Alternative Replacement Service Parts.

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER - Please be aware that any views expressed or advice given on the Forum are purely the opinion of the relevant poster. The David Brown Tractor Club Ltd does not endorse any of the views expressed, or advice thus given. Forum Visitors should be aware that any action they may take as a result of such information is taken at their own risk.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Alternative Replacement Service Parts.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:44 pm

Thought that this subject may be of use for members to post up modern alternatives to the original. I will start off.

On early Selectamatic tractors there is a filter housing on the top of the rear axle behind the 3-way taps. These were discontinued on the later models but if you are looking for a filter, look for a Crossland 505 or AC 21.

For the spring wires that the front grille fasteners turn and latch into and the bonnet radiator flap, (Selectamatic) soft-top Triumph Spitfire hood fasteners use the same part. From the Triumph owners Club.

For the Implematic type grille louvre clips, the ones in the nose-cone, John Deere 20 series tractors have the same clips to secure the engine side panels. Available from JD dealers.

The plastic sheaths with a lip that go over the spires on the back of the gold top grille louvre to hold it in the nose-cone are the same as what is used to secure older chrome script badges on cars, there are several different sizes. Available from motor trim suppliers.

Madders

Post by Madders » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:08 pm

nice work Mr Rabbit, this is the kind of post I want to see more of on the forum...very helpful. :D
[.................................[/size] Image

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:25 pm

Another. Ploughing lamp switch. Same switches as used on Hotline electric fencer units and their hand-lamps, the rubber covers come with them as well. only diference is that the wire connectors are solder on type instead of the original 'eye and screw' but you won't see that in the lamp housing.

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:24 pm

To renew the rubber ring on the tacho or as I call it, the hour counter where it cushions against the dash panel, use a diesel filter ring.

Inside door handles, the stick-up tube bit, on 'high' cab doors have a rubber on them, or they should have. Replace with rubber walking stick ends with the same internal size as the hande. Available in a lot of hardware shops.

VAK, Cropmaster, 25 & 30 series tractors. On the rear edge of the nose-cone each side where the front edge of the side panels cover, originally there was a strip of 1/2 inch wide webbing riveted down the full length. This webbing strip is still obtainable from motor trimmers as it was used on the old cars with the side folding bonnets. Available by the metre and is treated with what smells like a weak solution of creosote to prevent it rotting. The copper 'bicufrated' rivets are still available from the same source as well, in various sizes, also used to secure the back edge strip on the bonnet of these tractors and all the later ones up to Q cab as well. If you are wondering what these rivets look like, smaller in physical size but like the brass mushroom-headed split tail paperclips you see in stationers.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:53 am

Apollogies if I seem to be 'over posting' but little individual posts on this topic I think are better than one great long post and keeps things going. Anyway,.

To replace the control cord on tractors that are fitted with a radiator blind, lawnmower engine pull cord is the thing to use. From your garden machinery dealer/stockist.

Madders

Post by Madders » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:38 pm

No Tim,
you keep it coming, this is my favourite post this year, I'm a right knackler!!!! :D

JV

Re: Alternative Replacement Service Parts.

Post by JV » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:12 pm

Powerrabbit wrote:
On early Selectamatic tractors there is a filter housing on the top of the rear axle behind the 3-way taps. These were discontinued on the later models but if you are looking for a filter, look for a Crossland 505 or AC 21.
Also known as an engine oil filter for a Ford 105E Anglia (and 109E Classic/Classic Capri)...

This thread is a good idea. I'll try to find some of the paperwork for seals and other gubbins that I've replaced and post them here (ie standard seal codes - available from a good bearing factor). I know I've done the PTO seal on the 780, but I can't remember what else I've done offhand...

Cheers, JV.
'67 David Brown 780 (SN: 600403, c/w DB L-7 loader)
'68 JCB 3CII
'72 Bolens 1254
'74 IH 475

simont

Post by simont » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:27 am

A cab heater fan switch for a 90 series can be replaced with one from a Volvo 240 it has the same wiring config and fits straight in the hole with no mods
case 1594 hydra 1985
DB 1290 manual 1982 Image

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:24 pm

The push--and-twist bulb holders in the light pods on the flat-top mudguards are the same fitting as those from the rear light clusters on old Morris Marina cars and others with the same fittings. These bulb holders are better than the original as they have the wider brass connector spades on them whereas the D.B original Butler type had thinner steel spades that inevitably rusted off.

The reflectors that fit to the little brackets on the mudguards on cabbed D.B tractors, the ones that have a metal back with a threaded spire and small nut are Lucas and are the same as was fitted to 90 and Defender Land Rovers. Still available from LR parts stockists.

Bernie990

Post by Bernie990 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:01 am

Sparex parts S.3228 and S.3229 are forward facing equivalents of square mudguarded selectomatic rear lights S.3226 and S.3227. The later are listed as fitting DB and NH but the former only as suitable for Fiats.

Presumably Sparex are missing some sales.

Bernie.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:04 pm

Bernie990. You have to be carefull with these Sparex lights as some of the 'rear' ones only have side and indicator lamps and no brake lamp and the other rear type have side and brake but no indicator lamps.

Bernie990

Post by Bernie990 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:05 pm

Tim,

S.3226/7 have tail, stop & indicator, S3228/9 have side (white lens) & indicator. Not sure what legal requirements are but that good enough for me.

http://www2.gb.sparex.com/Sparex.aspx?P ... umber=3227
http://www2.gb.sparex.com/Sparex.aspx?P ... umber=3228

Bernie.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:05 pm

Well Bernie, seems like they have taken notice of people complaining about them and have now got these lamps right. As for the legal requirement, A O K. That may inspire me to submit an FAQ topic, 'tractor lighting reqirements under the Law', not so much as what tractors should have in the way of lighting but more of requirements on age of tractor which are a lot different than on cars.

Madders

Post by Madders » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:01 am

Admin. can we put this thread somewhere at the top to keep it alive and growing. I think it's rather good!!

Thanks

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:41 pm

It's getting a little more difficult to come up with alternative replacement parts for D.B tractors now as they were in the main geneticly, if thats the right word, unique. David Brown as we all know manufactured the majority of the sum total of parts in their own factories and it was not untill later years that they 'farmed out' certain manufacturing of parts to other companies and this is why the word 'alternative' stumbles a little as a lot of these other companies have either fallen by the wayside, been taken over by others or amalgamated and since the demise of the D.B. factory itself, the manufacture of what may be termed as 'genuine' parts has gone the same way. Parts that may be deemed as genuine still being manufactured are predominately common across other makes of tractor of the period such as electrical equipment, certain gagues and a few other bits and bobs but nowadays lacks the exactness of the quirky slight differences that made the D.B parts unique.
I was in conversation a while ago with a person who brought up the subject of originality. He said that there is no vintage, classic or modern classic that is 100% original as over the years parts have been changed and non original and factor parts have been used either in repair, maintenance or restoration of tractors, so if you ran a competition to find the most original tractor you probably would never do it. My side of the argument was that all older tractors were used to earn a living and parts wore and had to be replaced so this would mean that any part being replaced would void the tractor as non original which, to me, is rubbish. I said that any tractor, restored or no, could be deemed as original as long as parts used were the correct replacements and manufactured for the purpose by the original manufacturer or their successors. I went on to inform this gentleman that if a competition were to be run on originality that I reckon that my 1968 780 would come very near or at the top in this as although parts have been replaced, all replacements have been 100% genuine D.B parts, in fact I told him that my 780 had one carefull owner from new, has done 12,227 hours and has had nothing major ever replaced, all engine parts, ancillaries, tinwork etc was totally untouched from new, it is even still on its original clutch. So I challenged him to run a competition.

Sorry if this post has been a bit boreing but I think it is very relevent to the subject. Any one else have comments?