1594 engine oil pump

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

regfwilson

1594 engine oil pump

Post by regfwilson » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:27 pm

Hi, I have read several old posts about fitting a new engine oil pump on 6 cylinder tractors. My 1594 is coming up to 3500 hrs now and I think I should be having a look at it. Can the pump be removed after taking off the sump cover?

Anne

Post by Anne » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:34 pm

Yes it can, but it is a pain in the @ss job. Little space to work, and you first have to remove the metal plates which lock the 4 bolts of the oilpump.
When you have a 4wd, you first need to remove the drive axle under the sump, and remove the litle square filter under the sump before you can remove the sump itselfs. Otherwise you wil damage the oil intake wich the filter is placed on.
-DBTC member-
1969 DB 780 Selectamatic -
1981 DB 1190 Cab -
1985 Case IH 1494 Hydrashift 4wd -
1988 Case IH 1394 Synchro 4wd Comm. Edition -
2011 Case IH 1494 Tractorpulling Edition 250 HP!
1985 Case IH 2294 4wd 160hp

regfwilson

Post by regfwilson » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanks for your response, Anne. Does the little filter slot into the sump somehow?

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:25 pm

How old is your 1594 ?

The later tractors had a better pump I think. However I have a Comm. 1594 and I still changed the pump. Better safe than sorry.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:39 pm

The oil pump strainer (filter) is behind a small square plate on the vertical face fairly close to the RH drain plug and is held in place by two small headed bolts.
The oil pumps were not rectified untill after production ceased. The rotors are now made from steel instead of a cast material and all the machineing was re-aligned to allow the 6 cyl oil pump to be made.
All original 6 cyl oil pumps can fail.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:43 pm

Hello Martin, hope you are well. I stand corrected then. I thought that they had changed the pumps towards the end. I wouldn't mess about with any 6 cylinder though. I would still change the pump.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

JCB DRIVER

Post by JCB DRIVER » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:24 pm

I knew of a handfull of 6 cylinder Browns in my locality, which all 'died' due to oil pump failure, its a shame because they all could have been saved if the owners paid a little more attention to servicing, consiquently they where traded in at dealers for modern Massey Ferguson & John Deere equivelents.

DB780

Post by DB780 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:11 am

The service bullitine informing dealers of the change from cast iron to steel rotors was dated Feb 1989. It also notes that all existing stocks of cast iron rotors will be used.

regfwilson

Post by regfwilson » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:48 am

Scooby wrote:How old is your 1594 ?

The later tractors had a better pump I think. However I have a Comm. 1594 and I still changed the pump. Better safe than sorry.
It was bought in September 84 and so by all your info it will have cast iron rotors. I had better get them changed.

Martin my tractor has only one drain plug, why do some have two?

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:33 pm

Thanks for that confirmation DB780. But can anyone beleive a manufacturer continueing to sell duff cast iron rotors !!!! even when they knew they were no good. If Mr Ashfield and Mr Hull had still been there the rotors would have been made from steel in the first place just like all the other engine oil pumps made at Meltham. This was another example of the Case cost cutting excercise. oh yes it was case IH perhaps even IH not sure ! The Meltham plant was no longer making tractors thanks to cunning nasty taktics such as 'Meltham Conquest' and the reduction of the Meltham model line up. But now perhaps another plan was implemented to try and kill some more DB 6 cyl engines ? just a thaught ......or might I be bias.

DB780

Post by DB780 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:41 pm

reg, how did you get on with doing the oil pump? I tried to do one on a 1590 and decided it was not possible without lifting the engine. The main problem was that I could not knock back the tabwashers on the two front bolts so could not undo them. Another problem was undoing the oil pipe into the block, I was going to cut it and join it back together but because of the other problem I did not. I will split the tractor and lift the engine next week.

JimCochrane

Post by JimCochrane » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:18 am

Make up some special modified spanner s to get the oil pipe undone and a modified screwdriver chisel to get at the tabwashers. It worked fine for me getting at mine on the 1690. local dealer said they had never lifted an engine to take out an oil pump.

6-POT-PHIL
Location: Huddersfield, W Yorks. (Home of David Brown Tractors)

Post by 6-POT-PHIL » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:31 pm

DB780 wrote:reg, how did you get on with doing the oil pump? I tried to do one on a 1590 and decided it was not possible without lifting the engine. The main problem was that I could not knock back the tabwashers on the two front bolts so could not undo them. Another problem was undoing the oil pipe into the block, I was going to cut it and join it back together but because of the other problem I did not. I will split the tractor and lift the engine next week.
Hi DB780, I removed my oil pump without lifting engine. Best tools for getting oil pipes off are crowfoot spanners. (full set can be bought on ebay for around a tenner) As for the tabwashers bend an old screwdriver. Its a sod of a job but if you have a plenty of patience it can be done.

Phil

DB780

Post by DB780 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:58 pm

Thanks for that info Phil, I will give it another go next week.