6 Cylinder Engines

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Rate the 6 Cylinder David Brown / Case / Case IH tractors

Best in its Field
60%
On par with others
20%
Behind others
20%

Total votes: 15

Madders

RE: Re: 6 cyl

Post by Madders » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:18 am

A touch of paranoia seems to be creeping in.
I refer you to the case in the high court 2 weeks ago ref: defamation through a discussion forum. The potential for damages through litigation are all too apparent, so as a member of this club and the commitee I simply feel it is my responsibility to make fellow members aware of this potential before things get out of hand.
The DBTC does not need adverse publicity, nor do we need to be swearing at each other over light hearted 'poll' questions.

If we all play like good little boys and act our age we have no problem do we Gents.

Regards
Madders.
07751 673600
[.................................[/size] Image

Scooby

RE: Re: 6 cyl

Post by Scooby » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:39 am

I started to reply to each of my critics individually but thought after having done two I should make a completely new post with a few valid points.

1. I did not "threaten" anybody.
2. I did not "personally abuse" anybody.
3. I do not know if I attempted to "foist" anything on to anybody, I haven't got a clue what this means. If the originator of that word means that I tried to convince someone that their views were mistaken then I'm guilty as charged.
4. I have just expressed my views gleaned from personal experiences with DBs (and other marques), not by just listening to what other people may or may not have said.
5. I fully intended to make just the one post and leave it at that - however the situation demands a continuing appraisal.
6. Judging by my PM & emails there are quite a few others who feel the same way as I do over the course of this topic.
7. If any "victim" feels sufficiently aggrieved enough with my comments to want "to take action" please PM or email me and I will supply my contact details. Anyone so doing will need to elaborate on their grievance in the unlikely event (see the post immediately above this one) that I have to answer for my comments in a Court of Law.
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

yorkshirerose

Post by yorkshirerose » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:27 pm

Just a couple of comments following Joe's "request".
The final drives were a bit of a limitation. I seem to remember that the 9/59 ratio was particularly suspect - but don't quote me - my memory is not what it was.
Regarding the engine - it was pretty reliable, but fuelled up to the 1690 spec it was struggling to breathe. In high temperatures or high altitude/low atmospheric pressure it couldn't get enough air to burn the fuel going in. However, with the turbo on and it became a different beast.

jburrow

Post by jburrow » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:37 pm

I think you have summed the six cylinder debate up quite early. Yes, they wern't the best in the world having hydra shift and reduction problems, however the 90 and 94 series were extremely good looking tractors which still give me a certain satisfaction to work in the field. Afterall, thats why i work db's because i like them, and with that i am prepared to accept the odd niggle or two, its part of the package.
John Burrow

DB885 Q Cab + Loader
DB995 Q Cab
DB1410 Q Cab
CIH 895 Stockman
CIH CX100 + MX100 Loader

jonferson

Post by jonferson » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:34 pm

as some of you know I bough a six cylinder last year a 1594 with hydrashift problems which i had repaired and since then have so far found this tractor a pleasure to drive and seem to opt fot the 15 over my 14 when it comes to feild work you cant beat the purr of a six cylinder engine and the visibilty seems to be much better than on the four cylinders. However the 15 seems slower on the road than my 14 but you got to love the extra power.

The 94 series in general seems to be in advance of any Massey, Ford, or John D**re of the time and even some of the later ones the DB's seem so much more versatile and manouvrable than the compartive other makes

My 2 cents Jon

Anne

Post by Anne » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:19 pm

I believe the 1594 - 1690/94 tractor's shouldn't have been made by DB. I admit, they are impressive tractors, with the most thougest sound a 6 cilinder can produce.
But. I've bought a 1690, 2 years ago, mentioned with only a bad rod bearing. It ends with a total revision of the engine, the crank was totally worned an trashed. The crank is done by a garage, who said that the material of the crank (cast iron) was very soft and weak.
Also the oil pump of the engine, is not worth the name oil pump. The tractor had made 3200 hours, and the pump was totally worn out! Also, the oil capacity off the sudden pump, is lower then 4 cilinder engines! I guess DB should have invested some more hours in research & development by designing the 6 cilinder.

It is my (coloured) expirience, and don't get me wrong, I'm still a great fan of the 90/94 series.
-DBTC member-
1969 DB 780 Selectamatic -
1981 DB 1190 Cab -
1985 Case IH 1494 Hydrashift 4wd -
1988 Case IH 1394 Synchro 4wd Comm. Edition -
2011 Case IH 1494 Tractorpulling Edition 250 HP!
1985 Case IH 2294 4wd 160hp