Alternative Replacement Service Parts.

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Loz

Re: Alternative Replacement Service Parts.

Post by Loz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:46 pm

campbelltonberry wrote:Constant Velocity rubber replacement boots will fit for gearshift boots. The ones I used were new for an Austin Mini....may not be available now! Also have replaced Dynamos with new Delco alternators. The brackets needed remaking and the original voltage regulator scrapped, of course. The tractor seats have been replaced with assemblies from "Princess Auto" -common store in Canada. Does anyone know of a tidy way to replace that stack of hydraulic valves? I have 3 remotes on my tractors- two 880s and a DB1212 and DB1200. Ergonomics is not David Browns strong point...design philosophy seemed to be let the operator adapt his body to the machine. Pretty common attitude at the time and Db was probably more advanced than most with 3pt hitch and TCU.

Agree with you here on ergonomics, but also agree it was advanced for its design date, better still on the gearshift gaiter / CV joint boots, i applied "universal" boots, bought cheaply from NZ motor factors, which are stepped in design, to be cut down if required, worked well on my 1212 :-)

Paul Jones

Re:

Post by Paul Jones » Thu May 04, 2017 11:58 pm

Guest wrote:
Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:05 pm
Well Bernie, seems like they have taken notice of people complaining about them and have now got these lamps right. As for the legal requirement, A O K. That may inspire me to submit an FAQ topic, 'tractor lighting reqirements under the Law', not so much as what tractors should have in the way of lighting but more of requirements on age of tractor which are a lot different than on cars.

That's right. It has been taken cared of.

Paul Jones
http://www.stlouiscitytowing.com/

cossyrec

Post by cossyrec » Wed May 17, 2017 10:36 pm

Just started doing a bit to my 885 looked on net for some rear axle oil seals. On net these where priced from £6 to £10 each ish. Called at local bearing stockist George Lodge Hull four for £12.00. Also priced on net hydraulic filter at Mayhill £13 with gasket. Called at local Farmstar got one no gasket never asked price. Ended up paying £34+vat. Win some lose some

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Wed May 31, 2017 7:34 am

I've found a replacement side mount fuel sender for my 885. I don't know if any other models used this type. The Smiths number on my old unit is TBS1514/006. The one I've used is TBS1514/003 and is listed for Triumph Herald cars. I haven't yet found anyone who can tell me the significance of the numbers, but the only difference I can see is the float arm is a bit shorter and a slightly different shape. I've bent and extended it by soldering the old arm on. The gauge reads a little under full with the float right up, but the low end of the scale seems pretty accurate. I bought it on ebay UK from lotsofclassicbits.

PS: I will amend that by saying it reads uniformly low by about 1/8. What I meant by accurate was when it says E its a good time to refuel so I'm satisfied.

bushwhackerbill

Post by bushwhackerbill » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:47 pm

Post by DB770.DB880 » %b %10, %2011 - %0
"Did you buy your DB from Shaw farm supply? you can buy the screw in type bulb from Canadian Tire, the ones used in the Selectamatic will not fit the Implematic,
Sparex Canada (CEFS) carry the temperature gauge it's part #S.57858 and it comes c/w sender list price app $50.00 + Tax & Shipping.
Hope this helps you"

I ordered a temperature gauge and sending unit from Elmer Landman. Did that a year or so ago, just tried to install it today. The old gauge had a electrical wire connection from the sending unit. The one he supplied, (Sparex part #S4341) has a coiled wire sheath on the connecting cable and I expect is the capillary type you speak of. The sending unit has a larger thread than the original and will not fit. The old unit has a measurement across the centre of the tapered thread of about .625" while the new one is around .850. The part number of the original DB gauge and sender was shown on page 53 of the parts catalogue I have as U438 (908031). Is there a Sparex part to replace this? I am pretty sure the problem is in the gauge, as the needle flops freely back and forth when I roll it in my hand.
Bill

880Aubrey

Post by 880Aubrey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:07 pm

I have the rear/side mount fuel sending units for the 880A and some other Selectamatics . Replaces factory part#K916635
(Gaskets also available) Can also make them to work with aftermarket gauges.
PM me for more info.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:18 pm

Hi anyone have information on replacement turbochargers that fit to replace the Holset ones on 1690t , holset appears to go to Cummins turbos but cant get a x reference but look to be similar fitting, i think the Holset can be rebuilt but not much information on that, they are pretty reliable but someone must have experienced replacement.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:10 pm

Have checked the Holset catalog list and two turbos are listed for Case and Case / David Brown under H1A that relates to 1690t a service kit is listed for both 3545650 interesting that Holset and David Brown were both at Huddersfield and Holset/Cummins still are, probably relates to DB using their turbos when they fitted turbos, anyone have more information on the turbos replacement ones ect .

jazo

Post by jazo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:52 am

Still a lot of db tractors were supplied with shwitzer turbos aswell.
1394 4wd
1294 4wd
30D
990x2
780x2

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:19 am

Hi jazo yes Shwitzer were fitted on the 4 cylinder tractors but the 6 cyl had Holset, had a Shwitzer on my 1494 till it failed it emptyed the oil in one round of a paddock, nothing on the dipstick, i tock it off and have run the 1494 without ever since. I think Shwitzer are now also associated with Cummins and therefore Holset as well.