Winters definately arrived - the wasps are back!!!

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

broadsword

Winters definately arrived - the wasps are back!!!

Post by broadsword » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:24 pm

Slightly off topic and not my usual sense of humour.

Temperatures about -2C outside so have had the trusty logburner fed and fuelled all day. Just been stung twice!!!, by the same wasp, assuming the little blighter came in from the log store and woke in the warmth (disgruntled). Now have a very sore arm with 2 wasp stings, large Malt to kill the pain and a dead and flat wasp.

Any of our members in Australia in your current heatwave been attacked by thawing snowman by chance???

I can now see why Madders runs coal and not wood on his stove.

It could only happen to me!!

Andy

gregbathurst

RE: Winters definately arrived - the wasps are back!!!

Post by gregbathurst » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:34 am

Well I had a frost a couple of weeks ago, and on boxing day the max temperature was about 14C.

The bitey things on my place are a bit more dangerous than wasps.

ianoz

Post by ianoz » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:42 am

Hi Broadsword , No mate no melting snowmen attacking here ,in over 30c heat ,Mind you a very strange thing has been happening lately These strange round drops of moisture have been falling out of the sky . Theres been enough of them that they join together on the ground creating puddles. I have looked up on the internet what these strange things are and apparently ,its called RAIN :lol: But i will keep an eye on this stuff just in case it is snowmen in cogneto. ian.

John.Newman

Post by John.Newman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:09 am

Greg, the bitey things you are talking about probably the same as I have, about 6ft long and 2 inches dia and light brown colour. Still dry up our way - only been getting light drizzle most of the time - not enough yet to fill all the cracks in the ground.
Regards,
John

ianoz

Post by ianoz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi John, We get those things up here to,But luckerly don;t see a lot of them . Ran over a big carpet on the driveway the other day in the ute Did not see him as i came up over the rise .but he just crawled away like nothing had happened . We have had about 6 inches up here .,Have not had much in a long time .Pity it has not reached you guys out there ,as i dare say it would be quite welcome .Ian.

bmcgahan

Post by bmcgahan » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:15 pm

We had to kill a wasp on Christmas Day during dinner, it was a big one too. Strange things are happening. There is big problems with wasps, or bees maybe is the proper term. Colonies are collapsing. All round UK. Seen it on TV. They are importing bees to pollenate apple trees.

mitch

Post by mitch » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:18 pm

Andy closest I came to being wildlife in last few was big black snake while yarding my cattle. They are friendly though, looked at me wagged his tounge and then left. Browns are different, look at you and then work out if they want to kill you :cry:

I heard about the bees Bernie, real problem that. My dad always panicked at apple blossom time, where are the bees. We have native ones too, stingless.

John we have had 6 1/2 inches of rain this month and counting, showering now.

Happy New Years to you all.

Mitch
non-Q 1975 1210 2wd
model# 1210/1 728931
engine# AD4/55A 26193

1975 1412 2wd
model# 1412/1 1050623
engine# 455011 120673

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Would you chaps from Oz. mind telling us Poms what the brown and black snakes are please and why is one worse than the other ? And what was the "big carpet" ? that Ianoz ran over in his ute.

I put up a fallow deer today when I was walking along a railway line. Does that count ?
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:45 pm

[quote="Scooby

I put up a fallow deer today when I was walking along a railway line. Does that count ?[/b][/color][/quote]

I beg your pardon Scooby - I would have thought that counts for a Court summons, a long custodial sentance and public shame where we come from. :wink: :wink:

Cheers

Andy

mitch

Post by mitch » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:57 pm

Scooby Eastern Brown and Black snakes are venemous, Carpet Snakes (python) are constrictors that is they strangle. Brown snakes are highly venemous and aggressive, blacks are less so.

http://www.avru.org/general/general_eastbrown.html

Watch where you walk :shock:
non-Q 1975 1210 2wd
model# 1210/1 728931
engine# AD4/55A 26193

1975 1412 2wd
model# 1412/1 1050623
engine# 455011 120673

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:22 pm

mitch wrote:Scooby Eastern Brown and Black snakes are venemous, Carpet Snakes (python) are constrictors that is they strangle. Brown snakes are highly venemous and aggressive, blacks are less so.

http://www.avru.org/general/general_eastbrown.html

Watch where you walk :shock:
Thanks Mitch. We only have the adder as a venomous snake and it's quite shy. Only striking when trodden on or interfered with. They are not seen very often and the last fatal strike was on a child in 1975.

We also have a grass snake which is a larger snake (3ft is a big grass snake) and while it isn't venomous it can and will bite you. The grass snake can have vaguely similar markings to an adder and as soon as people see a grass snake for the first time they think it's an adder because of the marks on the back of the head.

I have seen a grass snake attempt to wrap itself round a frog like it was constricting it but it wasn't. We do not have any constrictors. Incidentally, that was the first time that I ever heard a frog scream. I didn't know they could do that until then.

I had a friend whose sheep dog was bitten by an adder and got it treated by a vet and although the dog's leg went black for a few days it got over it. I also met up with some Australians once who came over for our now defunct Royal Show and they had two farms in Oz and a dozen dogs and they reckoned to lose a dog every year through snake bite.

Image Image

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:28 pm

broadsword wrote:[quote="Scooby

I put up a fallow deer today when I was walking along a railway line. Does that count
I beg your pardon Scooby - I would have thought that counts for a Court summons, a long custodial sentance and public shame where we come from. :wink: :wink:
Cheers
Andy[/quote]

What was the crime your Honour ? Putting up the deer (not dear) or walking the railway track ?

Not guilty whatever the charge.

And anyway whatever I did was within myumanrights. I'm telling my MP about you, picking on me an' all.
Image Image

gregbathurst

Post by gregbathurst » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:22 pm

The other week while walking my fences I came up against a big brown snake sunning itself right in my path, and it didn't want to move. It was probably the biggest snake I have ever seen so I didn't argue the point but gave it a wide berth. The black snakes live near water and eat frogs, wherever you find frogs there will be black snake around. Garden ponds are not a good idea, we got rid of ours after a few scares. Browns prefer rodents so they often come round the house.They are bad tempered and extremely dangerous, responsible for a few deaths most years.
We only have venomous snakes here, either venomous or very venomous.

My wife gets very upset by the sound of frogs screaming because tree frogs come round our house at night and our cats go out and catch them, being cats they like to play with them and my wife finds the resulting noise very upsetting. Thankfully I am going a bit deaf these days and don't notice the noise, it must be very high pitched.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:55 pm

That's interesting Greg (hope that's your name) Incidentally all snakes are protected species in the U.K. i.e. you aren't allowed to kill them.

I used to have a spinster dairy farmer as a customer who never closed her DAVID BROWN TRACTORS ARE THE BEST. door but the grass snake wasn't very well protected when she came down one morning and found one curled up by the side of her Rayburn. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Image Image

gregbathurst

Post by gregbathurst » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:12 pm

Scooby wrote:

I used to have a spinster dairy farmer as a customer who never closed her DAVID BROWN TRACTORS ARE THE BEST. door but the grass snake wasn't very well protected when she came down one morning and found one curled up by the side of her Rayburn. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Yes a snake in the grass can be very dangerous also.

We have a firm rule here to keep doors closed. I don't mind nature but prefer it outside. Its bad enough having all sorts of wildlife in the swimming pool now and then.

Snakes are also protected by law in Australia but its a case "more in the breach than the observance" for that law.