Dead Clutch Pedal

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

PoppyShan885

Dead Clutch Pedal

Post by PoppyShan885 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:43 pm

My son-in-law is looking into buying a ‘65 990A Implematic. We’ve been unable to see the tractor due to the Coronavirus issue, plus it is 7 hours away. He was told the tractor would not go into gear. Upon asking for a video, we received the following as part of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f8lFZj ... ture=share

What do you think could be the cause of this? I’m thinking it could be as simple as a broken rod/connector/bolt/spring? Would something internally within the clutch cause a pedal to be “dead” in this way?

Thanks as always for your help!

rid54

Re: Dead Clutch Pedal

Post by rid54 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:34 pm

In the video I think one can see the pedal moving, but the cross-shaft doesn't follow the movement. If there is a pin securing the lever to the cross-shaft, it may have been sheared or lost. That would be a simple problem to solve. However, no info is gained about the clutch mechanism - it may have seized.
Last edited by rid54 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gard

Post by Gard » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:13 pm

The shaft that is below the one that the pedal mounts to should be rotating by way of a lever that connects the 2 shafts. This is the cross shaft that actually operates the clutch mechanism. It is hard for me to tell if something is missing or just installed incorrectly and why it would of been disassembled in the first place. I would price the tractor assuming you will need to split the tractor to get it all sorted out. You may get lucky and find there is something in the external linkage that fixes everything. I suppose it could be something as simple as the spring being disconnected.
Attached are a couple of old photos from my 990 implematic
Attachments
0406151736.jpg
0406151736.jpg (72.98 KiB) Viewed 573 times
0406151729.jpg
0406151729.jpg (63.47 KiB) Viewed 573 times

blissakpo

Post by blissakpo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:28 pm

I agree with Gard - The clutch lever (with the hook on) should locate above the roller - (The pin with the holes in it) and the spring looks to be stretched so nothing will work as it is. If its something more serious inside is anyones guess. Attached is a photo of my 950 showing how the cluch assembly should be installed. Hope that helps - Andy
Attachments
IMG_20200321_171300_resized_20200321_051642479.jpg
IMG_20200321_171300_resized_20200321_051642479.jpg (226.01 KiB) Viewed 573 times

PoppyShan885

Post by PoppyShan885 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:02 pm

Another question, would this be the same clutch setup as on a 990 Selectamatic? Chocolate and white, dual range transmission.

JimCochrane

Post by JimCochrane » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:28 pm

It looks like someone has screwed out the free play adjuster bolt so the clutch pedel cant do anythink. the bolt needs screwed back in untill you have 1 to 1.5 inches of free play . there should be a spring on there too.

PoppyShan885

Post by PoppyShan885 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:44 pm

JimCochrane wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:28 pm
It looks like someone has screwed out the free play adjuster bolt so the clutch pedel cant do anythink. the bolt needs screwed back in untill you have 1 to 1.5 inches of free play . there should be a spring on there too.
Thank you, Jim! I was getting ready to post this on Facebook hoping you’d see it!

Is the setup the same as on a dual range 990 Selectamatic?

PoppyShan885

Post by PoppyShan885 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:51 pm

blissakpo wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:28 pm
I agree with Gard - The clutch lever (with the hook on) should locate above the roller - (The pin with the holes in it) and the spring looks to be stretched so nothing will work as it is. If its something more serious inside is anyones guess. Attached is a photo of my 950 showing how the cluch assembly should be installed. Hope that helps - Andy
Thanks Andy!! Is there a pin holding the clutch lever in the “forked” part of the pedal? It doesn’t appear the hook is broken, so other than a pin, I’m not sure what would hold it there??

blissakpo

Post by blissakpo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:35 am

The hooked part of the clutch lever should be hard up against the roller and is kept there by the spring, when you depress the clutch pedal the lever rolls round the pin and when you re-engage the clutch the spring brings it back. Previous comment about the free play adjustment bolt localed at the bottom end of the lever - I've just measured mine (I've got two) and both are set at about 1/2" It looks like someone has been fiddling with it. It may be that someone had a slipping clutch and not knowing what they were doing fiddled with everything in an attempt to cure the problem. Andy

blissakpo

Post by blissakpo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:56 am

The spring should measure about 4" coil to coil in it's "at rest" position. Who ever managed to stretch the spring in your video past it's point of no return has had to use considerable force. You could not do it by hand. Andy

rid54

Post by rid54 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:00 am

The lever that sits on the cross-shaft looks to be clamped in position. Perhaps the joint has slipped, if the clamp has been loosened and the lever now sits in the depressed position while the cross-shaft is still in the normal position. that might be easily checked I suppose but needs hands-on, of course.

blissakpo

Post by blissakpo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:14 am

Clutch Pedal Spring - Implematic and Selectamatic are available from David Brown Parts Ltd in the UK - Part Number 624909 at 14 GBP if that helps.

Also there is a video on You Tube regarding the replacement of a clutch on a 3 cylinder DB Title is in German but video is in English. Its not for a 990 but the procedure is basically the same. Its not necessary to split the tractor to do it but fuel tank, clutch cover and gearbox cover need to be removed to gain access. It's quite informative if your stuck in with nothing to do.

As someone said it's basically a non runner so price it accordingly. I have found over the years that if someone has been messing with one thing then they have probably messed with everything - A clue is sheared bolts all over the tractor so don't assume this is the only problem you will find - Andy

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:50 am

it would appear from the video that the owner has tried to force the clutch apart by the free play screw. probably the clutch fingers have disintegrated and nothing you do will help matters
Certainly needs splitting and a I would be certain you should reckon on a complete new clutch assembly as a minimum. However there may well be damage to the forks etc as well. won't be cheap