Hydrashift

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

DB Gearbox's

Poll ended at Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:45 pm

Manual
27%
Hydra-shift
73%

Total votes: 11

joeproctor

hydra shift spelling

Post by joeproctor » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:41 am

martin,from a very young age,this expression was said,'people living in glass house shouldn't throw stones',brick houses stone houses but glass houses,i didn't understand,mayyou being the brighter man than myself will do.so try spelling'certinally'as in your last post.
please no further comments about 'SPELLINGS'
best regards
joe

DB780

Post by DB780 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:14 am

Case did not alter sprag bearings and clutch plates, that is what they did wrong. The hydrashift unit was designed for a 70hp 2wd tractor and in that machine it work exceptionally well. When they put it into higher hp 4wd machines without any significant upgrades the problems started.

R.Poff

Post by R.Poff » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:56 pm

Martin,
You have just opened up another door of debate. I am relatively new to DB, love my 885. It is a well put together piece of farm machinery. However, if you ever talk with a CASE person, they will swear to the fact that DB was cheap and the downfall of Case. To hear Dave owners talk, it was just the opposite way. I guess it is all in what you own and what your experience has been with that product. What I do know for sure is that the Case dealerships are starting to discontinue parts for DB! I am thinking about sending the case company correspondence and asking them to reconsider. Probably lot of good it will do.

Eric_T

Post by Eric_T » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:31 pm

I think that that is the unofficial line by Case, the David Brown Badge Disappered because the bodged up the launch of what could have been a massively sucsessful range, the 90 series. The new improved 90 series was launched, called the 94 series and DB lost its name on the bonnet.

However, i feel we need to look at the period of when the final DB's rolled off the line, the 70's and 80's, British manufacturing was a shambles, Leyland, Rover, International Harvester, etc etc, British Manufacturing could not make toast, let alone world class tractors like it had in the past.

Case, being american, had loads of money to pour into Research and Development, DB was a little corner of a huge company, Meltham Engineers did not enjoy the same luxury.

Another way thinking is that David Brown Tractors ended in 1972 when they were sold to Tenneco, although its then still DBT technology, the money was eventually ending up in the Tennaco purse.

If you argue that David Brown Tractors ended in 1972, fair enough, however, the engineers that worked for DBT were still producing tractors at Meltham, with DB on the bonnet, but nothing to do with Sir David Brown or the David Brown Corporation.

These engineers also designed a new tractor, designed to replace the 94 series, that range was what became the 5100 series Maxxum tractors, Therefore, one could surely argue that the engineers responcible for some really top class tractors to roll out of Meltham over the years are, at least in part, responcible for the Maxxum range, however, because production was moved from Yorkshire and Meltham Mills closed, it is not considered a DB.

Sorry if this rambles on, I hope that I am making sence here!

Eric

jonferson

Post by jonferson » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:22 pm

Case and many other dealers seem to be relising the error in discontiuning genuine parts and case as many other makers such as massey or running campaigns to launch what i think case call their heritage parts range but what effect this has i dont know. there seem to be many non genuine of second hand parts avail certainly for the 90/94 series no to familiar with the 885 bit before my time

R.Poff

Post by R.Poff » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:30 pm

885 is a smaller, mid40hp tractor. Great for light farm work. I haven't had the chance to plow with it yet, so I don't know its capabilities. I have heard that the engine in it was one of the best models. Certainly starts well and purrs right along, for 30 yrs old. I run a 5ft bush-hog, 6ft sickle bar, and old JD 14t bailer no problem. It will certainly pull more weight than it will hold back. Jonfer, are you in the UK or US? I am interested in this Heritage parts thing, haven't heard too much of it. It may just be for the preDB Cases. There is quite the following on this side of the ball for that era.

Martin

Post by Martin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:27 pm

Hello all, First of all I do not live in a glass house, secondly my spelling is poor but not when it comes to DBT, as a very, very keen David Brown fan I will never say anything wrong of the David Brown product nor give any false or incorrect information.
I was always told from being a small child " Its better to keep your mouth shut and appear an idiot, than open it and remove all doubt !" anyway back to DBT

The clutch plates in Hydra-Shift did get changed from solid plates to slotted plates which cracked at the bottom of the slots, this problem was supposidly corrected by drilling a hole at the bottom of the slots, this in turn was sorted again by going back to a solid clutch plate !
The sprag bearings were definately changed to a cheaper version and went straight to production without any field/factory testing hence the problems, sorry 880 but this is only what I have been told over the years.

Parts are becomeing worrying to say the least, our DB parts are required in fewer numbers most DBs not working as hard as the were or even just in collections. Some of us though are still useing DB's as much as ever ! my 3 6 cyls will run for at least the next 30 years even if I have to have parts made from scratch. Many non genuine parts sppliers like Sparex and Vapourmatic still help us far more than CNH. CaseIH seem to have priced parts so expensive that no one will buy them and then they can say no one wants anymore and make the parts NLA they are trying to woo some of us back onto the more simple parts via their Gold Value parts which can be accesed on www.case-ih.com but from what I have seen so far and I am not supprised ! the majority of parts are for the older IH tractors and the K part offering is an insult although more parts are promised this year.
I will once again leave it there and see what you all think

Martin

Post by Martin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:29 pm

Hello all, First of all I do not live in a glass house, secondly my spelling is poor but not when it comes to DBT, as a very, very keen David Brown fan I will never say anything wrong of the David Brown product nor give any false or incorrect information.
I was always told from being a small child " Its better to keep your mouth shut and appear an idiot, than open it and remove all doubt !" anyway back to DBT

The clutch plates in Hydra-Shift did get changed from solid plates to slotted plates which cracked at the bottom of the slots, this problem was supposidly corrected by drilling a hole at the bottom of the slots, this in turn was sorted again by going back to a solid clutch plate !
The sprag bearings were definately changed to a cheaper version and went straight to production without any field/factory testing hence the problems, sorry 880 but this is only what I have been told over the years.

Parts are becomeing worrying to say the least, our DB parts are required in fewer numbers most DBs not working as hard as the were or even just in collections. Some of us though are still useing DB's as much as ever ! my 3 6 cyls will run for at least the next 30 years even if I have to have parts made from scratch. Many non genuine parts sppliers like Sparex and Vapourmatic still help us far more than CNH. CaseIH seem to have priced parts so expensive that no one will buy them and then they can say no one wants anymore and make the parts NLA they are trying to woo some of us back onto the more simple parts via their Gold Value parts which can be accesed on www.case-ih.com but from what I have seen so far and I am not supprised ! the majority of parts are for the older IH tractors and the K part offering is an insult although more parts are promised this year.

Martin

Post by Martin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:29 pm

DB780

Post by DB780 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:30 am

These changes do not change the fact that a gearbox designed for a 70 hp was put into a 100+ tractor with no significant changes. It is not inferior parts that cause a 1694 4wd hydrashift box to fail it's the power going through it. In the early 80's when original DB parts were still in use 1490's were tearing boxes to pieces.

bmcgahan

Post by bmcgahan » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:45 am

got a chance to look at cases ih heritage parts and price lists. very few db parts on it. go tot their site and theres a pdf with all the parts.

R.Poff

Post by R.Poff » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:40 pm

A short while ago, I was in the market for DB steering parts. After much looking around, I found that I could get the parts cheaper from Canada, and even New Zealand and have them shipped for cheaper than over here. I know that a man will pay more when time is of the essence, but during the winter months, I don't mind the wait. I just hope that someone will come through and start supplying Db parts again. Those old 60-80 model year tractors are tough to beat. Dad keeps an old late 70s/early 80s Ford 6610. Just had it rebuilt 6 moths ago, spent about 4k, and it runs and starts like new. This is a farm tractor, used every day. I wish they would make'm like they used to, but I guess that is true with automobiles and women too. (No offense, any ladies who might be reading!)

jonferson

Post by jonferson » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:03 pm

Noticed somebody mentioned above something which I have been told before about the hydra-shift system that you have to start off in first gear ever time there seems to be two view points on this as some say is doesent matter what is the reasoning in starting off in first every time any one know

Eric_T

Post by Eric_T » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:36 pm

I am no expert, there are several people on this page who know more than me, however, I belive that starting off in any gear apart from 1st, especially under load causes excessive stresses in the system causing the clutch plates to slip.

Im sure someone will correct me if i am wrong,

I think that it does say in the operatrs manual to set off in first, Also, ex DB service men have often recoomended it, so there must be some truth in it!

Eric

Madders

Post by Madders » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:44 pm

Can't speak highly enough of the Hydrashift unit fitted to my old 1594.
Brilliant box, over engineered to a point but in loving hands and with the back-end oil out at regular intervals, it's fantastic.

The old girl would yak 14 tonnes of top soil up the Knowle in Meltham without any misbehaving, I don't think I'd be too confident of my clutch foot delivering the same slick shifting under those conditions when saddled up on a Synchro.

Still wake up sweating wondering why I sold her.
[.................................[/size] Image