 1050623
engine# 455011 120673

Chris

Post by Chris » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:23 pm

Sounds familiar!

I acquired a few Fiat's that way when I was a mechanic. Usually these cars belonged to university students. Hey, a blown engine is expensive what can I say ! :-)

RitchieLeslie

nasty experience

Post by RitchieLeslie » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:16 pm

Joe

Glad you managed to cover your expenses at the end of it.

My brother used to run a marine repair business - repairs to engines, marine electronics, rigging and so on. The fancier the boat the harder it was to get paid - and you can run up some big bills on large sailboats.

In the end he insisted on a credit authorization in advance on their credit card for half the estimated cost of the job. Got rid of a lot of shady customers!

Madders

RE: nasty experience

Post by Madders » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:32 pm

I've heard a tale recently over in my neck of the woods about a 6 pot owner with bouncy cheques, must be catching.
[.................................[/size] Image

db880

Post by db880 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:04 pm

We have had the same problem at our lorry depot. You are then stuck with the truck, having to lock it away every night so the fuel doesn't get nicked, just incase the owner gets the funds up-together.

mickey

nasty experience

Post by mickey » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:07 pm

Jo,
As a fully trained agricultural engineer with 25 years in the trade this is nothing new.Welcombe to the real world of tractor mending. p/s also mend wagons they drive off faster and further.