880 Selectamatic safety starter switch

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

Please note the Forum Site is not managed by David Brown Tractor Club Ltd only hosted

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email callysmith95@outlook,com giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderator: admin

philedge

Re: 880 Selectamatic safety starter switch

Post by philedge » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:09 pm

DRM wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:22 pm

Just need to find a suitable switch.
If you cant find an original switch or arent bothered about keeping things original, then theres plenty of motorbike brake light switches that look like they could be used. If you search ebay for "bsa brake light switch" theres lots of options. If the current rating of the switch isnt enough for the start solenoid then you can wire a relay to the switch and use a contact from the relay to enable the starter solenoid.
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

db2d

Post by db2d » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:09 am

Brake light switch for DB tractors available from www.davidbrownparts.com

bluebilly

Post by bluebilly » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:51 am

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago and I had a spare safety switch from a MF 240. I still had the plastic mounting backet fitted, so I machined the MF switch threaded section down to fit the bracket and drilled & threaded 3 grub screws in to hold it in place. It works well, and doesn't look out of place.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:04 pm

It is not a brake light switch he is after db2d, it is the safety switch for the clutch pedal he is missing and having trouble finding. It was suggested that a brake light switch might be adapted by another member.

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:38 pm

cobbaddog— I am well aware of the posters problem and the original switch is very similar to the brake light switch used on DB tractors. People have adapted and used these switches for years.

DRM

Post by DRM » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:56 pm

Thanks to everyone for their replies and help. I’ll measure the solenoid current next time I get chance and will probably go down the brake light switch route, with or without a relay as necessary.

Thanks again.

David

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:15 pm

Thanks db2d but there was an earlier post stating that the high amperage may not make the brake light switch suitable.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:41 pm

The oiriginal clutch pedal operated safety starter switch is wery difficult to find, i available at all, and have so been for a long time. A brake switch has therefor been used as a sustitute for many years, with or without a relay, and this is known by a lot of people, working with David Brown tractors in Europe. Cobbadog, it is not nessesary for you to be cheeky, we know what we are doing.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:47 am

Sorry ollek, it is not being 'cheeky' at all. That bit of information was posted originally in this very topic by another member. I just reminded everyone of that view and when that view was posted no one said it was being cheeky, why?

tomryall

Post by tomryall » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:17 pm

Look up autoeledtricsupplies.co.uk they have a couple of switches that look like they would do, the part no's are 081402 and 081401and 081404 is a cover for these switches.

DRM

Post by DRM » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:35 pm

Thanks for looking. Will do.

David