Cant dislodge steering wheel.

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Madders

RE: steering wheel removal,

Post by Madders » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:51 pm

where's my photo Joe????
[.................................[/size] Image

joeproctor

steering wheel removal

Post by joeproctor » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:53 pm

on a more serious note,make a puller to hook around the spokes in a circular pattern with a large nut and bolt with a point sharpened on the bolt,i have one that i made and all steering wheels surrender at the sight of this,
all advice of penetrating oils,mouse milk,cat milk etc dont waste time they only result in fraid tempers and bits flying off from the use of hammering will result in some sort of breakages,
ps,if you tried to take the milk of our cat,it will scratch your eyeballs out!

regards
joe

joeproctor

Re: RE: steering wheel removal,

Post by joeproctor » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:55 pm

Madders wrote:where's my photo Joe????
the photo's are on the way,its not very good weather and the roads are rough over the pennines tha nos!
regards
joe

Madders

RE: Re: RE: steering wheel removal,

Post by Madders » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:57 pm

reet! I'm getting far too giddy about this 1390 anyroad!!!!!
[.................................[/size] Image

johnh

Post by johnh » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:12 pm

Honestly, I soaked the thing in wd40 for days (though i'm sure there are better, milk based, products out there), I tightened up my makeshift puller, (though not as professional sounding as P.W.'s) and then replaced the steering wheel nut a few turns and then i whacked the living s**t out of the thing but to no avail.

trust me KiwiWill, if you've got a grinder and a bit of 6mm plate hanging around, maybe a foot long and 3 inches wide, cut a spanner slot in it to fit the steering shaft top nuts and back the top one off til she pops the wheel off. (I backed the second nut up just behind the first one for safety).

If it doesn't work, i'll have cat's milk in my tea for a week.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:23 pm

Cats milk is bitter tasting, pigeon milk is better! :wink:

johnh

Post by johnh » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:13 pm

what are you feeding your cats on?

pigeon milk's not bad on corn flakes though..

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:14 am

Don't have any cats, not that fond of them. But all this has nothing to do with removing a steering wheel! :wink:

johnh

Post by johnh » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31 am

me neither.

and you're right, cats are practically useless when it comes to steering wheel removal, a gorilla's what you want...

ttpilot

Post by ttpilot » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:22 pm

Good god boys wacking and smaking soaking etc plates etc buncha farmers ha ha One way no one trys is first get some coke a cola pour it in overnite soak it up in am put some transmission fluid the red stuff in it if you can get the nut off take it off get a new nut and first tighten it a tad it may break it free then take the nut off and pull it off . The coke will eat the rust and the tranny fluid is a penetrant Dont belive me put a rusty nail in a glass of coke and leave it for a day or so my two cents if that doesnt work take a co2 fire bottle and cool hell outta it she'll let go