Radiator leaking

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

eddiem

Radiator leaking

Post by eddiem » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi ,
i have a small leak in the radiator on my case ih 1494.
Its the big radiator out in front of tractor ( not heater radiator)

Could someone recommend a good make of rad weld to fix leak. I will try rad weld before i will get core replaced - its leaking from the core ,

Thanks for any help , Eddie

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:23 pm

Eddie - in the past I used Celit radiator cement - it comes in a small packet, you will probably need two - I had a Citroen ZX radiator which had a really serious leak(s!!) - it sealed it up and worked like a treat. - it can be difficult to get - look on e-bay - search for celit - and you can see the type of stuff

The other is Wynns radiator stop leak (in a bottle). The advantage with this is you cannot tell a vehicles had any in as its I think antifreeze based.

Cheers

Andy

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:48 pm

Barsleaks is very good. In a small plastic bottle.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

eddiem

Post by eddiem » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:44 pm

Thanks for the relpies lads - i will have a look on ebay for what ye suggested.

StrikerRogers

leaking rad

Post by StrikerRogers » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:38 pm

just to add to scooby,s post you did get bars leaks in a buscuit/bar form that you break into pieces and put into the rad but not sure if its still avaiable. Sean

towjoe

Post by towjoe » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:05 am

break a raw egg into it works as well as all the other high priced stuff

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:14 am

Raw egg is about as good as a tin of mustard powder which was another "get you home" repair. They never set really hard like Bar's Leaks.

http://www.barsproducts.com/C16_R6.htm
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

john1694

Post by john1694 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:51 pm

Raw eggs do work, in low-pressure systems, but they have the uncanny habit of blocking any gallery in an point of low-flow. Thus they do reduce the efficiency of radiators, and can throttle flow in the engine, resulting in local hot-spots later.
Raw eggs work by virtue of the albumen setting "hard" in lumps and hopefully ( usually ) a piece will find it's way to the point where water is escaping from the system. Rad-seals work by chemical reactions allied to the drop in pressure/temperature at a leak, and in time forming a temporary plug. In circulating around the system normally, they do not coagulate, and thus don't block important water-galleries.
Bar's Leaks is as good as it gets...