6 Cylinder Engines

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Rate the 6 Cylinder David Brown / Case / Case IH tractors

Best in its Field
60%
On par with others
20%
Behind others
20%

Total votes: 15

Eric_T

6 Cylinder Engines

Post by Eric_T » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:35 am

Hello,

As some of you know, Eric T has a soft spot for the Tractors with 6 Cylinders that left Meltham.

Some of you, i know, are not fans of these engines, or the tractors that they powered.

So, lets get a debate going here, were 6 Cylinders any good? Were the 1690's and large 94's the pride of Meltham, or did they just fade away, out numbered and out classed by other, different colour tractors?

Share your oppinions on the biggest tractors to carry the DB name, either on the bonnet or the engine block!

My opinion of them is...

Very good tractor, possibly not as good as its competitirs but this did not make it a bad tractor!

A 1690 4WD definately looks the part, even 25 years on!

What do you think?

Eric

joeproctor

6 cylinder engined browns

Post by joeproctor » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:51 pm

hello eric,
judging by the reponse i bet that 99% of forum readers are thinking like me ,hang back see what the others say,well heres my two penny worth,
1, the styling of the 90 and 94 's even 20or more years on they still look as good if not better than the competition.
2,the smaller hp.range are still good in most ways
3, sorry i cant say that the 6 cylinder big hp. models were good i get amongst the bigger farmers that bought these tractors to be their main workhorse only to find that they could do the job easily but could not stand the pace for long they suffered from those notorious reduction hubs,the engine oil pump,the hydraulic pumps and drive shafts ,the hydra-shift all good and great when working satisfactory but alas not for even the warranty period, sorry best advice unless your in love and a good mechanic with lots of spare time ,is stay well clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 a good point is far in front of the competition with the pto staft work
sorry but they get the thumbs down from me
regards
joe

Scooby

Re: 6 cylinder engined browns

Post by Scooby » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:38 pm

joeproctor wrote:hello eric,
judging by the reponse i bet that 99% of forum readers are thinking like me ,hang back see what the others say,well heres my two penny worth,
1, the styling of the 90 and 94 's even 20or more years on they still look as good if not better than the competition.
2,the smaller hp.range are still good in most ways
3, sorry i cant say that the 6 cylinder big hp. models were good i get amongst the bigger farmers that bought these tractors to be their main workhorse only to find that they could do the job easily but could not stand the pace for long they suffered from those notorious reduction hubs, nothing's perfect, have you operated MFs ? get a load of their reduction problems the engine oil pump, change it the hydraulic pumps and drive shafts , everything wears out sometime and at least you can get at it easily the hydra-shift all good and great when working satisfactory but alas not for even the warranty period, don't abuse it, drive it properly, not like a pratt sorry best advice unless your in love and a good mechanic with lots of spare time ,is stay well clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ************ 4 a good point is far in front of the competition with the pto staft work
sorry but they get the thumbs down from me
regards
joe
Well go join another site then. I started my business life with DB & I ain't done so bad
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

Eric_T

Post by Eric_T » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:44 pm

Steady lads!!

No need to start a fight!!

Looks to me that opinion is split here, however, the 6 cylinder obviously still has some fans!!

Any other opinions?

Eric

Madders

Post by Madders » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:27 pm

Had a lovely 1594. c plate 4wd. Hydrashift rebuilt due to previous owner in Cheshire being from the one jug fits all school of oil management and cement mixing...

Couldn't make that old girl squeal, even with 15 tonnes of grass on her back, she'd snort up the Knowle in Meltham and not even think about any gear change misses.
Mr Marsh at Sovereign Ag. rebuilt her and said to keep her that way there are simple steps... oil..filters and adjustment.

The oil pump was a mare but the modification made for a happy tractor.

20 years old last year and the air-con still wanted to play.

Dis the 6 pot you know not of what you speak...

Buy a Kubota and make yourself moist.

Cheers
[.................................[/size] Image

ttpilot

6 cyl engines

Post by ttpilot » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:44 pm

I'd say you might have peed in scooby's corn flakes Joe . He's taking your comments quite personal !!!!! :lol: It's a shame that an opinion asked has to be reduced to a personal attack or some one told to go elsewhere grow up the man gave his opinion just because you disagree doesn't mean he's attacking the name or anything else . I think an apology is in order!
Last edited by ttpilot on Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin

Post by Martin » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:54 pm

Thanks scooby for your wise words. I have 4 examples of 6 cyl, 3 different versions, 1690, 1594 (de-rated version) 1694 (turbo). They are great and I use them regularly within my agricultural contracting buisiness, I would rather be on them than my more modern JD, but alas sometimes speed and hp rule the day.
The engine performes better than any competitor tractor as an alrounder and like all DB engines are very fuel efficient, any oil or coolant leaks can all be solved. If the original DB designers/engineers like Ashfield and Hull had not retired before full 6 cyl production then I am sure some of the problems would never have arrisen eg. engine oil pump failures. My DB's live on and will give me another 20 odd years service without any problem.
People who slag the DB product who dont know what they are talking about should keep quiet.

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:35 pm

martin,
are you admitting that there are problems with the big tractors?regards
joe

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:11 pm

scooby,
sorry to hurt your feelings but read this discussion that i had with a farmer who had a large fleet of db's,
joe say s,i see you have some old david brown equipment,yes the farmer replied,there all in good fettle arn't they,yes he replied ,have you got any db tractors,{all i could see were blue ones) i asked,my great grandfather started farming here just before the war ,he bought two vak1's in 1942 cropmasters 25's 30's 900's 850's 950's 990's afull range of selectamatics all these came in pairs he pointed out 1200's 1410's then disaster struck we puchased a fleet of 1694's ,how many four they came on two lorrys we also had 2 x 780's on cyclones 2x990 chafor sprayors
but the 1694's were the last straw , all hydrashift's the first 6 months 1 set of reductions changed,second the hydraulic pipe underneath bust dropping all the oil and ploughing it in un-noticed it would not lift the plough at the headland,new tandem pump and drive coupling fitted -three times in two years! the third had a hydrashift repair with less than 1200 hours on the clock, he went on to state that brown's washed their hands on these tractors when these tractors left the premises they all had worn out reductions he said you could push the tractor at the top of the wheel and they rocked all over,martin did you once state that the reductions were a bad idea?
the farmer was disgusted with browns and the big 6's that he emptied the yards(two farms)of all david brown tractor and replaced them with blue ones he said 8 tractors went 8 new ones replaced them ,
this is just one tale that i have been told so many times ,if maintenance is to be blamed then it wasn't on this farm the workshop had every thing and the tackle was mint,so was it that these were built on 'friday afernoon or monday morning'.
this is how i determine my opinion scooby you may disagree but i do note that you have not made a comment on my 'good points ' can i take it that you agree with those aspects
no need to swear at me if you dont like the comments that i have made maybe you should look for another site try belarus!!!!!
all my love
joe
ps dont have nightmares!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric_T

Post by Eric_T » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:02 am

Martin,

People who slag the DB's should NOT keep quiet, they should give their opinions as do others.

As much as we all love tractors with a pair of roses on them, not all were perfect, it would be madness to expect a relatively small company such as DBT to get it right every time, the budgets involved could not stretch to that of Ford, JD, MF... whoever!

I posted this question to get a some conversation going as to whether or not the 6 Cylinder were any good, as i said before, i belive they are good, but not as good as others (this does not detract from my enthusiasm for them, I am very jealous of your fleet of 6 Cylinders!)

However, there are people out there who have had bad expereinces with these tractors, and personally i have to say good on them for having the balls to voice their opinion about them, even if it mean that they are honest enough not to paint them in such a good light as we would like.

Regards

Eric

ttpilot

Post by ttpilot » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:41 am

HATS OFF TO JOE AND ERIC !!!! Very well put gentlemen it is obvious to many of us that your valued opinions are note worthy ! Any honest straight forward critique of any piece of equipment in my experience has always been based on ones experience . Any club or orginazation that does not note pros and cons is detrmined to fail !people who try to silence free speech with vain threats because of a difference of opinion or choice should not be tolerated what so ever and a quicker way to ruin ones credability i can't think of . It is quite apparent that others should consider the formation of an I love DB Tractor ONLY!!!!! site where the sun shines daily and no repair or equipment problems exist . I wonder if Joe could be so kind as to see if the Zetor site might want to host the new improved positive comments DB site . As for me i think i'll stay here suck up all the info i can and live in the real world as ever Doug

Madders

6 cyl

Post by Madders » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:26 am

Looking at the drivel some of you lads throw at each other reminds me of being at infants school.

I've had this 6 cyl debate with Joe face to face and I could have gripped him couldn't I, but keeping a perspective is easy for anyone with an IQ above 4.

A discussion forum is just that. not a place to foist your opinions on others, if you like something then fine, if you don't then also fine.

This site is no place for personal grudges and the like, at least now any personal insults etc are easily traced should the victim wish to take action.

Please bear this in mind lads.

regards
Madders.

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:31 am

i would like to ask opinions from two members of this forum to see what their opinions are 'db780 'and 'yorkshire rose' would you like to add your comments please.
regards
joe

Scooby

Re: 6 cylinder engined browns

Post by Scooby » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:56 am

joeproctor wrote:scooby,
sorry to hurt your feelings but read this discussion that i had with a farmer who had a large fleet of db's,
*************************** this is how i determine my opinion scooby you may disagree but i do note that you have not made a comment on my 'good points ' can i take it that you agree with those aspects Yes
no need to swear at me I didn't swear at you, I expressed an informed opinion on your views. My views are from ownership and use of DBs for 39yrs in contracting and farming, not from someone else's experiences. if you dont like the comments that i have made maybe you should look for another site try belarus!!!!! If I wanted to look for "another site" I would look at the two that I have designed and implemented.

all my love That's a strange thing to write.
joe
ps dont have nightmares!!!!!!!!!!!! Now why would I have nightmares ?
ImageImage

Scooby

Re: 6 cyl

Post by Scooby » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:09 am

Madders wrote:Looking at the drivel some of you lads throw at each other reminds me of being at infants school.

I've had this 6 cyl debate with Joe face to face and I could have gripped him couldn't I, but keeping a perspective is easy for anyone with an IQ above 4.

A discussion forum is just that. not a place to foist your opinions on others, if you like something then fine, if you don't then also fine. That's exactly what is happening here, we're having a virtual discussion. Nobody's trying to "foist" anything on anybody.

This site is no place for personal grudges and the like, nothing "personal" has been written by anyone so far, why are you intimating that it has ? at least now any personal insults etc are easily traced should the victim wish to take action. Now that is, in my view, dangerously near a threat.

Please bear this in mind lads.

regards
Madders.
ImageImage