885 Ram Cylinder Bleed Screw Leak

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

Please note the Forum Site is not managed by David Brown Tractor Club Ltd only hosted

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email callysmith95@outlook,com giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderator: admin

ScottUSA

885 Ram Cylinder Bleed Screw Leak

Post by ScottUSA » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:23 pm

Actually the leak is from between the left side front of the axle housing and the part the bleed screw screws into. In an effort to have parts on hand before disassembling, is there dedicated gasket(s) or O-rings or both used for sealing? If it is a gasket, what is the part the bleed screw goes into called?

ollek

Re: 885 Ram Cylinder Bleed Screw Leak

Post by ollek » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:07 pm

There is a steel ball betwen the ram cylinder and the bleed screw and the ball closes the drilling in the ram cylinder when the screw is tightened. The leak at this point is most likely to be because the ball is missing or damaged. Please see the following link https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 7ar1289887 ref 25 in the picture is the bleed screw and the following line on the text page (no ref number) is the 5/16" diameter steel ball.

ScottUSA

Post by ScottUSA » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:52 pm

Lollek, the leak is between the cast part bolted and the axle housing, not the bleed screw itself. I didn't find the part name to enable looking for the gasket, O-ring or whatever seals it. The book I have has a picture of it in paragraph 261, figure 281 - "Bleed The Hydraulic System", but the instructions refering to figure 281 only mentions the bleed screw.

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:04 pm

If you mean that the leak is betwen the ram cylinder and the rear axle, please have a look in the link I supplied. The O-ring ref 26 is cleary shown in the drawing. The bleed screw goes into the front of the ram cylinder. This is also clearely visible in the drawing. In order to get to the O-ring you first need to remove the ramshaft (ref 1) and then rermove the ram cylinder (ref 4) by pulling the cylinder to the rear. There is also a connector (ref 31) bolted to the front end of the ram cylinder and 2 O-rings (ref 30 and 33), one for the pressure pipe and one for the oil feed to the cylinder. First you said "Ram Cylinder Bleed Screw Leak" and I anvered that. Noew you are saying that the blered asreew do not leak, but the leak is "between the cast part bolted and the axle housing". What do you really mean as there is nothing bolted to the rear axle in front of the ram cylinder (please see the link I have supplied.

ScottUSA

Post by ScottUSA » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:45 pm

That. Is not very convenient! Ollek, you know your way around these tractors, the "connector", the piece with the bleed screw bolted to the axle housing, it won't move forward enough to access the O-rings? I don't see in the schematic where it's attached to the lift cylinder "case" other than possibly by bolts holding the "connector" to axle housing. Do the ramshaft and lift cylinder both have to come off to replace those two O-rings?

Better order lift cylinder piston rings too. Probably a good time to go after the internal hydraulic oil leak that keeps the loader from working when the tractor is pointed down hill.

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:37 am

I can not understand what you are talking about. The bleed screw is screved into the front end of the ram cylinder, not to the axél case or the connector. Only the connector has to come of if you want to replace the two smaller O-rings. The ramshaft and the ram cylinder has to come off if you want to repace the bigger O-ring in front of the ram cylinder. There is no piston rings at the lift cylinder piston, but a O-ring and a back up ring, ref 17 and 18 in the drawing I supplied. Please supply a picture of the region where the leakage is.