1390 Just stopped!

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Alchad

1390 Just stopped!

Post by Alchad » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Been using the 1390 the last couple of days to load and cart road plannings to do some pothole repairs in the drive; first time it's been used for a couple of months.

All of a sudden this afternoon while driving the tractor with trailer up a slight incline the engine petered out and stopped and wouldn't restart. Checked the fuel - seemed OK, cracked the bleed points on the pump, fuel dribbled out, checked at an injector and fuel there as well. Still wouldn't start, by which time battery flat (memo to self, buy new battery!).

Walked back to house to get other half and the Landy to try and jump start. Tried for 20 minutes or so spinning the engine via jump leads and double checking fuel at all injectors. Still wouldn't start. Tried one last time and thought I noticed a mechanical noise from the pump. "there must be something wrong with the pump, sounds like it's broken inside" I said. The other half (inside cab with doors closed becasue it was cold!) must have thought I'd said "try again" and spun the engine again. This time it fired up!!

Drove back down the track 1/2 mile to the house with no problems.

So - any ideas?

Alchad

PS Just to remind you the engine was reconditioned last year.

jimc1390

RE: 1390 Just stopped!

Post by jimc1390 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:27 pm

that noise is diesel making its way into the pump, when bleeding up the noise will become apparent as you bleed her , bit of a clicky noise? its a sure way to know you have diesel coming through, was you low on fuel at the time of stop?fuel should do more than dribble from a bleed point, but infact be hiiting evrything around it!!
db 990 selectamatic
case ih 1594 com ed
db 1390 gd90 loader

Alchad

Post by Alchad » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:41 pm

Jim,

Sorry - was dribbling when the engine was stopped, when I tried when t'other half was sitting in the cab trying to start it, I did get splatted!

Alchad

eddiem

Post by eddiem » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:03 pm

Change your diesel filtres - my 1494 stopped up on me once.Changing the diesel filtres solved this problem.

jimc1390

Post by jimc1390 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:21 pm

well sounds like fuel is coming through fine,hmmm tricky one, if it was fuel it would probably have been down on power for a time before it actually came to a stop
db 990 selectamatic
case ih 1594 com ed
db 1390 gd90 loader

synchromatic

Post by synchromatic » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:35 pm

sounds to me like a dodgy lift pump possbly or filters problem. The 1390 will just stop dead with no real warning because of the type of injector pump and the low slung diesel tanks, i've suffered with them before, try filters and if need be a new lift pump
1944 DB VAK1, 1957 DB 900, 1973 DB 990, 1975 DB 996, 1984 DB 1390, 1987 Case IH 1394, 1987 Case IH 1694

jimc1390

Post by jimc1390 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:52 pm

filters are cheap to replace so worth while doing anyway, but as a lift pump could be around the 35 quid mark i would make sure its the lift pump first, with everything as it should be (bleed screws shut etc)pump the lift pump up and as the system preasurises it should hold the lever of the cam, this will feel like the lever gone all loose, diaprams can split but this would show the liftpump doin sod all and your engine oil stinking of diesel and getting very thin!!! one thing pumping up your lift pump cannot prove is if your pushrod is actually working the liftpump!! this might show up when you can get the tractor started each time by bleeding it up and pumping the lift pump by hand, but as soon as she is running she will stop again ,
db 990 selectamatic
case ih 1594 com ed
db 1390 gd90 loader

synchromatic

Post by synchromatic » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:06 pm

I've had lift pump problems a few times with 1390 and 1394, was no diesel in oil or anything like that, tractor would just occasionally stop with no warning, lift pumps can be very tempermental.
1944 DB VAK1, 1957 DB 900, 1973 DB 990, 1975 DB 996, 1984 DB 1390, 1987 Case IH 1394, 1987 Case IH 1694

jimc1390

Post by jimc1390 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:11 pm

nothing really to go wrong on them, only ever diaprams, very rarely does a valve play up on them, if it bled up fine by hand i would have a guess at lift pump push rod, remains to be seen?
db 990 selectamatic
case ih 1594 com ed
db 1390 gd90 loader

6-POT-PHIL
Location: Huddersfield, W Yorks. (Home of David Brown Tractors)

Post by 6-POT-PHIL » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:20 pm

I've had a brand new lift pump go faulty, one of the valves inside was faulty and letting fuel drain back out of the filters.

Phil
1961 850 Implematic Ex DB test tractor (now sold)
1960 950 Implematic
1970 990 12 speed Selectamatic
1976 996 Loader tractor
1987 'E' 1594 4WD Hydra-Shift
1985 'C' 1694 4WD Hydra-Shift
ImageImage

Six in line sounds mighty fine!!

bonserdb

Post by bonserdb » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:09 pm

i know of a 1494 with similar stints. winds for ever but we noticed that when the engine was being wound over and you tapped the injection pump gently with a piece of wood it would fire straight up. im told there is a small ball bearing inside which can stick. tapping the pump shocks this ball and gets things moving again.

matt
proud owner of a beloved bonser90d, 880 selectamatic and 1490 2wd synchro, and the mighty 1594!

Madders

Post by Madders » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:33 am

on a lighter note (before John 1694) throws a wobbler at me!) it's haunted, have it exorcised.we had the Devil's 990 once, ended up inside the village Wicker man before the Honley show, problem soved and fertility in the village was improved and the crops didn't fail that year....bonus!!!

I'm going for my medication now. xx
[.................................[/size] Image

Alchad

Post by Alchad » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:16 am

Thanks all,

Lift pump was new a couple of years ago and it had new filters last year when the engine was rebuilt - so doubt if its that.

Just off to do some more pothole filling so we'll see if it was a one off, or I've a problem.

Alchad

Update

Just been out for a couple of hours, ran perfectly!

Alchad

Post by Alchad » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:07 pm

Spoke too soon!

Went back up the drive with another load of planings, this time got to the very end before it died on me again. Found what looked like a small piece of straw or suchlike in the inlet line to the lift pump and some more crud in the actual inlet of the lift pump. Cleared out as best I could and blew back down the inlet line, which seemed clear. Reconnected and lift pump seemed to pump freely. Bled at injectors and injection pump and fuel there in abundance. But wouldn't start and battery quickly flat again.

Walked back to collect Landy and other half and once again managed to get it started after about half an hour trying - for some reason, even with heavy duty jump leads and the Landy revving quite hard the 1390 would only turn over for 10 to 20 seconds before needing to rest for a few minutes??.

Anyway finally started and ran OK, BUT definately seems to be firing on 3 cylinders; you can tell this particularly when revving hard - and max revs is about 2000, which seems low.

So any suggestions? The injectors were serviced about a year ago. Can't rememember exactly what this entailed but it wasn't a full strip down and rebuild. The injection pump has never been touched in the 6 years I've had the tractor.

Thanks

Alchad

mburns

Post by mburns » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Welcome to my world alchad , have you tried cracking the injectors with the engine running to see if it is an injector ?

As to the stopping it could be the injector not closing properly and alowing air into the system that way or as with mine there is a build up of slyme/ crud in the tanks

I also had a stone in the same pipe but that wasn`t the problem for me.

Martin :D