Hydraulic Problems!

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

RichardCoaker

Hydraulic Problems!

Post by RichardCoaker » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:51 pm

Hi,

I'm having problems with my 1694, when the tractor is cold the hydraulics work fine, although it has the hick-ups, but as soon as the tractor warms up the hydraulics don't work unless you rev right up, the spools work fine and pressure is good. Awhile ago i replaced the seals on the dump valve and it was fine for acouple of hours, then back to his old tricks. So the other day, i replaced the dump valve with a second hand one of another tractor, when the tractor is cold it is more sensitive now, but when it is warm, the hydraulic arms will hardy go up with a cultivator or a rake on at full revs.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems or might know a solution!

Many Thanks
Rich
DB 780 Slowly being Restored
DB 1212 Q-Cab
DB 1394 4wd Syncro
DB 1594 4wd Hydra-Shift + Baas loader
DB 1694 Flying Magpie
Case ih 5140
Case ih mx110
McCormick mc115 + Quicke q40 loader

6 in a row, makes it go!

ALSO MR JULY!

raymondjtownend

pump

Post by raymondjtownend » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:09 pm

sounds like the pump needs changing or a bit thicker oil

amg

RE: pump

Post by amg » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:33 am

Richard, If it was the dump valve you replaced that caused the problem then stay in that area, try the original one back in. The seals are expensive and I am never sure which order they go in, but I usually put the hard white/yellow ring/sleeve at the end.The only way to test the internal (first) pump is at the assister ram port whilst in select and single pump. I am fitting a new pump to one of my 1694's TODAY, but I know for sure its pooped !

mburns

hydraulic pump

Post by mburns » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi Rich

Is the washable filter in the bottom of the back end clean as this will make it hick up as it can`t provide a constant flow of oil due to the blockage in the filter ?

Martin :D

Scooby

Re: hydraulic pump

Post by Scooby » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:29 pm

mburns wrote:Hi Rich

Is the washable filter in the bottom of the back end clean as this will make it hick up as it can`t provide a constant flow of oil due to the blockage in the filter ?

Martin :D
If that filter was blocked the hydraulics would work better when things were warm than when they were cold.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

mburns

hydraulic pump

Post by mburns » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:56 pm

Not always so scooby , as mine got worse when warm as there were bits in the bowl that seemed to suck onto the filter the more you used it , so when you first started it up the arms and loader would go nearly to the top in one go but as it got warmer they would jump in 1 second bursts as it wasn`t getting the oil flow to the pump .

This may not be the problem with this tractor here but thaught i should post it for others that may have the above problem with their tractor and not check the filter as a result of your comment

Thanks Martin :D

bonserdb

RE: hydraulic pump

Post by bonserdb » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:21 pm

if the oil is really bad it could be conjealing when warm.
proud owner of a beloved bonser90d, 880 selectamatic and 1490 2wd synchro, and the mighty 1594!

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:26 pm

I stand by what I wrote. If the (washable) filter is blocked it will allow more oil through once it gets warm. If there are extraneous articles in the filter pan that become attached to the filter once things get warm then that's another matter.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

Madders

Post by Madders » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:03 pm

liquids congeal as they cool and thin out when warm.
[.................................[/size] Image

jimc1390

Post by jimc1390 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:46 am

did not think dump valves or hold valves were any good in aonther tractor,ie they made to match each dimensions of the control chest they were intended for
db 990 selectamatic
case ih 1594 com ed
db 1390 gd90 loader

erkki

Post by erkki » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:32 pm

If the arms are hickupping also when cold there is a leak, which can be the piston seal, leaking hold-release valve, which may be due to leaking spool valve or, in extreme case a leaking pipe or pipe connection between the valve chest and ram.

Is the dump valve of your tractor on the top of the cover on the rhs of the seat? In some later models its on the rhs of the seat, close to where three way valve used to be in eldery models. If it leaks, the arms will hickup for sure.

If the spools work fine and give good pressure independent of temperature of the oil the pump is ok.

I would start by putting new seal to the piston. Then caheck that the pump is not constantly pressurized. If its putting full pressure to the overpressure valve constantly, it will heat up transimission oil, and the pump and wear the pump out quickly. When oil is hot and pump is hot it looses also a great deal of pressure.

The differences between lift valve and hold valve plungers between two tractors are not extreme critical, its important that they slide freely in the bores. If they are any sticky, there can be many kinds of trouble.
If the hold valve is too slim to the bore, it will cause just some hickup.
If the lift valve is too slim to the bore you will hardly see any difference unless its very badly too slim.

Good luck

RichardCoaker

Post by RichardCoaker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:48 pm

Thanks for your advise guy's, it will be a great help!

Rich
DB 780 Slowly being Restored
DB 1212 Q-Cab
DB 1394 4wd Syncro
DB 1594 4wd Hydra-Shift + Baas loader
DB 1694 Flying Magpie
Case ih 5140
Case ih mx110
McCormick mc115 + Quicke q40 loader

6 in a row, makes it go!

ALSO MR JULY!