David Brown 950 clutch problem

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

Please note the Forum Site is not managed by David Brown Tractor Club Ltd only hosted

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email callysmith95@outlook,com giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderator: admin

skyrydr2

Re: David Brown 950 clutch problem

Post by skyrydr2 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:28 am

If your mechanically inclined then you should be able to fix your injection pump yourself! It is just a bunch of pieces bolted together not overly difficult to repair. Only thing you need is lots of light and a SUPER CLEAN AREA TO WORK ON IT!
But that's another day, first make sure you have fuel through the filters and at the bleed screw on pump body!
Never use starting fluid on a dry cylinder!(meaning no fuel in it or going to it) this stuff can cause serious damage to a diesel piston if dry.
As stated before you must get fuel to the injection pump first and foremost before you bother with anything else.

oreillw

Post by oreillw » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:31 pm

The brass piping out off the top of the injectors returning to the fuel tank and one of the filters is rusted and broken off as it goes across the top of the engine. would this need to be repaired before trying to start the engine?

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:55 pm

The pipo you are talking about is called leak off pipe. There is a constant flow of fuel returning to the tank in the pipe when the engine is running. You will have to fix the pipe before you start the engine, or you will have fuel leaking onto the engine and this can result in a fire. You MUST repair all faults in the fuel system and bleed the complete system correctly before you attempt to start the enguine. You must also change the fuel filters and clean the lift pump and possibily change the old fuel in the tank to new fuel, before starting. Air in the system prevents the injector pump from pumping out fuel to the injectors and old fuel will not ignite properly. Tow starting will not help if there if faults in the fuel system.

rid54

Post by rid54 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:49 pm

The fuel system needs to be in full working order, as has been said. The fuel circuit depends on the lift pump taking fuel from the tank and delivering it, at a pressure, to the filters. From the filters, the fuel is led to the injection pump, where there is an overflow "branch", which leads fuel back to the tank. The injection pump works with the fuel pressure existing at the inlet, and this pressure is depending on the return spring in the lift pump and the restriction in the overflow line. The return (overflow) line also collects spillover fluid from the injectors and leads it back to the tank. A broken return line will cause considerable fuel leakage when the lift pump is at work. The lift pump has a hand lever, so the system can be primed and tested (to a point) without turning the engine. Bleed screws are present at several places, the "last one" is on the injection pump. All air has to be expelled from the system. If air enters the high-pressure system, the injectors must be bled, which is a bit more of a hassle than bleeding the low-pressure parts. When the system is primed, verify that the "stop" and speed regulator arms *at the pump* are in the "run" position before trying to start the engine.

oreillw

Post by oreillw » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:19 pm

There is new fresh diesel in the tank. I have fuel going through all the system . I bleeded the system this evening. my wife using the hand pump I opened two bleed screws on the injection pump - one at a time. One in the lower body of the pump and then one in the upper section of the pump. there was some air at first but then fuel flowed out freely from each bleeding point/screw. I opened an inlet pipe then to one of the injectors. I cranked the engine then but nothing /no fuel was coming out the pipe so I presume something is wrong with the injection pump. There is no fuel going to the injectors.Rgs Willie

philedge

Post by philedge » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:47 pm

Its quite possible that the fuel pump works from the hand lever but doesnt work when driven by the engine. Try cranking the engine with a fresh battery and check youre getting fuel out of the bleed screws when the engine is driving the pump and not hand operated.

I dont know your injector pump but if its got a stop lever make sure its in the 'run' position!!
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

skyrydr2

Post by skyrydr2 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:10 am

The front lever on top of pump I believe needs to be fully turned anti-clockwise (counterclockwise as we say it in the US) until its stops at adjustment screw. Then crank engine. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to see fuel at the injector! You will need a good battery, a really good set of jumper cables and a running vehicle to jump from for this ! There is no shortcut for bleeding the injectors .
Once you get fuel at injectors tighten them up and crank till you see good puffs of smoke . Then let starter cool and battery charge up for a few minutes and try again but hit it with start fluid while cranking and it should start. if it starts and stalls it needs a bit more bleeding at filters and pump body.
If you do not see good puffs of smoke from exaust do not spray starting fluid! Also be sure speed regulator is at least half position or more .
If your engine has a compression release lever you can lift it to release compression while bleeding injectors! Makes the starter a lot happier!

oreillw

Post by oreillw » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:48 pm

I want to remove the diesel injection pump and get it serviced .There are marks /lines embedded into the frame of the engine where the injetio pump is mounted. do I just need to mark/note the position here before I remove it so it goes back in the exact same position/ Rgs Willie

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:39 am

YES

tomryall

Post by tomryall » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:53 pm

I would think you will have to remove the timing cover so you can time the pump correctly ,

db2d

Post by db2d » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:54 pm

There is a scribed line on the mounting flange of the fuel injector pump that lines up with a line on the timing case back plate. Check this before removing the pump so that the pump can be refitted in the same position.
The pump is driven by a short shaft that has a master spline so that the pump can not be replaced in the wrong position.